Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-12-11T00:12:52Z by mparadis
rightfoot
rightfoot
7 Posts

Pinned topic 4GB FC Cisco switch only shows 2GB

‏2013-11-28T18:40:34Z |

I installed a 4GB Cisco module to replace a 2GB I am currently running.

However, I see it running at 2GB only and it won't go into 4GB mode/speed on the storage. Port one is connected directly to a storage unit.

Now, before I do this, I was wondering, could it be because all of my FC boards on the blades are only 2GB at the moment? Perhaps once I change one or all of the boards to 4GB, then the Cisco switch will go into 4GB mode?

• Novikov_Alexander
    Novikov_Alexander
    1147 Posts

Re: 4GB FC Cisco switch only shows 2GB

‏2013-11-29T19:49:23Z  

Dear mike,

what is the storage used? Looks like it also used 2Gb FC, the same as all of your FC boards on the blades.

Could you post AMM Service Data from your BladeCenter.

Regards,
    Alexander Novikov
    Russia, Moscow

• rightfoot
    rightfoot
    7 Posts

‏2013-11-29T23:36:14Z  

The storage is IQStor iq2880 fibre channel which supports 4GB.

I'm not sure where to find AMM information? Isn't that only in the advanced mm? I'm running the 73P9326 but don't see anything for AMM.

• rightfoot
    rightfoot
    7 Posts

‏2013-11-30T01:52:02Z  

Either way, the ESX servers never see the storage when using the cisco switch so I've had to go back to the 2GB switch until I figure this out. The switch and the storage can see each other and are talking at 4GB but ESX never sees the storage.

However, all of my HBA's are still 2GB. I tried setting each bay (blade) through the cisco management function to 2GB and that didn't make any difference. I then lowered the switch speed to the storage to 2GB and no difference.

By the way, will a passthrough switch allow me to use different speeds on different blades? Say one blade has a 2GB, another has a 4GB, another has an 8GB? Are passthrough modules limited by speed?

Updated on 2013-11-30T03:00:00Z at 2013-11-30T03:00:00Z by rightfoot
  • Novikov_Alexander
    Novikov_Alexander
    1147 Posts

‏2013-11-30T05:10:03Z  
    • rightfoot
    • ‏2013-11-30T01:52:02Z

Either way, the ESX servers never see the storage when using the cisco switch so I've had to go back to the 2GB switch until I figure this out. The switch and the storage can see each other and are talking at 4GB but ESX never sees the storage.

However, all of my HBA's are still 2GB. I tried setting each bay (blade) through the cisco management function to 2GB and that didn't make any difference. I then lowered the switch speed to the storage to 2GB and no difference.

By the way, will a passthrough switch allow me to use different speeds on different blades? Say one blade has a 2GB, another has a 4GB, another has an 8GB? Are passthrough modules limited by speed?

Hi mike,

why you now talking about passthrough switch? Initially you started with 4GB FC Cisco switch questions?

Could you inform us about your FC module p/n? There are detailed info about modules on IBM Redbooks Web site.

If ESX servers never see storage, it means that FC zoning is not configured yet. Could you post current configuration of your 4GB FC Cisco switch.

Unfortunately AMM Service Data is not available for your Management Module (MM).

Regards,
    Alexander Novikov
    Russia, Moscow

• mparadis
    mparadis
    33 Posts

‏2013-12-09T02:51:10Z  

Hi mike,

why you now talking about passthrough switch? Initially you started with 4GB FC Cisco switch questions?

Could you inform us about your FC module p/n? There are detailed info about modules on IBM Redbooks Web site.

If ESX servers never see storage, it means that FC zoning is not configured yet. Could you post current configuration of your 4GB FC Cisco switch.

Unfortunately AMM Service Data is not available for your Management Module (MM).

Regards,
    Alexander Novikov
    Russia, Moscow

I brought that up because I have more parts so instead of spending too much time on any one thing, I was looking at my options so asked the question.

The FC module I am using is;

Fibre SM  
    Qlgc
    n/a
    n/a
    48P7062
    59P6621
    ----
      21DA E62C E6EB CDCD ECBE 00C0 DD02 1C67   
      Fibre SM  
    CSCO
    n/a
    n/a
    39Y9281
    39Y9282
    ZK12F27K401F

9A29 A49E 3BEF DB11 8000 0011 1185 8B09   

It can see 2GB storage of one iqstor unit but it cannot seem to see the storage pools on a second iqstor device that is connected and seen by the HBA on the LS20. I am assuming I need to set up zoning on the cisco switch since the  2GB Qlogic doesn't need it.

Basically, this install is super simple, no need for various zones, everything can be in the same zone. I'm trying to find a proper doc on the module so that I can configure it to one single zone. On the cisco switch, I do see that the Default Zone is where both the switch and the Bay 1 are so I need to add the storage to the same zone is my assumption.

I am happy to post current config but am not sure how.

Updated on 2013-12-09T03:37:23Z at 2013-12-09T03:37:23Z by mparadis
  • mparadis
    mparadis
    33 Posts

‏2013-12-09T16:49:44Z  

The above is a mess so let me try to explain again.

The reason I brought up the passthrough switch is because I already have some but am not sure at what speed they work.

The cisco FC switch might be overkill because I really don't need to get in fabrics and zones for this application, it's a very straight forward storage to BladeCenter, nothing else. I asked about the passthrough switch thinking it might be easier to simply pop one in, connect the storage to the blade and be done with it.

The cisco switch seems to be able to see the storage on the Qlogic switch however, it doesn't seem to have access to the guests on it.

Updated on 2013-12-09T16:55:03Z at 2013-12-09T16:55:03Z by mparadis
  • mparadis
    mparadis
    33 Posts

SOLVED: Re: 4GB FC Cisco switch only shows 2GB

‏2013-12-11T00:12:52Z  

Wow, wasn't able to reply all day. I kept getting nothing but a subject change and attachment option.

Anyhow, I solved it by changing the port to FL from F. That will work fine for my application.

Thanks.