• 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-05-29T16:48:23Z by yuri
ufa
ufa
148 Posts

Pinned topic GPFS4.1 per-socket license on LPARs

‏2014-05-27T19:55:46Z |

Dear all,

the new per-socket Licensing is much simpler to understand in the case of non-virtualized servers.

However, e.g. in the case of LPARs on power where one can assign fractions of CPUs, how would that relate to sockets? The web page on licensing says: "Licensee must obtain entitlements for each socket on the virtual servers made available to the program." Its a while i dealt with AIX, and I had nothing to do with LPARs, but if there are more than 1 CPU (=core) on a CPU module (i.e. on a socket), and you assign 2 CPUs, does one have to make sure they are both on one socket (I almost doubt that can be done easily). Or is it so that you count "virtual sockets", i.e. up to the number of CPUs which are on one socket one can cover with one socket license, regardless which physical CPU cores are actually used by the server?

ufa

Updated on 2014-05-28T08:29:17Z at 2014-05-28T08:29:17Z by ufa
  • yuri
    yuri
    294 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: GPFS4.1 per-socket license on LPARs

‏2014-05-29T16:48:23Z  

The correct interpretation is the latter: 'you count "virtual sockets", i.e. up to the number of CPUs which are on one socket one can cover with one socket license, regardless which physical CPU cores are actually used by the server'.  We'll update the FAQ to make this clarification.

yuri

• yuri
    yuri
    294 Posts

Re: GPFS4.1 per-socket license on LPARs

‏2014-05-29T16:48:23Z  

The correct interpretation is the latter: 'you count "virtual sockets", i.e. up to the number of CPUs which are on one socket one can cover with one socket license, regardless which physical CPU cores are actually used by the server'.  We'll update the FAQ to make this clarification.

yuri