• 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-05-03T18:00:29Z by kjerick
33 Posts

Pinned topic why can't home/streamsadmin be generated automaticaly when installing?

‏2013-05-03T05:54:22Z |

Hi all,

for some reason, I uninstalled Streams 3.0 and delete the /home/streamsadmin. But after I reinstall it, I found streamsadmin can be generated automatically in /home. Hence, when I switch user to steramsadmin, console said "bash-3.2$"

How to resolve this?

Thank you

• kjerick
    227 Posts

Re: why can't home/streamsadmin be generated automaticaly when installing?

Hi waldstein,

I am not sure I completely understand your question, but I will take a guess that you are getting a command line prompt you don't expect.

You should not have to delete the /home/streamsadmin user as part of an uninstall and reinstall of Streams.  Doing so probably wiped out your ~streamsadmin/.bashrc file, and a typical .basrc file sources the /etc/bashrc file as follows, and the /etc/bashrc file sets up the prompt:

# Source global definitions
    if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
     . /etc/bashrc

I think you will possibly need to recreate the streamsadmin user from scratch.

By the way, for any particular user you can override the command prompt that is set up by the default format chosen in the /etc/bashrc by overriding the "PS1" variable in the ~/.bashrc file of the user.  I do this with my own personal command promt where I add different colors to my userid, system name, and current working folder.  For more information on how to do this see the IBM developerWorks article (Prompt magic), e.g., I use:

export PS1="[\[\e[34m\]\u\[\e[0m\]@\[\e[31m\]\h\[\e[0m\] \[\e[32m\]\W\[\e[0m\] ]\$ "

I hope this helps.

Best regards,