• 19 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-01T21:52:59Z by CalebMF
CalebMF
CalebMF
55 Posts

Pinned topic Tables from Data Source not showing in Metadata Wizard

‏2013-09-18T21:23:18Z |

Hello

I am in Framework Manager, for Cognos 10.1, and I am attempting to add a table from my Data Source connection to SQL Server 2008 (OLE DB).

But when I get to the point to view the tables and click the + sign to expand the tables within my DB, non show up. Not even any of the tables that I am currently using in my model.

Has anyone else had this happen before? Am I going about the wrong way of adding a new table to my current existing model, using the same Data Source?

Thanks for any help.

Updated on 2013-09-18T21:24:40Z at 2013-09-18T21:24:40Z by CalebMF
  • CalebMF
    CalebMF
    55 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Tables from Data Source not showing in Metadata Wizard

‏2013-10-01T21:52:59Z  
    • OpherB
    • ‏2013-09-20T22:32:01Z

At this point you have the following, as far as I can understand:

1. A working connection to the data source (for existing reports).
    2. A working connection to the data source when testing in FM.
    3. An error condition when attempting to download the metadata for your catalog.

I suggest you take that to a SQL Server forum (or maybe a Google search) and see if there is any information on how to determine what database parameters need to be given to FM. I'm not a DBA nor a Cognos Admin, so I'm in as deep as I can go.

Good luck,
    Opher

So I figured out what the issue was! Man, I am so glad.

I feel stupid that I didn't catch this previously, but for the sake of the community, I thought it best to put my answer on here.

When setting up the connection, I named the description, then specified the connection correctly. In the next screen, it asks for a "Server Name" and a "Database Name", I had entered the Server Name correctly, but in a rush, I left "Database" name blank and entered the Database Name in the "Application Name" field. This made it so Cognos didn't know which DB to connect to, thus not showing my tables.

After hours of trouble shooting, it all came down to this little error. But man, am I so happy it's fixed.

Thanks for everything!

• OpherB
    OpherB
    679 Posts

‏2013-09-18T22:53:39Z  

The most common reason for this to happen is a change in the security matrix within the database. Have you checked with the DBA to determine if the login credentials you use have been changed?

Good luck,
    Opher

• CalebMF
    CalebMF
    55 Posts

‏2013-09-19T16:39:13Z  
    • OpherB
    • ‏2013-09-18T22:53:39Z

The most common reason for this to happen is a change in the security matrix within the database. Have you checked with the DBA to determine if the login credentials you use have been changed?

Good luck,
    Opher

Opher

Thank you for your reply. We currently store our SQL Server DB on it's own server. I am able to login to this server with the same credentials I am using within Cognos Framework. I am then also able to login to "SQL Server Management Studio Express" with the same credentials and see all the tables that my model uses, and more that I would need to add to my model.

Could there be something else that I am missing?

Thank you

• OpherB
    OpherB
    679 Posts

‏2013-09-19T18:38:27Z  
    • CalebMF
    • ‏2013-09-19T16:39:13Z

Opher

Thank you for your reply. We currently store our SQL Server DB on it's own server. I am able to login to this server with the same credentials I am using within Cognos Framework. I am then also able to login to "SQL Server Management Studio Express" with the same credentials and see all the tables that my model uses, and more that I would need to add to my model.

Could there be something else that I am missing?

Thank you

Your credentials in FM are to authenticate that you can use the tool. The login credentials used for the data source are stored in Cognos Connection, Administration UI elements. You will have to check that those credentials are working.

Regards,

Opher

• CalebMF
    CalebMF
    55 Posts

‏2013-09-19T19:00:54Z  
    • OpherB
    • ‏2013-09-19T18:38:27Z

Your credentials in FM are to authenticate that you can use the tool. The login credentials used for the data source are stored in Cognos Connection, Administration UI elements. You will have to check that those credentials are working.

Regards,

Opher

Opher

I went into IBM Cognos Connection > Secuirt > Users, Groups and Roles and made sure that the login that is being used in FWM are all included under the roles of "Directory Administrators", "System Administrators", and "Report Administrators".

I then went into IBM Cognos Connection > Secuirt > Capabilities > Import Relational Metadata and made sure that the three roles mentoned above all have ALL permissions granted (Read, Write, Execute, Set Policy and Traverse). And they do.

Are there any other Capabilities I should be looking into to make sure that these have permissions granted? Am I looking at the correct roles?

