Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
No replies
acrimon86
acrimon86
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How to call a Metal-C function from plain C/C++ with LP64?

‏2014-06-18T23:48:30Z |

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to the mainframe in general, but I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm playing around with calling a Metal-C function from another (non-Metal) C module. I saw this thread and I was able to compile and run the following as the author there did. However, now I'm trying to compile a 64-bit version instead (using the lp64 option), but I'm getting some binder errors.

I compile with this sequence of USS commands:

xlc -Wc,metal,longname,lp64 -S metal.c
as -mgoff metal.s
xlc -Wc,lp64 -c driver.c
xlc -Wl,lp64 driver.o metal.o

The last one results in this error:

IEW2469E 9907 THE ATTRIBUTES OF A REFERENCE TO metal_function FROM SECTION
          driver#C DO NOT MATCH THE ATTRIBUTES OF THE TARGET SYMBOL. REASON  2

The reason code explanation for IEW2469E apparently is: The xplink attributes of the reference and target do not match.

If I remove the lp64 option, my code compiles nicely and runs, so I'm not sure what to do to compile it as 64-bit. Does anyone have any ideas?

metal.c

#pragma prolog(metal_function,main)
#pragma epilog(metal_function,main)

int metal_function() {
    return 42;
}

driver.c

#include <stdio.h>

int metal_function();

int main() {
    int result = metal_function();
    printf("Result: %d\n", result);

return 0;
}

• ilam
    ilam
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to call a Metal-C function from plain C/C++ with LP64?

‏2014-07-28T21:13:10Z  in response to acrimon86

Hi,

The reason why you got those messages is due to your main program (driver.c)  compiles with LP64 which turns on XPLINK,   but your Metal.c. is non-XPLINK (METAL does not support  XPLINK).

The issues:

• There is no LE environment in Metal C, so the stack and linkage in the Metal program is completely under the user's control. 
    • The linkage for your main program is XPLINK when compiles with LP64, so you must provide the appropriate  code to accept the XPLINK call.
    You can specify  #pragma linkage(metal_function,OS) or #pragma linkage(metal_function,OS_NOSTACK) in both driver.c and metal.c, it should solve your problem.
  • This reply was deleted by SystemAdmin 2014-10-16T18:22:50Z.