• 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-05-08T22:06:44Z by Frank_Blau
Frank_Blau
Frank_Blau
28 Posts

Pinned topic My Robot to Streams Project

‏2013-04-29T21:35:31Z |

I have added this to YouTube…

It's trickier than it looks… getting all those pieces to work together (Rasberry Pi, USB Robot Arm, VM-based Linux, Python, and IBM Streams)…

But the idea that I am working towards is being able to have a physical demonstration of "manufacturing" machine-generated data that can be consumed by Streams and then automatically put into a data mart on Netezza in real time.

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmZzbBzSQVU&feature=youtu.be

Frank

• Cauhape
    Cauhape
    15 Posts

Re: My Robot to Streams Project

‏2013-05-08T20:24:25Z  

Frank,

Thank you. That's pretty cool. If you don't mind, I have a few questions.

1. Does the Raspberry Pi receive all of the commands, and then execute each when the robot has finished the previous task, or does the Pi notify the Python program that the last command has completed and it's ready for the next one?

2. Does this system measure just the amount of time required to execute a movement, or does that time include latency from passing commands?

It's not my field, but I'm thinking that if you can record the actual time required for movement, by watching it over time you might be able to use Streams to gather and process performance data for predictive failure analysis.

Best Regards,

Jeff

• Frank_Blau
    Frank_Blau
    28 Posts

Re: My Robot to Streams Project

‏2013-05-08T22:06:44Z  
    • Cauhape
    • ‏2013-05-08T20:24:25Z

Frank,

Thank you. That's pretty cool. If you don't mind, I have a few questions.

1. Does the Raspberry Pi receive all of the commands, and then execute each when the robot has finished the previous task, or does the Pi notify the Python program that the last command has completed and it's ready for the next one?

2. Does this system measure just the amount of time required to execute a movement, or does that time include latency from passing commands?

It's not my field, but I'm thinking that if you can record the actual time required for movement, by watching it over time you might be able to use Streams to gather and process performance data for predictive failure analysis.

Best Regards,

Jeff

Thanks for your interest!

I can post up the Python program (it's at home right now) later. But the basic flow of the program is:

initialize robot

intialize io

create usb command

send usb command

send tcp packet

---

There is a start and a stop command so the whole thing looks like:

send start movement command

send tcp packet to streams port

send stop movement command

send tcp packet to streams port

It is pretty crude at this point, but you are right that it gives you a good way to check your expected timing with the actual.

Frank