• 15 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-08-26T14:13:28Z by AndersVinther
WilliamTanner
WilliamTanner
12 Posts

Pinned topic How to default a task to a member of a team

‏2013-09-08T23:45:04Z | 8.5 teams

Hi,

We are using v8.5 with the new teams methodology. We have a process where a manager allocates works to a team member. Prior to this the employee has not been involved in the BPD, so we can't use "last user in lane". We thought about using a filtered team, however this isn't the best approach.

Prior to this version we could use custom allocation (we still can but its deprecated).

Any ideas how to achieve this utilising supported, non deprecated, functionality?

Cheers,

Bill

• kolban
    kolban
    3322 Posts

Re: How to default a task to a member of a team

‏2013-09-09T01:21:25Z  

Hi Bill,

You can supply a Team object that is named as a variable in the assignment of the Task.  You can populate the Team object prior to arriving at the task.  This feels pretty close to what used to be known as "custom assignment".

Neil

• WilliamTanner
    WilliamTanner
    12 Posts

‏2013-09-09T01:33:13Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2013-09-09T01:21:25Z

Hi Bill,

You can supply a Team object that is named as a variable in the assignment of the Task.  You can populate the Team object prior to arriving at the task.  This feels pretty close to what used to be known as "custom assignment".

Neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the reply. When assigning a team to a team object (as a variable), i'm assuming in order to assign to the selected employee you would need to provide the team object with only the 1 employee in it. But in doing so would no longer allow the "re-assign back to team" options.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Bill

• WilliamTanner
    WilliamTanner
    12 Posts

‏2013-09-09T02:20:04Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2013-09-09T01:21:25Z

Hi Bill,

Neil

Hi Neil,

After doing some further testing, when a using a variable to assign a team, you actually assign a String of the team name, and that team must be defined in the Process Application. 

Attempting to assign to a variable team object which only had one member did not work.

Cheers,

Bill

• kolban
    kolban
    3322 Posts

‏2013-09-09T03:07:24Z  

Hi Neil,

After doing some further testing, when a using a variable to assign a team, you actually assign a String of the team name, and that team must be defined in the Process Application. 

Attempting to assign to a variable team object which only had one member did not work.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I think what you are telling me is that the parameter for a Team is not a "Team" object but instead a "String" which is the name of the predefined Team which already exists within the Process App.   If that is the case (and I do believe you) then I am sorry for the false start.

Maybe I can offer a second attempt.  What about creating a filter service that takes as a parameter the list of one or more user names.  Since the filter service can replace some or all of the members of the original team we could simply replace the team members in the original team with the members passed in as the parameters to the filter service?

Neil

• WilliamTanner
    WilliamTanner
    12 Posts

‏2013-09-09T03:13:33Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2013-09-09T03:07:24Z

Hi Bill,

I think what you are telling me is that the parameter for a Team is not a "Team" object but instead a "String" which is the name of the predefined Team which already exists within the Process App.   If that is the case (and I do believe you) then I am sorry for the false start.

Maybe I can offer a second attempt.  What about creating a filter service that takes as a parameter the list of one or more user names.  Since the filter service can replace some or all of the members of the original team we could simply replace the team members in the original team with the members passed in as the parameters to the filter service?

Neil

Hi Neil,

Re: your comment on Team vs String object, yes that was what I was saying.

Re: Using a filtered team service.....This is what I tried in the first instance. We created a filtered team service that you could pass in a list of users, and it would limit the team to only the matching members from in input list of string.

This does let us allocated to one person, however it has the same side affect in that we can't allocated back to the entire team.

I wonder if there is a system variable/method we can utilise that will default in the "last user in lane" or something of the sort.

Cheers,

Bill

Updated on 2013-09-09T03:15:04Z at 2013-09-09T03:15:04Z by WilliamTanner
  • kolban
    kolban
    3322 Posts

‏2013-09-09T03:22:21Z  

Hi Neil,

Re: your comment on Team vs String object, yes that was what I was saying.

Re: Using a filtered team service.....This is what I tried in the first instance. We created a filtered team service that you could pass in a list of users, and it would limit the team to only the matching members from in input list of string.

This does let us allocated to one person, however it has the same side affect in that we can't allocated back to the entire team.

I wonder if there is a system variable/method we can utilise that will default in the "last user in lane" or something of the sort.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I think that what you are saying is that if you filter a team down to one user then the associated Task is then owned by that user.  However, if the administrator says to himself "I'd like to dynamically assign the task back to the team as a whole" we don't know how to do this?

If so, this sounds like a special case of an issue I am tracking at the moment.  Imagine a team filter selects 3 users and later, one of the users quits.  We want the assignment to be "changed" to reflect the new selection.   Somehow we seem to need to be able to "recalculate" the team membership at a subsequent time.  Unfortunately I don't yet know how to achieve that effect but am looking real hard.

Neil

• WilliamTanner
    WilliamTanner
    12 Posts

‏2013-09-09T03:31:58Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2013-09-09T03:22:21Z

Hi Bill,

I think that what you are saying is that if you filter a team down to one user then the associated Task is then owned by that user.  However, if the administrator says to himself "I'd like to dynamically assign the task back to the team as a whole" we don't know how to do this?

If so, this sounds like a special case of an issue I am tracking at the moment.  Imagine a team filter selects 3 users and later, one of the users quits.  We want the assignment to be "changed" to reflect the new selection.   Somehow we seem to need to be able to "recalculate" the team membership at a subsequent time.  Unfortunately I don't yet know how to achieve that effect but am looking real hard.

Neil

Hi Neil,

The same affect yes.

