Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-01T19:58:43Z by RavikanthChavali
RavikanthChavali
RavikanthChavali
16 Posts

Pinned topic Java Heap Error in RDz Compare with File Manager

‏2013-10-01T19:14:07Z |

I am having a RDzv9 shell shared with CICS explorer, Data studio and PD tools(FM/FA). And when I do a compare of two large files I am getting a Java Heap Exception. Any thoughts..

Updated on 2013-10-01T19:16:57Z at 2013-10-01T19:16:57Z by RavikanthChavali
  • CandyLane
    CandyLane
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Java Heap Error in RDz Compare with File Manager

‏2013-10-01T19:46:01Z  

Sometimes you do need to set the Maximum amount of Java memory needed higher than the default value specified in your eclipse.ini file.  The default value of -Xmx for RDz is 1024.  Since you are running with so many other products it might be necesary to adjust that value. 

Try adjusting this amount in increments starting with 1536.  Then set the "Show heap status" in the RDz Window->Preferences->General settings, so that you can see how much memory is being used. 

It is a balancing act of having enough memory in one application that still allows enough for all of your other applications running on that machine to not suffer performance issues. 

Some tools that can be used to monitor memory consumption are:

Windows resource monitor

Java Memory Analyzer

I hope that this information helps to solve your problem.

• CandyLane
    CandyLane
    4 Posts

‏2013-10-01T19:46:01Z  

Sometimes you do need to set the Maximum amount of Java memory needed higher than the default value specified in your eclipse.ini file.  The default value of -Xmx for RDz is 1024.  Since you are running with so many other products it might be necesary to adjust that value. 

Try adjusting this amount in increments starting with 1536.  Then set the "Show heap status" in the RDz Window->Preferences->General settings, so that you can see how much memory is being used. 

It is a balancing act of having enough memory in one application that still allows enough for all of your other applications running on that machine to not suffer performance issues. 

Windows resource monitor

Java Memory Analyzer

• RavikanthChavali
    RavikanthChavali
    16 Posts

‏2013-10-01T19:58:43Z  
    • CandyLane
    • ‏2013-10-01T19:46:01Z

Windows resource monitor

Java Memory Analyzer

Thank you! for the detailed explanation on Xmx and Xms

Is Xmx, memory size that is pre-allocated for eclipse or is it runtime? In otherwords, if I have to increase this value do I have to restart eclipse/rdz ?
    The -Xmx is not pre-allocated, but the eclipse.ini file is only read when you start RDz. The -Xms value is the amount of memory that is initially allocated with start RDz. Then when needed more memory will be allocated up to the Maximum amount of -Xmx value. If you want to change the -Xmx value then you have to restart RDz. You don't want to make this value too high though, because all of your Windows applications need part of the same memory.

What is the recommended value for Xmx for installations that shell share in the my current capacity?
    At this point there is no recommended value. It really depends on how you are using the products, such as how many files you download, how many files do you open in the editor at one time, what activities you are doing in CICS, and the Debug tools. It is best to watch the heap size while you are working to determine how much memory you are using and if the amount of memory is slowing down any other applications that are also trying to get memory.

What is the highest value that can be used for Xmx?
    The highest would depend on the machine. How much memory is available. But, again, you don't want to use all the memory only for the IDE. I am sure that you have other applications running on this machine, like a browser, that also uses memory. http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/java7sdk/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.java.win.70.doc%2Fdiag%2Ftools%2Fhealthcenter.html

Does the value have predefined domain values to be used or I could have used Xmx1537 ?
    You can set this value to be whatever you find works best for your users. We provide a default value of -Xmx1024.

Updated on 2013-10-01T20:03:01Z at 2013-10-01T20:03:01Z by RavikanthChavali