Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-02-26T19:37:57Z by spoonware
spoonware
spoonware
140 Posts

Pinned topic deployment/geronimo-web.xml not working right re: security-realm-name

‏2013-12-11T20:23:11Z |

I'm working with WASCE this time and I've had great success getting MySql databases to work with the SQL Call builders, etc.  Now I'm having trouble with setting up security.  I find when I edit WEB-INF\bin\deployment\geronimo-web.xml so that it has

<security-realm-name>XYZRealm</security-realm-name>

<security>

....blah blah blah

</security>

None of this XML ends up in WEB-INF\geronimo-web.xml

I found a post in this forum when I searched for security-realm-name and it said that guy had no problem doing what I'm trying to do by editing the deployment\geronimo-web.xml.

I'm using WEF 8.0.0.0 and then I upgraded to WEF 8.0.0.3 and have the same problem.  I'm running on a Windows 7 VM.

To be clear what my problem is:  when I publish to WASCE from WEF, the publish fails and provides an error about there being some security-related stuff in web.xml (which there is) but that no <security-realm-name> was supplied in the Geronimo plan or geronimo-web.xml.  When I export a WAR instead of building, I get proof that the real geronimo-web.xml is not getting my security stuff from the deployment version of the file.

Other things I put in deployment\geronimo-web.xml like dependencies and resource-ref stuff has worked.  It seems like the deployment process shuns my security stuff in deployment\geronimo-web.xml

Any ideas how I can fix this issue?

Spoon

• spoonware
    spoonware
    140 Posts

Re: deployment/geronimo-web.xml not working right re: security-realm-name

‏2013-12-11T21:54:19Z  

Here's the article I mentioned in the first post:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014469404&ps=25

Spoon

Updated on 2013-12-12T00:17:44Z at 2013-12-12T00:17:44Z by spoonware
  • mburati
    mburati
    2568 Posts

‏2013-12-11T22:01:20Z  

Spoon,

As with all extensions to deployment descriptors, it's best to add the extension under one of the WEB-INF/bin/deployment/extensions/  folders  (eg, WEB-INF/bin/deployment/extensions/geronimon.web/     than to try to edit the deployment descriptor template under the deployment folder directly.   Look at the Readme.txt  description in that geronimo.web folder under extensions and try adding what you need that way, if you haven't tried that already.

Spoon knows this, but for others reading this thread, please remember that WEF WAS CE support is for development testing only and not for production deployments.

Also, Spoon, the link to the other article you mention above appears to be a link back to this thread, so i think you pasted the wrong URL into that post.

I hope that info helps,

..Mike Burati 
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.
  • spoonware
    spoonware
    140 Posts

‏2013-12-12T00:18:52Z  

Ah, I see.  OK, so I"m trying again with a new set of my own xml files in that geronimo.web folder and having higher hopes.

Also, I corrected the URL in my first response so that should be better.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Spoon

• spoonware
    spoonware
    140 Posts

‏2013-12-12T00:19:42Z  

Also, I am just doing a proof of concept but it relies on URLs with arguments that cause logins to happen to I have to have the security realm thing working.

Spoon

• spoonware
    spoonware
    140 Posts

‏2013-12-12T00:47:52Z  

OK, so I got it working with <dependencies>.  I created a file called dependencies.xml, although I think the name doesn't matter as long as it ends in .xml

It didn't work with <security> or <security-realm-name> and I tried it several different ways.

So, I still have the same original problem.

Can you provide more info on anything special I need to know to get these additional extensions to work for security?

Spoon

• mburati
    mburati
    2568 Posts

‏2013-12-12T16:08:53Z  
    • spoonware
    • ‏2013-12-12T00:47:52Z

OK, so I got it working with <dependencies>.  I created a file called dependencies.xml, although I think the name doesn't matter as long as it ends in .xml

It didn't work with <security> or <security-realm-name> and I tried it several different ways.

So, I still have the same original problem.

Can you provide more info on anything special I need to know to get these additional extensions to work for security?

Spoon

Sorry Spoon I'm not a big WASCE user/fan myself as I like to see everything I build run on the WAS/Portal version it'll ultimately run on so I'l have to check with those more familiar with that and get back to you.   Just a thought/opinion, but it's possible that since WASCE was added mainly for rapid local testing of UI/rough functionality and not production deployment that security extensions were not enabled for the deployment descriptor extension fragment processing.    Will let you know when I know more.

..Mike Burati 
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.
  • spoonware
    spoonware
    140 Posts

‏2014-02-26T19:37:57Z  
    • mburati
    • ‏2013-12-12T16:08:53Z

Sorry Spoon I'm not a big WASCE user/fan myself as I like to see everything I build run on the WAS/Portal version it'll ultimately run on so I'l have to check with those more familiar with that and get back to you.   Just a thought/opinion, but it's possible that since WASCE was added mainly for rapid local testing of UI/rough functionality and not production deployment that security extensions were not enabled for the deployment descriptor extension fragment processing.    Will let you know when I know more.

..Mike Burati 

Thanks, mburati. 

I believe you are right about the security stuff not having been implemented.  I have since bailed on WASCE for this demo project and have installed WAS instead. 

Now I'm going to start a new thread with questions about the security stuff there, too.

Spoon