Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-11-07T21:48:17Z by Doug_Wilson
Doug_Wilson
Doug_Wilson
9 Posts

Pinned topic View Will Not Display in a Module

‏2013-11-07T17:16:14Z |

I was made aware of a module where in switching between some of the views defined for it, the view never displays, or in some cases may display after waiting 2 to 5 minutes.  There are 9 views defined in the module and some of them work fine.  I have not looked at the problem views to see what all they contain.  I figure this behaviour is probably due to some complexities in the views like DXL attribues and advanced filtering.  Just wondering if anyone in the forum community has seen this with views in a module and knows what to look for in these views in order to explain to the user why it's behaving like it is.  Thanks!

• llandale
    llandale
    648 Posts

Re: View Will Not Display in a Module

‏2013-11-07T18:36:04Z  

Little doubt the slow view has slow layouts or attr-DXL.   You can query Attr-DXL without loading the view.  Unfortunately you must load the view to query Layouts.

You should primarily look for such code that opens link-partner modules, gets information, then closes that other module.  If so, the module will be opened and closed EACH time the code runs, for each Object.  That won't be so bad for Attr-DXL until you start scrolling, but for Layouts it is a disaster since the Layout re-runs on each module refresh, which can be 10 times per second if you do anything on your PC (move some other window).

I think that layouts or attr-DXL that do filtering should cause exception violations; but look for that in the code.

Views dependant on other views may also be a problem.

-Louie

• Doug_Wilson
    Doug_Wilson
    9 Posts

Re: View Will Not Display in a Module

‏2013-11-07T21:48:17Z  
    • llandale
    • ‏2013-11-07T18:36:04Z

Little doubt the slow view has slow layouts or attr-DXL.   You can query Attr-DXL without loading the view.  Unfortunately you must load the view to query Layouts.

You should primarily look for such code that opens link-partner modules, gets information, then closes that other module.  If so, the module will be opened and closed EACH time the code runs, for each Object.  That won't be so bad for Attr-DXL until you start scrolling, but for Layouts it is a disaster since the Layout re-runs on each module refresh, which can be 10 times per second if you do anything on your PC (move some other window).

I think that layouts or attr-DXL that do filtering should cause exception violations; but look for that in the code.

Views dependant on other views may also be a problem.

-Louie

Louie, thanks for your comments.  I figured I'd find some complication in the view, for example layout DXL columns as you described.  Opening the module I wasn't sure how I'd even be able to inspect it since I couldn't open it.  Paying a little more attention, I noticed that with the view selected, before I clicked the left mouse button the focus moved back to the current view box.  If I was seeing that right, then no wonder nothing changed.  I then found that I could move in the list of views with the up and down arrow keys and then hit the enter button.  With that the focus stayed steady.  Turns out all of the views open right up.  Still wanting to check, very little complexity in them.  So sort of a false alarm on my part.  I don't know why the jumpiness of the mouse movement, especially as I don't see it widespread.  Come to think of it, on the rare occasion that I open a link module and choose between the linksets, I will sometimes see similar behaviour.  I don't know enough about mouse movement detection in an application to assign blame.  I think we'll just have to accept the workaround when we see this behaviour.