• 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-10T13:00:34Z by shankar04
shankar04
shankar04
5 Posts

Pinned topic DS4800 controller upgrade

‏2013-07-08T16:15:27Z |

Hi 

I'm just preparing for a controller/ESM/HDD upgrade on ds4800 prod.

This is sitting behind the SVC.

could someone please tell if there is any dependancy of this upgrade on the SVC .Is there anything that i need to do from SVC end ?

Also when i had downloaded the zip files for the upgrade i found some scripts like "same wwpn.script"

Could someone please tell me if this is something which needs to be executed after the upgrade , also i noticed that this script dates way beyond to 2004.

Should I have to reapply my licence settings etc after the upgrade ?

Am going from 6.60.xx to 7.60.xx.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

• AndersLorensen
    AndersLorensen
    156 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DS4800 controller upgrade

‏2013-07-09T17:31:38Z  

Cheers Anders,

Yes IBM did ask to have the enclosure ID settings changed as they weren't unique on the same drive channel , so yes they have attached a retain tip for the same.

having said that I unfortunately do not have enough space the mode the mdisks around svc which means i just have to get downtime of the hosts in order to have no I/O literally.

Iim currently on the DS storage manager version 10.xx and have all the subsystems configured.

What i'm trying to understand here is as per the read me files its said "The IBM DS

Storage Manager host software version 10.60.x5.17 or later is required to 
       manage DS storage subsystems with controller firmware version 7.60.63.00 installed."

Further which when i right click on my storage subsystem and choosed manage subsystem the version that i see there is 9.xx

So which one should be actually looking at please ?

http://delivery04.dhe.ibm.com/sar/CMA/SDA/03d6j/9/ibm_fw1_ds4kfc_07606300_anyos_anycpu.txt

Cheers.

Its the Enterprise Manager window of DS Storage Manager version you should look at.

--

Anders

• AndersLorensen
    AndersLorensen
    156 Posts

‏2013-07-08T19:12:29Z  

There is 2 Things here to notice.

1. You cannot upgrade from a 6.x to 7.x firmware without downtime.

2. You cannot upgrade harddisk firmware without downtime.

So you need to stop I/O from the SVC before this upgrade. That Means all pools with MDISKS from the DS4800 will go offline during the upgrade.

If you have spare capacity on another SAN behind the SVC, you can migrate the volumes affected to another pool, so there is no active data on the DS4800.

When that's said, there is tons of stuff you need to read up on, so you upgrade everything correctly in the correct order. Not all expansion shelfs and ESM firmwares are supported with all controller firmwares. Not all expansion shelfs are even supported with 7.xx firmware. So you need to read through all the readme files very carefully.

The scripts are only used in special cases, and are not for a by the book firmware upgrade.

Licenses are saved during the upgrade, so no need to worry about that.

--

Anders

• shankar04
    shankar04
    5 Posts

‏2013-07-09T08:32:04Z  

There is 2 Things here to notice.

1. You cannot upgrade from a 6.x to 7.x firmware without downtime.

2. You cannot upgrade harddisk firmware without downtime.

So you need to stop I/O from the SVC before this upgrade. That Means all pools with MDISKS from the DS4800 will go offline during the upgrade.

If you have spare capacity on another SAN behind the SVC, you can migrate the volumes affected to another pool, so there is no active data on the DS4800.

When that's said, there is tons of stuff you need to read up on, so you upgrade everything correctly in the correct order. Not all expansion shelfs and ESM firmwares are supported with all controller firmwares. Not all expansion shelfs are even supported with 7.xx firmware. So you need to read through all the readme files very carefully.

The scripts are only used in special cases, and are not for a by the book firmware upgrade.

Licenses are saved during the upgrade, so no need to worry about that.

--

Anders

Thanks Anders.

Yes I'm planning to get a downtime for the same.

In between I want to if we can directly jump from 6.60.xx to 7.60.xx or is it kind of necessary for a intermediate step please ?

