• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-02-06T22:57:13Z by schwicht
htanamas
htanamas
5 Posts

Pinned topic SCE with existing infrastructure

‏2013-06-26T01:34:54Z |

Hi,

I am new to SCE. Would like to know whether SCE could (after 1st install and add all necessary clouds):

1. Recognize and import all existing VMs from vCenter
  2. Recognize and import all existing PowerVM

Thank you for any response.

Updated on 2013-06-26T01:35:56Z at 2013-06-26T01:35:56Z by htanamas
  • WissamElriachy
    WissamElriachy
    9 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: SCE with existing infrastructure

‏2013-06-27T21:35:05Z  

Hi,

For Vcenter, the VMs will show up on the SCE side as long as they show up in the vcenter inventory.

For Power, it's different. Only workloads can show up on the SCE side. So if you have existing workloads that you deployed through VMC, those will show up fine. On the other hand, if you only have lpars, I believe VMC will allow you to build a workload from an existing lpar. Once you do that, the workload will show up in SCE.

I hope this helps,

Wissam

• WissamElriachy
    WissamElriachy
    9 Posts

‏2013-06-27T21:35:05Z  

Hi,

For Vcenter, the VMs will show up on the SCE side as long as they show up in the vcenter inventory.

For Power, it's different. Only workloads can show up on the SCE side. So if you have existing workloads that you deployed through VMC, those will show up fine. On the other hand, if you only have lpars, I believe VMC will allow you to build a workload from an existing lpar. Once you do that, the workload will show up in SCE.

I hope this helps,

Wissam

• cgrvy
    cgrvy
    6 Posts

‏2013-12-19T20:52:39Z  

Is it possible to automatically set all VM's in an existing environment to go into a project folder that is hidden from all users bar Admin ones? I know you can move them after the install, but if you have other users creating vm's in vCenter, they will show up in the public folder in SCE.

Or is there a way of removing users from the public folder?

Thanks!

• schwicht
    schwicht
    10 Posts

‏2014-02-06T22:57:13Z  
    • cgrvy
    • ‏2013-12-19T20:52:39Z

Is it possible to automatically set all VM's in an existing environment to go into a project folder that is hidden from all users bar Admin ones? I know you can move them after the install, but if you have other users creating vm's in vCenter, they will show up in the public folder in SCE.

Or is there a way of removing users from the public folder?

Thanks!

Ciaran,

Please make sure to open new topics, for additional questions. We overlooked this question because the initial question had been flagged as answered.

to your question, the admin guide

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/W21ed5ba0f4a9_46f4_9626_24cbbb86fbb9/page/Documentation

P143 states:

Configuring a staging project
    By default, IBM SmartCloud Entry scans the cloud for new images periodically. When IBM SmartCloud
    Entry finds a new image or instance, it places it in the Public project where all users have access to it.
    However, you can configure a staging project to store newly discovered images or instances, allowing
    administrators to configure images before making them available to other users.
    For more information about newly discovered images, see Cloud refresh interval.
    To configure this staging project, add or uncomment this line in the deployment.properties file:
    com.ibm.cfs.staging.project=Staging
    Save the deployment.properties file and restart the IBM SmartCloud Entry server. The property takes
    effect after the server is restarted.
    Note: When using the VMware adapter, virtual servers that are defined as templates on the vCenter
    server are automatically discovered and displayed on the IBM SmartCloud Entry Images area. The IBM
    SmartCloud Entry administrator defines which images belong to which user profiles and therefore
    defines which VMware virtual server templates a user can access. IBM SmartCloud Entry discovers all
    virtual server templates regardless of which datacenter they reside in. There is currently no option to
    limit IBM SmartCloud Entry to specific datacenters.

If you hide this staging project non admin users will not see those VM instances.

Best -Frank