Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-10-04T00:48:47Z by akin
TEvans
TEvans
4 Posts

Pinned topic Workaround: JRE 7u51 blocks RMC applet-based site search

‏2014-01-15T18:03:47Z |

Bad news: the applet-based site search available with RMC 7.5.2.1 and via Technote 1642709 will  fail upon end user update to JRE 7u51 released 14 Jan, 2014.

Better news: Oracle has added an Exception Site List control panel setting that will likely serve as a workaround for end users until IBM Rational provides updated site search components to the community and you can deploy them to yours. See How can I configure the Exception Site List? at java.com.

My testing so far shows it works as advertised.

Works even with the file:// protocol, but only

• with any spaces intact (versus the encoded %20)
  • if the address to the published site's parent folder is entered in the exception site list (versus the address to the configuraton's folder itself). For example
    Works: file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/My Methods/
    Does not Work: file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/My Methods/onemethod/

I find that last condition very curious and allow that it may require more testing, but that's what I'm seeing so far.

I have confirmed with Oracle that Exception Site List entries will persist through future updates.

• JoshuaLyn
    JoshuaLyn
    3 Posts

Re: Workaround: JRE 7u51 blocks RMC applet-based site search

‏2014-02-13T06:11:57Z  

I agree this is a good work around.

However, as the article said,Exception Site List feature is used

• If application is not signed with a certificate from trusted certificate authority.
    • If application is hosted locally.
    • Jar file not having the Permission manifest attribute.
    • Application signed with an expired certificate.
    • Certificate used to sign the application cannot be checked for revocation.

RMC applet-based search is not in these cases.We have made some change in applet since jave 7u25 release. You can upgrade to RMC 7522 or use another work around which I have uploaded as an attachment

Attachments

• FQT2_April_Stevens
    FQT2_April_Stevens
    7 Posts

‏2014-07-22T17:04:38Z  

We were experiencing the search problem with 7.5.2.1.    I used IBM installation manager and did updates to my RMC.    Installation Manager says there are no further updates but I'm not sure I'm on RMC v7.5.2.2.    When I go into "Help" within RMC and review "About IBM Rational Method Composer" it stil shows Version 7.5.2.1.    Any idea why this might happen?  I'm also going to start another thread to get more visibility.

• BruceMacIsaac
    BruceMacIsaac
    72 Posts

‏2014-07-23T17:40:44Z  

We were experiencing the search problem with 7.5.2.1.    I used IBM installation manager and did updates to my RMC.    Installation Manager says there are no further updates but I'm not sure I'm on RMC v7.5.2.2.    When I go into "Help" within RMC and review "About IBM Rational Method Composer" it stil shows Version 7.5.2.1.    Any idea why this might happen?  I'm also going to start another thread to get more visibility.

See response in other thread.

• FQT2_April_Stevens
    FQT2_April_Stevens
    7 Posts

‏2014-07-23T18:06:49Z  

Thank you.    I used the other thread.   I did have to contact IBM to get some help but your answer helped too.  

• FQT2_April_Stevens
    FQT2_April_Stevens
    7 Posts

‏2014-09-18T19:41:49Z  

I'm experiencing search problems again with some users that are using 1.7 Java. (See attachment).   These users need this runtime version to run other applets.     Users using Java 1.6.0_30 and do not have any search problems.     I'm wondering if others are experiencing this problem, is there a work around and has anybody submitted a ticket to IBM for the problem?

Attachments

• akin
    akin
    7 Posts

‏2014-10-04T00:48:47Z  

I'm experiencing search problems again with some users that are using 1.7 Java. (See attachment).   These users need this runtime version to run other applets.     Users using Java 1.6.0_30 and do not have any search problems.     I'm wondering if others are experiencing this problem, is there a work around and has anybody submitted a ticket to IBM for the problem?

We didn't find such situations before,but we did find that the applet error because the certification is out of date.You can try this testfix for the applet.

Attachments