Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
No replies
dasprakas
dasprakas
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic X3550 1913 Controller kernel self test failed

‏2013-06-26T11:01:47Z |
Hello there,

I have X3550 M1913 and hitting an issue which seems to be a hardware problem , hence wanted to take experts view here to overcome this issue.

On boot up it gives the error in the subject line:

Fatal error: Controller kernel self test failed
<< Press any key to continue

If continue then it eventually reports failing POST check. I've flashed updated the BIOS, the RAID controller version to latest using the Escape Jumper (with the Jumper near to the RAID card). Without jumper the RAID controller upgrade will fail to detect the controller.

When i removed the RAID card (IBM Server RAID 8K-l)  the system fails to boot and error LED CPU is ON. When i boot the system with RAID CARD the LEDs near the RAID card doesnt say the card is failed and ends up with the errror in subject line.

Here is what i am thinking.

1. How do i ensure that RAID controller card is the only problem and nothing on the ONBOARD chips. If i can confirm this then i would prefer buying a supported card (8K with battery)

2. Do I give up and go for software RAID, or is there anything else I should try. It seems that perhaps this problem is not in firmware but in hardware?

Is it possible to do option 2 for that i need to understand How do i completely get out the Hardware RAID and able to use my SAS disks for Software RAID.

I have given a try to disable the RAID and use the SAS disks for Software RAID. While loading ESXi or FreeBSD it doesnt detect the  hardisks.  This was the case even with BIOS SAS planner disabled in BIOS or with (Escape) Jumper.

Please help me out with any troubleshooting tips that would help me to take a call on this.

Do I give up and go for software RAID, or is there anything else I should try. It seems that perhaps this problem is not in firmware but in hardware?

Thanks in Advance;

Daniel

Updated on 2013-06-28T09:30:14Z at 2013-06-28T09:30:14Z by dasprakas