Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-05-02T11:55:26Z by DanielWagemann
Makaha
Makaha
12 Posts

Pinned topic Report Service Affinity Connections

‏2013-04-26T06:09:33Z |

As I understand it, the recommended number of low affinity (LA) and high affinity (HA) connections for the Report Service (per process) are:

LA + HA <= 5, and LA>HA

yet when you do an install the default settings for the Report Service are:

LA = 8 and HA = 2 per process.

Does anyone know why the default settings do not match the recommended best practice settings?

• DanielWagemann
    DanielWagemann
    850 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Report Service Affinity Connections

‏2013-05-02T11:55:26Z  
    • Makaha
    • ‏2013-05-02T06:41:37Z

Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback. I can see a 64-bit environment would support these new default values, but they also apply to the 32-bit C10.2 installation. I can imagine some 32-bit hardware envionments might be a bit nervous with this many RS connections!

Again the affinities are a starting point and depend on the type of reports that are run.  To figure out what the settings should be based on a certain system, a capacity plan should be done. 

As a result of a capacity plan, I have seen configurations for 32 bit environments within higher affinities than the new 10.2 defaults work flawlessly.

• DanielWagemann
    DanielWagemann
    850 Posts

‏2013-05-01T15:08:17Z  

The threading model defaults were changed for the 10.2.  I am assuming the changes were based on the results of performance tests done against the architecture, which revealed that the architecture changes allows for more throughput.

The threading model defaults are only starting points, the actual required settings vary from site to site as it is directly linked to the type of reports the users run.  Any default settings, documented guideline or suggestions are not a substitute for a proper capacity plan engagement.

• Makaha
    Makaha
    12 Posts

‏2013-05-02T06:41:37Z  

The threading model defaults were changed for the 10.2.  I am assuming the changes were based on the results of performance tests done against the architecture, which revealed that the architecture changes allows for more throughput.

The threading model defaults are only starting points, the actual required settings vary from site to site as it is directly linked to the type of reports the users run.  Any default settings, documented guideline or suggestions are not a substitute for a proper capacity plan engagement.

Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback. I can see a 64-bit environment would support these new default values, but they also apply to the 32-bit C10.2 installation. I can imagine some 32-bit hardware envionments might be a bit nervous with this many RS connections!

• DanielWagemann
    DanielWagemann
    850 Posts

‏2013-05-02T11:55:26Z  
    • Makaha
    • ‏2013-05-02T06:41:37Z

Daniel,

Again the affinities are a starting point and depend on the type of reports that are run.  To figure out what the settings should be based on a certain system, a capacity plan should be done. 

As a result of a capacity plan, I have seen configurations for 32 bit environments within higher affinities than the new 10.2 defaults work flawlessly.