PFA

Attachments

• mburati
    mburati
    2551 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Charts builder

‏2013-06-21T13:21:38Z  in response to 4CE9_suhail_bulla

What version (including fixpack level) of Web Experience Factory are you using?

Could you double check that the Chart feature pack has been added to your project and deployed WAR?

Have you successfully used the Chart builder in that project or any other project with that particular installation of the WEF Designer?

What platform are you running the server on (eg ,Windows or Linux)?

..Mike Burati 
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.j
    • 4CE9_suhail_bulla
      4CE9_suhail_bulla
      15 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-21T18:37:04Z  in response to mburati

(1)What version (including fixpack level) of Web Experience Factory are you using?

I am using Web Experience Factory 7

(2)Could you double check that the Chart feature pack has been added to your project and deployed WAR?
      I have checked that. In fact, I am able to successfully run a Chart builder example project. But, when I run the same in the actual application, I face this issue.(Chart feature pack is added and deployed in this application though.)

(3)Have you successfully used the Chart builder in that project or any other project with that particular installation of the WEF Designer?
      Yes. Please refer above answer.

(4)What platform are you running the server on (eg ,Windows or Linux)?
      Windows

• mburati
        mburati
        2551 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-21T20:04:07Z  in response to 4CE9_suhail_bulla

I'm not the Charts builder expert, but here is some info that may help.

- Around WEF7  or 7.0.1 (are you on exactly 7 or 7.0.0.x fixpack or 7.0.1.x?)  I believe the old GP based WebCharts builder was deprecated and a new ILog JViews based Chart builder was introduced.   If you're using the older GP based WebCharts builder then you need a licensed copy of that charting package in your project and WAR.   is it possible that you had one in your other project where it worked, but not this one?

- If you're using the newer JViews based WebCharts builder then one thing to try is compare the project/WAR where it's working with the one where it is not (difference in jars between WEB-INF/lib and WEB-INF/work/lib in the working vs non-working WAR?).

..Mike Burati 
        The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.j

• kevintap
          kevintap
          745 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-25T21:27:34Z  in response to mburati

The class referenced in the error message is com.ibm.wdf.builders.chart.ChartDescriptor.  This class is located in charts.jar which should be present in the WebContent/WEB-INF/lib directory of your project.  Please make sure that charts.jar is present in your project and is not corrupted.  Likewise, make sure that charts.jar is present in the WEB-INF/lib directory of your deployed application.  If charts.jar is present in your deployed application and not corrupted, then I would suggest looking through the log files (SystemErr.log, SystemOut.log, and the WEB-INF/logs directory) to see if there are any errors that precede the NoClassDefFoundError for ChartDescriptor.  It is possible that ChartDescriptor can be found and that it (or some other classes that it may depend on) cannot be properly initialized.

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.

• 4CE9_suhail_bulla
            4CE9_suhail_bulla
            15 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-02T11:00:34Z  in response to kevintap

Thankyou for the helpful information. I was able to get aroud this issue.

Adding the required jars resolved the NoClassDefFoundError for ChartDescriptor

I faced several other issues after that, which I found to be related to the configuration files(web.xml).

I tried to manually incorporate the changes in wasce.web.xml, but that didn't work. Eventually, I created a new project and unchecked the (Deprecated) WebCharts feature and checked the Charts feature. Further, I copied the webcontent folder from my previous project to this new project and it worked fine.

• 4CE9_suhail_bulla
    4CE9_suhail_bulla
    15 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-03T09:18:38Z  in response to 4CE9_suhail_bulla

I need more information regarding some features of Chart builder:

1. What are the default values(labels) for x-axis and y-axis columns and how to change the same.

I am displaying an xml variable via Charts builder. On x-axis I want to have custom column label names instead of default ones (which are some kind of index 0,1,...).

• kevintap
      kevintap
      745 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-03T15:59:37Z  in response to 4CE9_suhail_bulla

It sounds like you may not have configured a column in the Column for X-Axis builder input.  If you choose a column in the Column for X-Axis input, the chart will use the values in that column of data for the X-Axis labels.  The Y-Axis labels will always be numeric based on the data values in the chosen Y columns.

