• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-11-07T13:23:04Z by pdubovitsky
cc_Newbie
cc_Newbie
1 Post

Pinned topic Self-registration with ClearQuest

‏2013-04-17T04:37:35Z |

Hi There,

We have some need to allow self-registration with ClearQuest for certain database. We have integrated CQ with LDAP. Appreciate your ideas on the same.

One way i thought is too have link in CQ startup screen for self-registration which will get all relevant info from user and via perl script create new account in CQ.

• AdamSkwersky
    AdamSkwersky
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Self-registration with ClearQuest

‏2013-06-18T14:33:14Z  

Here is another idea. You could allow the user to login to CQ using a special username used only for new user requests (i.e. user: newuser password: newuser).

The users only has permission to submit a new record of type "UserRequest" which is a stateful record type that contains fields the user can enter data in for their new user request. You can also restrict the user from creating or running any queries putting them in restricted mode.

If you want the user to be able to create users on the spot, then when they click Submit, a hook runs to create the user.

If you want the user to be approved by an admin first, then you would have the admin run a query which shows 'submitted' UserRequest's. They can then perform the "AcceptUser" action on the record which would do the user creation.

• Parke
    Parke
    1 Post

‏2013-05-02T20:59:01Z  

What I have seen work is a URL where people filled in the required fields, saved to a csv file and nightly the perl code ran to add users.  Remember to limit the groups that can be selected.

• CQAdmin
    CQAdmin
    103 Posts

‏2013-06-07T10:26:33Z  

Hello,

I believe you are thinking in the correct direction. Just adding little details to your steps-

1. Create a link on the Login screen of CQ. As soon as a user clicks here, it should re-direct to a page where user has to enter his unique id and password. This should be matched with the LDAP server.

2. After entering the credentials, request will go to LDAP server for authentication.

3. LDAP server should return all the information of that user in return (like email, phone etc.) , which you can receive to another html form.

4. If user is agree with his information, a button should be there to say "OK"

5. This "OK" button should trigger the Perl script which can create the user.

Advantage of this scheme-

1. User should just provide his unique id (LDAP unique ID) and his password. No load on him to provide all the information.

2. Any time, any user can access it and can get the instant CQ id.

All the Best...!!!

:-)

• AdamSkwersky
    AdamSkwersky
    2 Posts

‏2013-06-18T14:33:14Z  

Here is another idea. You could allow the user to login to CQ using a special username used only for new user requests (i.e. user: newuser password: newuser).

The users only has permission to submit a new record of type "UserRequest" which is a stateful record type that contains fields the user can enter data in for their new user request. You can also restrict the user from creating or running any queries putting them in restricted mode.

If you want the user to be able to create users on the spot, then when they click Submit, a hook runs to create the user.

If you want the user to be approved by an admin first, then you would have the admin run a query which shows 'submitted' UserRequest's. They can then perform the "AcceptUser" action on the record which would do the user creation.

• CQAdmin
    CQAdmin
    103 Posts

‏2013-06-19T11:30:05Z  

My 2 cents-

This needs to perform a schema change. And if you want to make any/subsequent changes further, create more versions. In my view, user creation automated process should be outside ClearQuest. I appreciate Adam's view regarding getting approval, but again good if all this is outside of CQ.

• pdubovitsky
    pdubovitsky
    376 Posts

‏2013-11-07T13:23:04Z  
    • CQAdmin
    • ‏2013-06-19T11:30:05Z

My 2 cents-

This needs to perform a schema change. And if you want to make any/subsequent changes further, create more versions. In my view, user creation automated process should be outside ClearQuest. I appreciate Adam's view regarding getting approval, but again good if all this is outside of CQ.

For user management, it can be a separate schema and database for user management.

Both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages, but implementing user management in ClearQuest gives an ability to introduce formal review/approval process, simplifies reporting and automated user notifications, etc.

Pavel