Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-08-19T23:26:24Z by andrewmcl
andrewmcl
andrewmcl
41 Posts

Pinned topic Drop Index background activities

‏2014-08-19T00:18:34Z |

The dropping of a large index can consume a significant amount of time. What are the background activities involved in the drop that consume time?

• mor
    mor
    513 Posts

Re: Drop Index background activities

‏2014-08-19T09:58:14Z  

When asking for help, always give your DB2-server version+fixpack and the operating-system-name and version, because the answers can depend on these facts...

Drop index:  tablespace updates (pages freed etc), catalog updates, packages invalidated, cached dynamic-SQL invalidated, Xquery-statements invalidated etc.

With catalog updates, there can be lock waits...

• andrewmcl
    andrewmcl
    41 Posts

Re: Drop Index background activities

‏2014-08-19T23:26:24Z  
    • mor
    • ‏2014-08-19T09:58:14Z

When asking for help, always give your DB2-server version+fixpack and the operating-system-name and version, because the answers can depend on these facts...

Drop index:  tablespace updates (pages freed etc), catalog updates, packages invalidated, cached dynamic-SQL invalidated, Xquery-statements invalidated etc.

With catalog updates, there can be lock waits...

Yes, my mistake. I should have added DB2 10.5 FP1 On SUSE 11 PL 3 (Intel 64 bit). When it frees tablespace pages I presume it has to modify each page header. Is that correct? And I presume it also modifies the compression dictionary