We see the sequence as follows:

1) Manager allocates work

2) Work allocated to team member, but task not complete.

3) Manager need to re-assign back to group / or another member of the team... any number of reasons, a) original allocation wrong, b) team member sick, c) task requires immediate action and original team member is busy... etc

4) New team member can now complete the task.

AND

We also have the scenario, where by the allocated team member owns the instance, but a task may be allocated to another team member, just for that one task. So we need to be able to go back to the originally allocated team member.

ie 

1) Team member is allocated work

2) Manager temporarily assigns a task to other team member

3) The next task should re-allocate back to the original team member

Cheers,

Bill

• DanS
    DanS
    9 Posts

‏2013-09-10T08:13:13Z  

Hi Neil,

The same affect yes.

We see the sequence as follows:

1) Manager allocates work

2) Work allocated to team member, but task not complete.

3) Manager need to re-assign back to group / or another member of the team... any number of reasons, a) original allocation wrong, b) team member sick, c) task requires immediate action and original team member is busy... etc

4) New team member can now complete the task.

AND

We also have the scenario, where by the allocated team member owns the instance, but a task may be allocated to another team member, just for that one task. So we need to be able to go back to the originally allocated team member.

ie 

1) Team member is allocated work

2) Manager temporarily assigns a task to other team member

3) The next task should re-allocate back to the original team member

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill,

I've had a similar problem where I've want to assign a task to a specific user.  I started by creating a dynamic team with a single member but that still required the user to assign the task to themself, which did seem quite right.

What I've been toying with is assigning the task to a team as normal e.g. Approvers.  But adding a Timer Event to the activity with Interrupt Activity false, Repeatable false and a 0 Before/After Difference, so that the timer fires immediately.  I can then reassign the task to a specific user in the subsequent activity.

Something like this;

varu = tw.system.org.findUserByName(tw.local.assignTo);

tw.system.findTaskByID(tw.local.taskId).reassignTo(u);

You'll also need to set the taskId in the Pre-Assignment of the Timer Event.

While this isn't a perfect solution as I'd rather not have to use a timer event, it's the only way I've been able to come up with what I need.  Will be interested to see if Neil has an alternative.

I hope this helps,

Dan 

• WilliamTanner
    WilliamTanner
    12 Posts

‏2013-09-10T08:21:29Z  
    • DanS
    • ‏2013-09-10T08:13:13Z

Hi Bill,

I've had a similar problem where I've want to assign a task to a specific user.  I started by creating a dynamic team with a single member but that still required the user to assign the task to themself, which did seem quite right.

What I've been toying with is assigning the task to a team as normal e.g. Approvers.  But adding a Timer Event to the activity with Interrupt Activity false, Repeatable false and a 0 Before/After Difference, so that the timer fires immediately.  I can then reassign the task to a specific user in the subsequent activity.

Something like this;

While this isn't a perfect solution as I'd rather not have to use a timer event, it's the only way I've been able to come up with what I need.  Will be interested to see if Neil has an alternative.

I hope this helps,

Dan 

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the creative solution, i'll give it a go. I agree it isn't great to have to do this way but it could be a way forward until another approach is devised, maybe i'll also raise a RFE for this ability.

I could see it as an option when choosing the assignment, ie last user, load balance, round robin, "specific member". Where choosing that option allows the linking of a variable.

Cheers,

Bill

• DanS
    DanS
    9 Posts

‏2013-09-10T08:30:10Z  

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the creative solution, i'll give it a go. I agree it isn't great to have to do this way but it could be a way forward until another approach is devised, maybe i'll also raise a RFE for this ability.

I could see it as an option when choosing the assignment, ie last user, load balance, round robin, "specific member". Where choosing that option allows the linking of a variable.

Cheers,

Bill

No problem,

Maybe being able to set a "Default" or "Initial" user of a team would be useful, that way you could use the Filter functionality to add specific logic to the assignment.  I guess there are many ways to skin this particular cat!

Cheers,

Dan

• edling
    edling
    309 Posts

‏2014-03-12T12:57:28Z  

Related thread:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=6a0e105d-f8af-4897-8558-b77b045b933d&ps=100

There is now an RFE:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=45851

• WilliamTanner
    WilliamTanner
    12 Posts

‏2014-03-14T00:32:27Z  
    • edling
    • ‏2014-03-12T12:57:28Z

Hi Edling,

We also created an RFE a few months ago... sorry forgot to post the link here

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=44447

• AndersVinther
    AndersVinther
    113 Posts

‏2014-03-19T12:12:54Z  
    • DanS
    • ‏2013-09-10T08:13:13Z

Hi Bill,

Something like this;

I hope this helps,

Dan 

This worked for me too... had to change the activity to be a linked process though, but now it works with team reassignment in the portal as well...

Thanks!

• Bernardo Baumblatt
    Bernardo Baumblatt
    42 Posts

‏2014-03-19T17:08:17Z  
    • edling
    • ‏2014-03-12T12:57:28Z

Hi Everyone,

Please dont forget to vote on both RFE 44447 and 45851, I already done.

Regards,
    Bernardo Baumblatt
    Petrobras Distribuidora.

• AndersVinther
    AndersVinther
    113 Posts

‏2014-08-26T14:13:28Z  

This worked for me too... had to change the activity to be a linked process though, but now it works with team reassignment in the portal as well...

Thanks!

Just became aware of a side effect of this work around.

If people have enabled email notifications they will get an email for each task created for the team - before the task is assigned to a named user.

Obviously the task will not be available for them to work on, so it is quite confusing.

Is there a way to disable email notifications from Process Portal all together?

Thanks,

Anders