Thanks

• OpherB
    OpherB
    679 Posts

‏2013-09-19T19:36:06Z  
    • CalebMF
    • ‏2013-09-19T19:00:54Z

Opher

I went into IBM Cognos Connection > Secuirt > Users, Groups and Roles and made sure that the login that is being used in FWM are all included under the roles of "Directory Administrators", "System Administrators", and "Report Administrators".

I then went into IBM Cognos Connection > Secuirt > Capabilities > Import Relational Metadata and made sure that the three roles mentoned above all have ALL permissions granted (Read, Write, Execute, Set Policy and Traverse). And they do.

Are there any other Capabilities I should be looking into to make sure that these have permissions granted? Am I looking at the correct roles?

Thanks

That's all I can think of. Maybe someone else here has additional suggestions.

Good luck,
    Opher

• CalebMF
    CalebMF
    55 Posts

‏2013-09-19T21:38:20Z  

If anyone else could help with this, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you

• CalebMF
    CalebMF
    55 Posts

‏2013-09-19T22:22:01Z  
    • OpherB
    • ‏2013-09-19T19:36:06Z

That's all I can think of. Maybe someone else here has additional suggestions.

Good luck,
    Opher

Opher

I tried to synchronize the model, and got the attached error. Does this shed any light into the problem?

Thanks

• OpherB
    OpherB
    679 Posts

‏2013-09-19T22:26:16Z  
    • CalebMF
    • ‏2013-09-19T22:22:01Z

Opher

I tried to synchronize the model, and got the attached error. Does this shed any light into the problem?

Thanks

Well, if the catalog being searched for does not exist it's not a Cognos problem. Have you checked the catalog name with the DBA?

• CalebMF
    CalebMF
    55 Posts

‏2013-09-19T22:30:24Z  
    • OpherB
    • ‏2013-09-19T22:26:16Z

Well, if the catalog being searched for does not exist it's not a Cognos problem. Have you checked the catalog name with the DBA?

Attached is a screenshot of the SQL DB Name. They are the same, unless I am missing somerthing.

Also, I should note, data is currently pulling fine when running reports in the Cognos Portal.

Updated on 2013-09-19T22:31:49Z at 2013-09-19T22:31:49Z by CalebMF
  • OpherB
    OpherB
    679 Posts

‏2013-09-19T22:36:40Z  
    • CalebMF
    • ‏2013-09-19T22:30:24Z

Attached is a screenshot of the SQL DB Name. They are the same, unless I am missing somerthing.

Also, I should note, data is currently pulling fine when running reports in the Cognos Portal.

I'm not a DBA and have never been clear about "database name", "schema name", "catalog name" and various other components they have in there. I suggest reviewing with the DBA...or someone with more experience than I have.

Current reports running fine: Were they converted from some prior enviornment?

• CalebMF
    CalebMF
    55 Posts

‏2013-09-19T22:38:52Z  
    • OpherB
    • ‏2013-09-19T22:36:40Z

I'm not a DBA and have never been clear about "database name", "schema name", "catalog name" and various other components they have in there. I suggest reviewing with the DBA...or someone with more experience than I have.

Current reports running fine: Were they converted from some prior enviornment?

I appreciate your help thus far. No. Except back in mid August the physical server was moved to a cloud based server. I changed the connection of the Data Source, but as far as I know nothing else changed. And if it did, I would have no idea where to begin asking questions :)

• OpherB
    OpherB
    679 Posts

‏2013-09-19T22:50:34Z  
    • CalebMF
    • ‏2013-09-19T22:38:52Z

I appreciate your help thus far. No. Except back in mid August the physical server was moved to a cloud based server. I changed the connection of the Data Source, but as far as I know nothing else changed. And if it did, I would have no idea where to begin asking questions :)

Well, here's something to try if you haven't already: In FM did you test the data source connection?

It may produce the same error, a different error, or show a good connection. That may be a clue.

Are you saying there are no DBAs in your shop?

I'm really at a loss after that. Did you check the FM documentation guide on "Importing Metadata"? There may be some troubleshooting tips in the book.

Good luck,
    Opher

• CalebMF
    CalebMF
    55 Posts

‏2013-09-20T17:52:59Z  
    • OpherB
    • ‏2013-09-19T22:50:34Z

Well, here's something to try if you haven't already: In FM did you test the data source connection?

It may produce the same error, a different error, or show a good connection. That may be a clue.

Are you saying there are no DBAs in your shop?

I'm really at a loss after that. Did you check the FM documentation guide on "Importing Metadata"? There may be some troubleshooting tips in the book.

Good luck,
    Opher

Opher,

How would I check the Data Source connection within Framework? I know how to check it in Cognos Connection, but not in Framework.

