Topic
13 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-01-25T20:34:22Z by lucio.correia
GlennBrown
GlennBrown
8 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Issues with IBM Linux Installation Toolkit

‏2011-10-31T17:11:54Z |
 I saw Jeff Scheel's presentation on the Toolkit and the TechU and decided to give it a spin. I have attempted to boot the kit on two systems and it fails with unable find/mount rootfs.

One system is a Power5 P520 (9111-520) and on my desk side workstation which is a Intellistation 185, both should be supported systems, can anyone give me a idea what am I missing.

Updated on 2012-01-25T20:34:22Z at 2012-01-25T20:34:22Z by lucio.correia
  • jscheel
    jscheel
    45 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Issues with IBM Linux Installation Toolkit

‏2011-10-31T18:30:26Z  in response to GlennBrown
     Thanks for posting, Glenn.  Can you please provide a few more details such as the version of the Toolkit that you used, the version of the distribution that you used, and any other non-standard settings you used?

I'm sure we'll have a few more questions, but these are the first few that come to mind.
  • GlennBrown
    GlennBrown
    8 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-31T20:59:29Z  in response to GlennBrown
     Latest version of the toolkit (5.0) and I will be installed RHEL 5.7 but on these two systems the toolkit doesn't even boot. Not doing anything fancy.

I decided to give it a try on the Power6 P520's (8203-E4A) the install kit boots and I walked through the steps to install, I get to the point where it wants me to insert the Redhat install DVD, I am using Virtual Optical drives on my HMC for this machine so unload the IBM install toolkit and load the RHEL 5 iso image that is setup in the Media Library on my VIOS.

However when I set next in the web installer it says not a valid disk, is there something else special I need to do in order to "eject" the disk?

• GlennBrown
      GlennBrown
      8 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-31T21:08:05Z  in response to GlennBrown

• lucio.correia
        lucio.correia
        16 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-01T17:06:42Z  in response to GlennBrown
         Hi GlennBrown

By the error message showed in the last screenshot, IBMIT is expecting RHEL5U6 media, and looking at your VIOS media library, the media is RHEL5U7. It does check media contents, so it is only expected to work with a RHEL5U6 ISO in the drive.
        • GlennBrown
          GlennBrown
          8 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-01T17:22:21Z  in response to lucio.correia
           Actually the error message states it expects RHEL5U6 or above so that would imply it will work fine but I am downloading U6 to be safe to rule that out.
  • GlennBrown
    GlennBrown
    8 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-03T20:25:09Z  in response to GlennBrown
     So Lucio was correct and using RHEL5U6 worked. One small note to the boys at IBM make that message clearer since it did say I could use U6 or above.

But I hit another brick wall. It doesn't appear to load the ibmvfc driver properly. 

This is a Power6 LPAR with 2 Virtual Fiber Adapters setup and only 1 DMX Meta presented to it. Do I need to load some sort of special "driver disk", if I boot the RHEL ISO straight outright it boots correctly into the installer, so not sure what the IBM Installer is doing that fubars the module loading.

Updated on 2011-11-03T20:25:09Z at 2011-11-03T20:25:09Z by GlennBrown
    • This reply was deleted by lucio.correia 2011-11-03T21:37:39Z. Reason for deletion: Better response
    • lucio.correia
      lucio.correia
      16 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-04T14:34:59Z  in response to GlennBrown
      Hi GlennBrown

Thanks for reporting those issues.

IBMIT team will fix the wrong message asking for media for the next release.

Regarding the driver issue, IBMIT team will investigate it.

Regards
      • GlennBrown
        GlennBrown
        8 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-04T14:52:34Z  in response to lucio.correia
         Is the previous version of the installation toolkit available?
        • lucio.correia
          lucio.correia
          16 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-07T13:34:02Z  in response to GlennBrown
           No, previous versions are not available.
    • anibal.carvalho
      anibal.carvalho
      15 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-30T15:16:23Z  in response to GlennBrown
       Hi GlennBrown.

There is a line during RHEL5 boot that states which kernel command line was used. It starts with: "Kernel command line:" and appears before entering Anaconda. Could you please verify if ibmvfc is passed as a driverload parameter? If possible please also copy and paste the line here.
      Another valuable information to us is disk modules needed, you can get them by booting IBM IT Live DVD, choosing option "2 - Rescue mode (goes to terminal)" and running "hwinfo --disk | grep Modules". This info will help us to give you a workaround for version 5.0.

We are working to get this fixed.

Thank you,
      Anibal.
      • GlennBrown
        GlennBrown
        8 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-12-06T16:13:03Z  in response to anibal.carvalho
         Sorry for the delay been neck deep in other issues.

Kernel command line: ro ks=file:///MjCDkpVNuW nonet nostorage driverload=ibmvfc driverload=ibmveth 

The only driver modules that hwinfo --disk|grep Modules returns is ibmvfc (returns it 3 times)
  • lucio.correia
    lucio.correia
    16 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-25T20:34:22Z  in response to GlennBrown
    Hi GlennBrown

Thanks for the information, we have released IBM Installation Toolkit for Linux 5.1. You may want to give it a try on your virtual fiber adapters setup on POWER 6. This new version doesn't support POWER 5 anymore.

Regards