• 4CE9_suhail_bulla
        4CE9_suhail_bulla
        15 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-03T16:26:41Z  in response to kevintap

I was later able to change the X-Axis labels. I noticed the following:

When I was selecting the label by clicking the button adjacent to Column for X-Axis builder input, it was not working. I later pasted the exact name from the variable into that field and it worked.

Although, label names are displayed but not all of them, which I found is due to the overlapping of label names.

I came to know that by making the x-axis(some property as slanted), that overlapping can be overcome. Am still looking into it.

Thank you.

• 4CE9_suhail_bulla
    4CE9_suhail_bulla
    15 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-04T12:42:31Z  in response to 4CE9_suhail_bulla

I am facing the x-axis label over-writing problem. I am not using any custom style. Need some way to handle this.

One more observation:

The column with the least value is not displayed. Need to know the reason for this too.

Attachments

• kevintap
      kevintap
      745 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-07T17:34:15Z  in response to 4CE9_suhail_bulla

In the Axis Properties section of the builder, you will need to set the Scale Min value for the y-axis.  I'd recommend using 0 for the value here.  This will ensure that your y-axis starts at 0 and that a bar will be displayed for the column with the smallest value (in the IN column).

• 4CE9_suhail_bulla
    4CE9_suhail_bulla
    15 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-01T10:41:49Z  in response to 4CE9_suhail_bulla

I am using Custom Style in JViews Charts builder.

Though, I am able to successfully change chart appearance by making changes in the corresponding .css file (bar.css in my case). But, in case of adding a title to Y-axis, the changes that I make in bar.css are not reflected in the chart when run.

My aim is to add a title(with proper rotation) to y-axis.

Need some inputs for implementing the same.

Thanks.

• kevintap
      kevintap
      745 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-01T16:43:01Z  in response to 4CE9_suhail_bulla

It looks like the default styles that are shipped with WEF contain a style that prevents the axis titles from displaying.  For example, in Bar.css, the following rule is defined:

chartArea {
         _rule_name : "Chart Area" ;
         plotBackground : "#ffffff" ;
         margins : "" ;
         background : "#ffffff" ;
         opaque : "false" ;
         filledPlottingArea : "false" ;
         foreground : "white" ;
      }

Here, the background is "#ffffff" (white) and the foreground is "white".  The chart engine will actually render the axis title, but it will be white text on a white background, so it will be invisible.  Change the foreground here to "black" and try again.

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.

• 4CE9_suhail_bulla
    4CE9_suhail_bulla
    15 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-07T05:08:44Z  in response to 4CE9_suhail_bulla

When deploying to higher environments(ST), I am facing following configuration issue:

Since existing application was not having any features added related to charts, no jars or related files were available. The deployment team, added the feature set for charting, and the jars and related files were added to the application folder structure.

But, the issue here is that, corresponding changes in the config files viz web.xml were not present by adding the feature set.

Attached are the stacktraces of the errors that occur when run.

Want to know, how do I ensure that JViews Chart feature is added such that the jars, files/folders and configuration changes all are created correctly and completely.

• 4CE9_suhail_bulla
    4CE9_suhail_bulla
    15 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-07T06:30:34Z  in response to 4CE9_suhail_bulla

When deploying to higher environments(ST), I am facing following configuration issue:

Since existing application was not having any features added related to charts, no jars or related files were available. The deployment team, added the feature set for charting, and the jars and related files were added to the application folder structure.

But, the issue here is that, corresponding changes in the config files viz web.xml were not present by adding the feature set.

Want to know, how do I ensure that JViews Chart feature is added such that the jars, files/folders and configuration changes all are created correctly and completely.