Unfortunately, there are no DBA at my company. We outsource our Server Administration to an outside IT company; but they are a bust when it comes to questions. They throw problems out the window saying it is a Cognos issue, just because they don't understand it.

Thanks for all of your help though!

• OpherB
    OpherB
    679 Posts

‏2013-09-20T18:42:04Z  
    • CalebMF
    • ‏2013-09-20T17:52:59Z

Opher,

How would I check the Data Source connection within Framework? I know how to check it in Cognos Connection, but not in Framework.

Unfortunately, there are no DBA at my company. We outsource our Server Administration to an outside IT company; but they are a bust when it comes to questions. They throw problems out the window saying it is a Cognos issue, just because they don't understand it.

Thanks for all of your help though!

In the left-side panel this is a folder for "Data Sources". Open it, right-click on the source you want to test and select "Test".

Hope that works.

Good luck,
    Opher

• CalebMF
    CalebMF
    55 Posts

‏2013-09-20T18:55:19Z  
    • OpherB
    • ‏2013-09-20T18:42:04Z

In the left-side panel this is a folder for "Data Sources". Open it, right-click on the source you want to test and select "Test".

Hope that works.

Good luck,
    Opher

Opher

That worked. I right clicked on the data source, and clicked test. It came back and said "The data source was tested successfully"

Oh well! Hopefully someone can give me some direction. Thanks for everything!

• CalebMF
    CalebMF
    55 Posts

‏2013-09-20T20:28:54Z  
    • OpherB
    • ‏2013-09-20T18:42:04Z

Hope that works.

Good luck,
    Opher

Opher

You may or may not know this. I looked at the "Cogserver" log from yesterday, and came across an error within the log "QE-DEF-0312 An error occurred while calling the content store for identity information".

I then went to the IBM site and searched, and came to this page "http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21393889". It suggests "Ensure the Dispatcher settings are defined correctly in Cognos Configuration. e.g." I then went into my Cognos portal: Connection > Configuration > Dispatchers and Services> . If I then click the "Set Properties - Configuration" at the top right, it brings me to the Settings screen for Configuration. There is a Category in this list that says "Environment - Metadata Information Service URI" and the value is set to "/lineageUIService" with a Default of yes.

Unfortunately, I don't know where to go from there. I am not exactly sure what I am looking for or if I am even on a correct track.

Would you be able to see anything if I were to send the log?

Updated on 2013-09-20T20:29:17Z at 2013-09-20T20:29:17Z by CalebMF
  • OpherB
    OpherB
    679 Posts

‏2013-09-20T22:32:01Z  
    • CalebMF
    • ‏2013-09-20T20:28:54Z

Opher

You may or may not know this. I looked at the "Cogserver" log from yesterday, and came across an error within the log "QE-DEF-0312 An error occurred while calling the content store for identity information".

I then went to the IBM site and searched, and came to this page "http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21393889". It suggests "Ensure the Dispatcher settings are defined correctly in Cognos Configuration. e.g." I then went into my Cognos portal: Connection > Configuration > Dispatchers and Services> . If I then click the "Set Properties - Configuration" at the top right, it brings me to the Settings screen for Configuration. There is a Category in this list that says "Environment - Metadata Information Service URI" and the value is set to "/lineageUIService" with a Default of yes.

Unfortunately, I don't know where to go from there. I am not exactly sure what I am looking for or if I am even on a correct track.

Would you be able to see anything if I were to send the log?

3. An error condition when attempting to download the metadata for your catalog.

I suggest you take that to a SQL Server forum (or maybe a Google search) and see if there is any information on how to determine what database parameters need to be given to FM. I'm not a DBA nor a Cognos Admin, so I'm in as deep as I can go.

Good luck,
    Opher

• Carlos.Hernandez
    Carlos.Hernandez
    79 Posts

‏2013-09-23T23:03:00Z  

CableMF, can you post a screenshot of your data source? Showing server name, catalog, etc

• CalebMF
    CalebMF
    55 Posts

‏2013-10-01T21:52:59Z  
    • OpherB
    • ‏2013-09-20T22:32:01Z

Good luck,
    Opher

So I figured out what the issue was! Man, I am so glad.

I feel stupid that I didn't catch this previously, but for the sake of the community, I thought it best to put my answer on here.

When setting up the connection, I named the description, then specified the connection correctly. In the next screen, it asks for a "Server Name" and a "Database Name", I had entered the Server Name correctly, but in a rush, I left "Database" name blank and entered the Database Name in the "Application Name" field. This made it so Cognos didn't know which DB to connect to, thus not showing my tables.

After hours of trouble shooting, it all came down to this little error. But man, am I so happy it's fixed.

Thanks for everything!