• 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-16T01:35:36Z by Julep
Julep
Julep
6 Posts

Pinned topic Enable archive log for mirrorlog

‏2013-09-15T04:39:08Z |

Hi All,

I'll like to ask a question to clear my doubts. I am currently using DB2 9.7.

In my current database, LOGARCHMETH1 was enabled for online backup. There is also a MIRRORLOGPATH configured. But LOGARCHMETH2 is set to OFF.

I'll like to ask if NEWLOGPATH failed and database have to point to MIRRORLOGPATH to function and if database fails, can i still recover up to point of failure if LOGARCHMETH2 is not configured?

My thoughts is that since LOGARCHMETH2 is set to OFF, the log mode is in circular fashion. Maybe i am not able to?

Can anyone please advise.

Thanks a lot. 

• 9RYQ_Kiran_mk
    9RYQ_Kiran_mk
    78 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Enable archive log for mirrorlog

‏2013-10-03T07:23:52Z  
    • Julep
    • ‏2013-10-01T16:07:44Z

Thanks all for the reply. Does it means that for my case, if active log path fails and the database is pointing to mirrorlogpath to function, Data from mirrorlogpath can still archive to LOGARCHMETH1?

Thanks.

Yes. Thats how it should work.

If LOGARCHMETH1 is inaccessible then logs will get archived to LOGARCHMETH2.

Best Regards,

Kiran.M.K.

• 9RYQ_Kiran_mk
    9RYQ_Kiran_mk
    78 Posts

‏2013-09-25T10:04:37Z  

Yes it will recover. The problem is with Active Log path and it has Mirrorlog path.  No problem with the Archive log location right.  LOGARCHMETH2 parameter is up to you to decide whether you require or not.

Best Regards,

Kiran.M.K.

• Julep
    Julep
    6 Posts

‏2013-09-25T13:43:46Z  

Yes it will recover. The problem is with Active Log path and it has Mirrorlog path.  No problem with the Archive log location right.  LOGARCHMETH2 parameter is up to you to decide whether you require or not.

Best Regards,

Kiran.M.K.

Hi Kiran,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I still don't quite understand.

My thinking is that LOGARCHMETH1 is for Active Log path (LOGARCHMETH1 path is ok) and LOGARCHMETH2 is for Mirrorlog path. Since active log path failed and the database have to point to mirrorlogpath to function, LOGARCHMETH2 (set to OFF) and if database failed after 1 hour when transaction is writing to mirrorlogpath, am I still able recover up to point of failure? Since there is no archive path for LOGARCHMETH2, I am thinking I might not be able to rollforward to the changes within that hour?

Please help to clear my doubts.

Thanks all.

• DF5V_krishna_Bissa
    DF5V_krishna_Bissa
    42 Posts

‏2013-10-01T04:54:16Z  
    • Julep
    • ‏2013-09-25T13:43:46Z

Hi Kiran,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I still don't quite understand.

My thinking is that LOGARCHMETH1 is for Active Log path (LOGARCHMETH1 path is ok) and LOGARCHMETH2 is for Mirrorlog path. Since active log path failed and the database have to point to mirrorlogpath to function, LOGARCHMETH2 (set to OFF) and if database failed after 1 hour when transaction is writing to mirrorlogpath, am I still able recover up to point of failure? Since there is no archive path for LOGARCHMETH2, I am thinking I might not be able to rollforward to the changes within that hour?

Please help to clear my doubts.

Thanks all.

Mirror log path: is some thing that maintains identical set of logs that we have in primary log path(LOGARCHMETH1).so both logarchmeth1 and mirrorlog path contains similar logs.Where is LOGARCHMETH2 is secondary destination for logs that are archived from either the "current log path or the mirror log path".so we no need to worry about the LOGARCHMETH2 .If the active log path fails then we have the mirrorlogpath that acts same as active log path.if we have these logs we can recover it.
  • 9RYQ_Kiran_mk
    9RYQ_Kiran_mk
    78 Posts

‏2013-10-01T12:36:05Z  
    Mirror log path: is some thing that maintains identical set of logs that we have in primary log path(LOGARCHMETH1).so both logarchmeth1 and mirrorlog path contains similar logs.Where is LOGARCHMETH2 is secondary destination for logs that are archived from either the "current log path or the mirror log path".so we no need to worry about the LOGARCHMETH2 .If the active log path fails then we have the mirrorlogpath that acts same as active log path.if we have these logs we can recover it.

Guys. Dont get confuse.  LOGARCHMETH1 is not the primary log path or active log path.  "PATH TO LOGS FILES" and "MIRRORLOGS" will have the same copy of Active logs (Currently used transaction logs). LOGARCHMETH2 is the second copy of Archive logs (LOGARCHMETH1).

Best Regards,

Kiran.M.K.

• Julep
    Julep
    6 Posts

‏2013-10-01T16:07:44Z  

Guys. Dont get confuse.  LOGARCHMETH1 is not the primary log path or active log path.  "PATH TO LOGS FILES" and "MIRRORLOGS" will have the same copy of Active logs (Currently used transaction logs). LOGARCHMETH2 is the second copy of Archive logs (LOGARCHMETH1).

Best Regards,

Kiran.M.K.

Thanks all for the reply. Does it means that for my case, if active log path fails and the database is pointing to mirrorlogpath to function, Data from mirrorlogpath can still archive to LOGARCHMETH1?

Thanks.

• 9RYQ_Kiran_mk
    9RYQ_Kiran_mk
    78 Posts

‏2013-10-03T07:23:52Z  
    • Julep

Thanks.

Best Regards,

Kiran.M.K.

• 9RYQ_Kiran_mk
    9RYQ_Kiran_mk
    78 Posts

‏2013-10-03T07:27:22Z  

Best Regards,

Kiran.M.K.

This is very important consideration and configuration for HADR environment.

Best Regards,

Kiran.M.K.

• Julep
    Julep
    6 Posts

‏2013-10-03T10:41:02Z  

Thanks Kiran for your information. Really appreciated. :)

• 9RYQ_Kiran_mk
    9RYQ_Kiran_mk
    78 Posts

‏2013-10-09T10:44:40Z  
    • Julep

Thanks.

You can use FAILARCHPATH option in case of Unavailability of LOGARCHMETH1 and LOGARCHMETH2 locations.

Best Regards,

Kirna.M.K.

• Julep
    Julep
    6 Posts

‏2013-10-16T01:35:36Z  
    • Julep
    • ‏2013-10-03T10:41:02Z

Thanks Kiran for your information. Really appreciated. :)

OK. Thanks Kirna.