• 4CE9_suhail_bulla
    4CE9_suhail_bulla
    15 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-07T06:34:57Z  in response to 4CE9_suhail_bulla

Updated on 2013-08-07T06:44:08Z at 2013-08-07T06:44:08Z by 4CE9_suhail_bulla
    • kevintap
      kevintap
      745 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-07T14:11:32Z  in response to 4CE9_suhail_bulla

Can you describe the process by which your deployment team is adding the Charts feature set to the application?  It sounds like there may be some issues with the order in which they are doing this or with the build scripts they are using.  There are several extension files (under WEB-INF/bin/deployment/extensions) that get added to the project by the Charts feature set which make changes to the generated web.xml file when the Charts feature set is properly added to the project and then the build scripts are run to generate a WAR file from the project.  I'd say to check the build scripts that your deployment team is using and compare the contents of the WAR that they generate with a WAR that you generate from your workspace.  If there are differences, it would indicate a potential problem with the build scripts.

• 4CE9_suhail_bulla
        4CE9_suhail_bulla
        15 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-08T05:26:23Z  in response to kevintap

Thank you for the prompt reply. I was able to resolve this by making changes in portlet.standard.web.xml template manually.

• kevintap
          kevintap
          745 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-08T14:47:38Z  in response to 4CE9_suhail_bulla

You shouldn't need to make any manual changes to portlet.standard.web.xml to get the Charts feature set to work.  It sounds like the copy of your project that the deployment team is using is missing the extension fragments in WEB-INF/bin/deployment/extensions which are automatically added by the Charts feature set.  Since this seems to work from your local designer, but not when built by your deployment team, I suspect that the build script that the deployment team is using is incorrect.  I would advise looking into the way that the WAR is being built by the deployment team and if they have the proper extension fragments available in their copy of the project.  It is our recommended best practice to not change portlet.standard.web.xml directly, but to make changes to it through our provided extension fragment framework by adding extensions under the previously mentioned directory.  Since the Charts feature set provides these automatically, my recommendation here is to investigate why the Charts feature set is not complete in the deployment team's environment.

• 4CE9_suhail_bulla
            4CE9_suhail_bulla
            15 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-13T10:14:01Z  in response to kevintap

The deployment team is looking into it.

Another issue with this on higer environment is that,it seems that the chart is not completely loaded as the loading sign (colored circle) remains on top of the chart. In local environment, this loading sign appears for some time only till the graph is loaded.

• kevintap
              kevintap
              745 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-13T19:56:44Z  in response to 4CE9_suhail_bulla

For this issue, check to see if you have any javascript errors in your browser.  The chart is rendered in different layers in the HTML.  Once the chart data has finished loading, a script moves the chart image in front of the loading progress indicator.  If there is an error executing this script, then the progress indicator will remain in front of the chart.

• 4CE9_suhail_bulla
                4CE9_suhail_bulla
                15 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-14T11:45:17Z  in response to kevintap

There are no javascript errors in the browser.

I'd tried reducing dimensions and changing image type to JPG from PNG, thinking of a possibility of performance issue.

Kindly, let me know if there could be any other thing resulting into this problem.

• 4CE9_suhail_bulla
    4CE9_suhail_bulla
    15 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-23T13:31:50Z  in response to 4CE9_suhail_bulla

On local, I'm running on WASCE and on higher environments, it's Websphere Portal Server. Is there any special configuration related to the Portal Server that's required.

Further, considering the manual changes that I'd made in portlet.standard.web.xml, is there a possibility of having missed some configuration details that might cause this issue.

• kevintap
      kevintap
      745 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-26T20:01:59Z  in response to 4CE9_suhail_bulla

I gathered some suggestions on things to check/try here.  First, I'd suggest looking over the log files (SystemOut.log/SystemErr.log) on the app server.  Are there any errors reported in these logs which relate to the chart?

Another suggestion is to watch the network traffic in a browser debugger (firebug, chrome, etc).  Take a look at the requests that are issued by the browser to load the charts.  It is possible that something on the server is not responding or not responding in a timely manner and causing the progress indicator to remain up.  It is possible that the chart image was loaded successfully, but additional data for the chart - the image map (containing clickable and hover over area definitions), etc may be failing to load.  If you see any network requests that are still pending or haven't completed, that may indicate a problem.

I don't know what changes you made to portlet.standard.web.xml, but generally speaking, if you're seeing the chart image render, then things have been properly setup for the chart engine.  Again, I would advise you to remove these customizations from portlet.standard.web.xml and instead rely on the built-in configuration extension files to do their job to add the chart feature set extensions.