Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-03-03T17:36:34Z by Webio
Webio
Webio
20 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Second EXP3000 (connected to DS3400) not visible in Storage Manager

‏2014-02-17T20:09:49Z |

Hello,

can someone point me direction where I should look for solution to issue where EXP3000 with firmware 0196 connected to existing configuration (DS3400 with one EXP3000) is not visible at all in Storage Manager summary page? DS3400 has firmware 07.35.53.00 and both EXP3000 has 0196 firmware. Interesting part is that even if I don't see anywhere any information about missing enclosure I can see its events in event log (Advanced Support Tasks section).

Example entries:

17.02.14 15:00:43        Enclosure Component (ESM, GBIC/SFP, Power Supply, or Fan)    Enclosure 1, Slot 2    All connections established through wide port
17.02.14 15:00:41        Enclosure Component (ESM, GBIC/SFP, Power Supply, or Fan)    Enclosure 1, Slot 2    Single connection established through previously failed wide port

and we have also all 12 drives with this error:

17.02.14 15:10:51        Drive    Enclosure 1, Slot 1    Drive by-passed

AFAIK enclosure where previously incorectly connected to existing configuration.

Any suggestions how to solve this issue

Thanks in advance

Regards

P.S. If you need more information then let me know I can provide all info needed if it can be retrieved using Storage Manager.

EDIT: I forgot to add that DS3400 status is optimal while second DS3400 is connected to it and for example if I turn off one of not visible EXP3000 power supplies I can see this event in event log but still no information in Storage Manager. Also using "show allDrives summary;" script command is not showing any disks from missing enclosure either (I was hoping that from script level I will be able to see something more than in GUI).

Updated on 2014-02-17T20:13:27Z at 2014-02-17T20:13:27Z by Webio
  • Webio
    Webio
    20 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Second EXP3000 (connected to DS3400) not visible in Storage Manager

‏2014-02-20T13:20:03Z  in response to Webio

Any ideas? EXP3000 even without any drives is not visible in Storage Manager after powering it. Also again after powering empty EXP3000 connected to DS3400 as a second expansion whole system has optimal status.

• Ahmar
      Ahmar
      37 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-21T13:57:04Z  in response to Webio

Hi,

Can you share the Storage logs?

the below error is not a good sign, maybe all the 12 drives have been corrupted because of your incorrectly connection to existing configuration.

And could have damaged the ESM modules of the expansion aswell.

and we have also all 12 drives with this error:

17.02.14 15:10:51        Drive    Enclosure 1, Slot 1    Drive by-passed

AFAIK enclosure where previously incorectly connected to existing configuration.

regards

ahmar

• Webio
        Webio
        20 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-21T14:10:12Z  in response to Ahmar

In next week I'm planning to disconnect EXP3000 and take it to company from which I bought this enclosure with all drives for testing. Storage logs has been uploaded. Missing EXP3000 is present in event logs for drive by-passed errors as number 1. Existing and visible EXP3000 has number 2.

Attachments

• Ahmar
          Ahmar
          37 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-21T14:18:04Z  in response to Webio

Thats good if they have testing setup.Do you update us.

• Webio
            Webio
            20 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-28T08:36:48Z  in response to Ahmar

Status update: This is very weird issue because when I took my EXP3000 to my IBM hardware seller where he prepared almost identical scenario like I have (difference is that he connected EXP3000 directly to DS3400 and I'm connecting EXP3000 to existing EXP3000 other things like firmware of controllers where identical) my EXP3000 which I'm having problems with has been discovered by his DS3400 without any problems, disks has been also discovered. We've cleaned whole configuretion on his DS3400 so EXP3000 drives has been also cleared if they had something stored on them and I took my EXP3000 to my server room. Of course for unknown reason to me when I connected it to my existing configuration EXP3000 has been not discovered. Of course there was some event log entries but enclosure number has been not changed. I even didn't inserted any disks since no new enclosured has been detected. I've even changed ESMs (since this is two controller scenario) from left to right and from right to left (on powered down state of course) but nothing has changed.

And here we are getting to very interesting situation. In the same server room I have another DS3400 with connected one EXP3000 (so the same scenario like with first DS3400). I never connected my problematic EXP3000 to this configuration so if something has been stored on my first DS3400 during first miswire connnectiong (EXP3000 has been entered to rack upside down and person which was connecting cables has been connecting ESM A from existing EXP3000 to ESM B of new EXP3000 but since EXP3000 was places upside down ESM B was on the left side) then when I'm connecting new EXP3000 to DS3400 which was never connected to it should discouver it without any problems. Here is interesting part when I connected only one wire (existing EXP3000 ESM A to new ESXP3000 ESM A) nothing has happend but in event log I had similar informations like on my first DS3400. I didn't connected all wires since encosure should be already visible during first wire connection. ESM A should work without any problems since it has worked corretly in my reseller testing scenario configuration. Last thing which came to my mind is that I change ESMs like I did before. When I changed them and again connected ESM A of existing EXP3000 to ESM A of new problematic EXP3000 encosure has been discovered correctly. Of course it is only visible on my second DS3400. The same connection to previous DS3400 which I want EXP3000 to connect is not working.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? For now I've discussed with my reseller that he will send my two another ESMs so I will replace existing ones and we will see what will happen. Person which I was testing whole scenario told me that he never experienced similar issue. Maybe someone from you has?

Regards

P.S. I will update this topic when I will receive new ESMs.

• Webio
              Webio
              20 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-03T17:36:34Z  in response to Webio

Hello,

just like I promised I'm updating this topic. Replacing two ESMs fixed issue and new EXP3000 was discovered right after connecting first cable. So now .. can someone who has longer IBM disk arrays experience can tell me what has happend? EXP3000 connected to testing environment has been discovered without any problems. On my two DS3400 had issues. Only thing which was wrong was initial cable connection which was discovered in Storage Manager as miswire but later when cables where connected correctly whole system was optimal but no encosure was detected. Only difference between my environment and testing environment is that testing environment didn't had any EXP3000 between new enclosure and DS3400 and maybe more important thing testing environment where runned only one day and my environment could not be restarted and it is running for about half year now.

So .. again any suggestions?

Regards