Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-17T13:10:07Z by binnes
F7QD_Nicolas_Echavarria
19 Posts

Pinned topic Unable to install tgz patterns on VPKFD 4.0

‏2013-10-15T20:29:55Z |

Hello forum!

We've installed VPKFD and successfully deployed the Java EE Web Application pattern example.

Now we need to proceed with the pattern installation for BPM, Portal and IB. We've downloaded each .tgz and created a local website with a reachable URL from the IWD machine.

Now, we proceed to Cloud>Pattern types and click on the plus sign.  Select remote, provide the tested URL where the tgz resides with NO password and after a few seconds of a blue status sign that states "Uploading..." we the a red status sign that states "Unable to download file from URL http://192.168.5.249/ova/WPS_HE8.0.0.1_RHEL_X86_64_ML.tgz." (See attached image for error).

How can we detect what is going on with the download? Are we doing something wrong?

We've also downloaded the tooling and have installed deployer.cli locally, are able to connect to hypervisor for the documentation for the manual installation via the command line is not very clear... an example would be great!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best,

• binnes
    binnes
    21 Posts

Re: Unable to install tgz patterns on VPKFD 4.0

‏2013-10-16T10:49:30Z  

Hello Nicolas,

There are 2 types of pattern - Virtual System and Virtual Application and the approach to load the two types is different:

Virtual Applications are uploaded as a single tgz file.  You can do this from the command line using the CLI or for the UI.

Virtual Systems are delivered as a compressed archive, but need to be uncompressed before being loaded to the VPDK.  There is usually a README file contained in the archive with a URL for the documentation.  This should include instructions how to load the pattern.  Many of the patterns now include a loader.bat and loader.sh file, which will use the CLI to import the pattern for you.  The command is usually of the form:

./loader -h 192.168.1.10 -u cbadmin -p cbadmin

where 192.168.1.10 is the IP address of the running VPDK and cbadmin is the user name and password to log into VPDK.

The error you are seeing is because you are loading a Virtual System pattern from the Virtual Application pattern screen and the tgz file does not contain the expected content for a Virtual Application pattern.

Hope this helps, please get back in touch if you need additional assistance.

Brian

• F7QD_Nicolas_Echavarria
    19 Posts

‏2013-10-16T17:44:15Z  
    • binnes
    • ‏2013-10-16T10:49:30Z

Hello Nicolas,

There are 2 types of pattern - Virtual System and Virtual Application and the approach to load the two types is different:

Virtual Applications are uploaded as a single tgz file.  You can do this from the command line using the CLI or for the UI.

Virtual Systems are delivered as a compressed archive, but need to be uncompressed before being loaded to the VPDK.  There is usually a README file contained in the archive with a URL for the documentation.  This should include instructions how to load the pattern.  Many of the patterns now include a loader.bat and loader.sh file, which will use the CLI to import the pattern for you.  The command is usually of the form:

<pre dir="ltr" style="margin-left: 40px;">./loader -h 192.168.1.10 -u cbadmin -p cbadmin </pre>

where 192.168.1.10 is the IP address of the running VPDK and cbadmin is the user name and password to log into VPDK.

The error you are seeing is because you are loading a Virtual System pattern from the Virtual Application pattern screen and the tgz file does not contain the expected content for a Virtual Application pattern.

Hope this helps, please get back in touch if you need additional assistance.

Brian

Brian,

Thanks a lot for your response!
    I can't seem to grasp the difference between the Virtual System vs. Virtual App. as I think we are following the pattern instructions to the letter here.
    I've attached an example (we need to understand and work with BPM, Portal and Broker) in this case, we've started with BPM.
    The attached file is the Quick start guide for the BPM Adv. 8.5
    In this case I really do not see a loader.sh/bat or installer.sh/bat only a .tgz that expands to .tar and then to a folder structure with more tgz's.
    The pattern for BPM is BPM_APP_PATTERN_V85_RHEL_X64.tgz

Can you give it a try with this pattern and let me know what we are doing wrong?

Thanks so much for your time!!

Nicolas E.

Attachments

• binnes
    binnes
    21 Posts

‏2013-10-17T13:10:07Z  

Brian,

Thanks a lot for your response!
    I can't seem to grasp the difference between the Virtual System vs. Virtual App. as I think we are following the pattern instructions to the letter here.
    I've attached an example (we need to understand and work with BPM, Portal and Broker) in this case, we've started with BPM.
    The attached file is the Quick start guide for the BPM Adv. 8.5
    In this case I really do not see a loader.sh/bat or installer.sh/bat only a .tgz that expands to .tar and then to a folder structure with more tgz's.
    The pattern for BPM is BPM_APP_PATTERN_V85_RHEL_X64.tgz

Can you give it a try with this pattern and let me know what we are doing wrong?

Thanks so much for your time!!

Nicolas E.

Hello Nicolas,

There are 2 different types of pattern in PureApplication System and VPDK:

1. Virtual Application (From top menu Patterns -> Virtual Applications).  Virtual Applications abstract the physical deployment model and work with components of the solution, such as an Enterprise Application Archive or Database Schema.  The pattern determines what VMWare machines need to be deployed and what middleware components are needed to host the pattern.  Virtual Application pattern types can be found under Cloud -> Pattern Types in the top level menu.

2. Virtual Systems (From top menu Patterns -> Virtual System).  Virtual Systems allow the pattern creator to plan the physical deployment, requiring the pattern creator to specify the topology of images and products.  Virtual systems are made up of Virtual Images, script packages and add-Ons.  The components for a virtual system can be found under Catalog -> Virtual Images / Script Packages / Add-Ons

When you are importing a new pattern you need to understand if it is a Virtual Application Pattern Type or a Virtual System Pattern, as there are different steps required to import the pattern.  Your first example - WPS is a Virtual System - which is what my original reply was about - how to import a virtual system into VPDK.  Your last note was about BPM, which is a Virtual Application Pattern type.

The link Downloading and installing IBM BPM Application Pattern explains how to import this pattern type. 

If you want to use the command line interface

To load a Virtual Application Pattern Type  : deployer.patterntypes.create('E:\\dbaas-2.0.0.1.tgz').  Documentation can be found here - http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/psappsys/v1r0m0/topic/com.ibm.ipas.doc/iwd/apr_patterntype.html

To load a Virtual System Pattern : deployer.patterns.load('./content/'). Documentation can be found here - http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/psappsys/v1r0m0/topic/com.ibm.ipas.doc/iwd/mpr_clipatre.html