The order in which am planning to upgrade is the controller/ NVSRAM / ESM and then HDD's .however I do have read a few posts which said that bottom up approach is best not quite sure on this one how to proceed.I have about more than 50 HDD's whose firmware need to be ugraded.

Also how do you save the existing NVS RAM settings , I know that after upgrade this will be overwritten and we will have to reapply any changes made to the NVSRAM

In  exp810's do we need to power them down whilst the upgrade because i'm aslo planning to do change the enclosure id settings on some of them.

cheers

• AndersLorensen
    AndersLorensen
    156 Posts

‏2013-07-09T12:44:01Z  

Thanks Anders.

Yes I'm planning to get a downtime for the same.

In between I want to if we can directly jump from 6.60.xx to 7.60.xx or is it kind of necessary for a intermediate step please ?

The order in which am planning to upgrade is the controller/ NVSRAM / ESM and then HDD's .however I do have read a few posts which said that bottom up approach is best not quite sure on this one how to proceed.I have about more than 50 HDD's whose firmware need to be ugraded.

Also how do you save the existing NVS RAM settings , I know that after upgrade this will be overwritten and we will have to reapply any changes made to the NVSRAM

In  exp810's do we need to power them down whilst the upgrade because i'm aslo planning to do change the enclosure id settings on some of them.

cheers

I'm havent read all the readme files lately, so be sure you verify this information yourself.

You should be able to go directly from 6.60 to 7.60

The order is normally Controller, ESM, then disks, but there can be dependencies that require you to do it in a different order.

I've never actually made changes to the NVSRAM, so never had the need to save those changes. (I'm a VMWare guy, so strange host types not welcome in my World!)

I would not power Down any enclosures while the controller is running, unless IBM support told me to. Especially not if you have a raid spanning across enclosures. Why change ID's anyways? If it aint broken, dont fix it!

--

Anders

• shankar04
    shankar04
    5 Posts

‏2013-07-09T13:46:44Z  

I'm havent read all the readme files lately, so be sure you verify this information yourself.

You should be able to go directly from 6.60 to 7.60

The order is normally Controller, ESM, then disks, but there can be dependencies that require you to do it in a different order.

I've never actually made changes to the NVSRAM, so never had the need to save those changes. (I'm a VMWare guy, so strange host types not welcome in my World!)

I would not power Down any enclosures while the controller is running, unless IBM support told me to. Especially not if you have a raid spanning across enclosures. Why change ID's anyways? If it aint broken, dont fix it!

--

Anders

Cheers Anders,

Yes IBM did ask to have the enclosure ID settings changed as they weren't unique on the same drive channel , so yes they have attached a retain tip for the same.

having said that I unfortunately do not have enough space the mode the mdisks around svc which means i just have to get downtime of the hosts in order to have no I/O literally.

Iim currently on the DS storage manager version 10.xx and have all the subsystems configured.

What i'm trying to understand here is as per the read me files its said "The IBM DS

Storage Manager host software version 10.60.x5.17 or later is required to    manage DS storage subsystems with controller firmware version 7.60.63.00 installed."

Further which when i right click on my storage subsystem and choosed manage subsystem the version that i see there is 9.xx

http://delivery04.dhe.ibm.com/sar/CMA/SDA/03d6j/9/ibm_fw1_ds4kfc_07606300_anyos_anycpu.txt

Cheers.

• AndersLorensen
    AndersLorensen
    156 Posts

‏2013-07-09T17:31:38Z  

Cheers Anders,

<pre dir="ltr" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); word-wrap: break-word; white-space: pre-wrap;"> Storage Manager host software version 10.60.x5.17 or later is required to manage DS storage subsystems with controller firmware version 7.60.63.00 installed." </pre>

Cheers.

Its the Enterprise Manager window of DS Storage Manager version you should look at.

--

Anders

• shankar04
    shankar04
    5 Posts

‏2013-07-10T13:00:34Z  

--

Anders

Cheers Anders