Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-07-02T17:43:24Z by AlanBoxall
meeotch
meeotch
4 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How to set a breakpoint with multiple conditions?

‏2014-04-23T19:58:14Z |

My company has swtiched over to RDz, and I'm trying to become accustomed to the debugger (old Viasoft Smart Test user).  However, no one here can answer this question for me, nor can I find it, while searching the net.  My issue is that I'd like to set up a breakpoint that is contingent on multiple variables being set to my desired values.  Currently, I am able to set a statement breakpoint with an expression of, let's say VAR1 = x.  This works great.  But what if I want to stop only if VAR1 = x and VAR2 = y?  One internet search led me to writing it just like that (VAR1 = x AND VAR2 = y), but to no avail. I've tried separating by commas, adding parenthesis in every possible place, but still no luck.  Any ideas?  Is this even possible?  I was able to do this with Smart Test and I miss it!

Thanks!

Updated on 2014-04-23T19:58:54Z at 2014-04-23T19:58:54Z by meeotch
  • AlanBoxall
    AlanBoxall
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to set a breakpoint with multiple conditions?

‏2014-05-08T21:05:17Z  in response to meeotch

I've sent your question to the Debug Tool team.

RDz is passing the expression to the engine but for some reason (I'll post the answer once I have it) Debug Tool is rejecting it.

• AlanBoxall
    AlanBoxall
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-05-14T17:30:47Z  in response to meeotch

The DT team would like to know which compiler you are using?
    COBOL v4 or v5?

• meeotch
      meeotch
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-05-14T19:23:13Z  in response to AlanBoxall

We are on v4 currently. 

• AlanBoxall
        AlanBoxall
        6 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-06-16T17:06:12Z  in response to meeotch

ok.. Sorry for the delay in responding.. Was at Innovate 2014!

This will work if you use the v5 COBOL compiler.

For the v4 compiler, there is a problem with how Debug Tool interacts with the v4 EE (Expression Evaluator)

The Debug Tool is looking into it.

If this is a must have feature you do have the option in RDz v901 and above to use the Integrated Debugger.  This is shipped with RDz (part on the host side) and it does support compound expressions with both v4 and v5 compilers.  Depending on your configuration it is relatively easy to switch it to give it a try.

• AlanBoxall
        AlanBoxall
        6 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-07-02T17:43:24Z  in response to meeotch

Response from the Debug Tool team:  Debug Tool is using a v4 COBOL expression evaluator that doesn't support compound expressions.

The Debug Tool team requested that you open an RFE to request the enhancement.

The RDz Integrated debugger uses a different v4 COBOL expression evaluator that does support compound expressions.