Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-23T12:46:59Z by AndersLorensen
adammcqu
adammcqu
4 Posts

Pinned topic DS3200 & Logical Drives

‏2013-09-19T13:00:30Z |

I've just recently rebuilt a Windows Server 2008 (32-bit) server with an attached IBM DS3200 172622X via an attached IBM 3Gb SAS HBA v2 (44E8700). I've created one storage partition in DS Storage Manager 10 and two logical drives. However, the Windows box does not see the attached drives. It only sees a 20MB attached disk which is identified as an IBM Universal Xport SCSI Disk Device. I've verified that the storage controller is using the latest firmware version (7.35.73.00) and that the drives themselves have the most current firmware. The ServeRAID BR-10i also has the most current version of the firmware installed for it as well. Booting to the raid controller I'm able to see the logical drives but Windows simply does not see it.

Any thoughts as to why I'm not able to see the drives in Windows?

• AndersLorensen
    AndersLorensen
    156 Posts

Re: DS3200 & Logical Drives

‏2013-09-19T21:59:29Z  

Is your DS3200 a single controller box?

The 20 MB LUN you see is for in-band management. It lets you use the DS Storage Manager to configure the Storage box via SAS instead of Ethernet. As you see this, your SAS connectivity is working fine :-)

You need to create a Host in the DS Storage Manager and assign the 2 logical drives as LUN's to the host object.

The Host object should have the WWN number of your SAS HBA.

--

Anders

• adammcqu
    adammcqu
    4 Posts

‏2013-09-20T12:35:01Z  

Is your DS3200 a single controller box?

The 20 MB LUN you see is for in-band management. It lets you use the DS Storage Manager to configure the Storage box via SAS instead of Ethernet. As you see this, your SAS connectivity is working fine :-)

You need to create a Host in the DS Storage Manager and assign the 2 logical drives as LUN's to the host object.

The Host object should have the WWN number of your SAS HBA.

--

Anders

Anders,

Thanks for your response and effort in helping, it's much appreciated.

The DS3200 172622X is a dual controller box, connected by a single SAS cable to controller 1. Both logical drives are configured to controller A

I already have the logical drive's assigned to a host object with LUN's 1 & 2. I've attached two screenshots for your viewing pleasure.

Adam

• AndersLorensen
    AndersLorensen
    156 Posts

‏2013-09-21T19:10:06Z  
    • adammcqu
    • ‏2013-09-20T12:35:01Z

Anders,

Thanks for your response and effort in helping, it's much appreciated.

The DS3200 172622X is a dual controller box, connected by a single SAS cable to controller 1. Both logical drives are configured to controller A

I already have the logical drive's assigned to a host object with LUN's 1 & 2. I've attached two screenshots for your viewing pleasure.

Adam

You've made a Host Group with a host called Fastback-something?

Host Groups are used for clusters where more than 1 host needs access to the same LUN.

When you created the host (fastback), could you choose the WWN number of the SAS HBA? or did you type that in manually? - I think the error is somewhere on the host object / WWN number that is wrong.

--

Anders

• adammcqu
    adammcqu
    4 Posts

‏2013-09-23T12:32:05Z  

You've made a Host Group with a host called Fastback-something?

Host Groups are used for clusters where more than 1 host needs access to the same LUN.

When you created the host (fastback), could you choose the WWN number of the SAS HBA? or did you type that in manually? - I think the error is somewhere on the host object / WWN number that is wrong.

--

Anders

Anders,

Off the top of my head it was selectable.

What recommendations do you have at this point?

• AndersLorensen
    AndersLorensen
    156 Posts

‏2013-09-23T12:46:59Z  
    • adammcqu
    • ‏2013-09-23T12:32:05Z

Anders,

Off the top of my head it was selectable.

What recommendations do you have at this point?

I'd try and delete the host and host Group and mappings.

Then create a single host, and map the 2 LUNs to it.

--

Anders