• 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2019-03-21T20:56:20Z by Topshot
huy.nguyen
huy.nguyen
2 Posts

Pinned topic AS400 v7r1 connection from .NET framework 4.6, VS2017

‏2017-07-04T12:45:08Z |

Hi gents,

I'm very new with DB2 but have started a project that require to manipulate DB2 Database in AS400 v7r1 iSeries.

I'm try using IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries nuget to make a connection but no luck. My connection string in Web.config like

<add key="ConnectionString" value="Provider=IBMDA400;Password=pwd;User ID=user;Data Source=server_ip_add;Transport Product=Client Access;SSL=DEFAULT;Default Collection=default_schema"/>

and

var myConnection = new iDB2Connection(connectionString);

The returned error is 'The connectionstring property is invalid'

There are some other nugets named IBM.Data.Db2 and IBM.Data.Db.Provider but I havent tried it. These seem works with .NET 4.0 but I'm not sure they can work with AS400 v7r1.

Could you please give me some guides?

• vish2017
    vish2017
    47 Posts

Re: AS400 v7r1 connection from .NET framework 4.6, VS2017

‏2017-07-04T13:41:51Z  

Hi,

This forum is for discussing IBM Data Server Drivers only and not the correct forum to discuss  the driver you have mentioned. You may have to contact the publisher of the package to get more help. Same holds good for the other package you have mentioned.

You can try to download our dsdriver package from http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21385217 . You need to have a valid license to use the driver and it can be used for traditional .NET applications.

You can also try  IBM.Data.DB.Provider package from NuGet since it our support for .NET Framework Cloud application scenarios and let us know if you face any issues.

Thanks and regards

Vishwa

• huy.nguyen
    huy.nguyen
    2 Posts

‏2017-07-04T15:14:16Z  
    • vish2017
    • ‏2017-07-04T13:41:51Z

Hi,

This forum is for discussing IBM Data Server Drivers only and not the correct forum to discuss  the driver you have mentioned. You may have to contact the publisher of the package to get more help. Same holds good for the other package you have mentioned.

You can try to download our dsdriver package from http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21385217 . You need to have a valid license to use the driver and it can be used for traditional .NET applications.

You can also try  IBM.Data.DB.Provider package from NuGet since it our support for .NET Framework Cloud application scenarios and let us know if you face any issues.

Thanks and regards

Vishwa

Hi Vishwa,

Thanks for your reply.

I have installed the dsdriver package, latest version (11) and got dlls. I'm wondering whether IBM.Data.DB.Provider is officially released by IBM or third party. If not, which one is offical nuget.

I also create Model with ADO.NET Entity Framework with VS 2015 but no luck. I cannot connect to db server. 

Thus, my another is whether DSDriver and VSAI are able to work with AS400 v7r1

Thanks

• vish2017
    vish2017
    47 Posts

‏2017-07-05T08:03:37Z  

Hi,

yes you can use DSDriver to connect to AS400 v7r1. Can you please let me know what error you are getting? Before trying with any application, you can validate the installation of dsdriver with testconn40 utility. Please refer to https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSGU8G_11.50.0/com.ibm.net_cc.doc/com.ibm.swg.im.dbclient.install.doc/doc/r0058814.htm for details. Please refer to section 'Testing connectivity using ADO.NET' for testing the validity of the ,NET driver.

Regarding IBM.Data.DB.Provider, yes it is official and we are referring to the package at https://www.nuget.org/packages/IBM.Data.DB.Provider/11.1.2020.4.

You can refer to the following blog for more details https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/roller-ui/authoring/weblogEntryDetail.do?entryId=4a6a02fe-a344-4632-bb31-49f991f31c62&method=view&rmik=tabbedmenu.weblog.archives&lnk=%2Froller-ui%2Fauthoring%2FweblogEntryManagement.do%3Fmethod%3Dquery%26rmik%3Dtabbedmenu.weblog.archives%26weblog%3D96960515-2ea1-4391-8170-b0515d08e4da%26status%3DALL%26pageSize%3D25%26reverse%3D1&status=ALL&lang=en

Thanks and regards

Vishwa

• NuckingFuts
    NuckingFuts
    13 Posts

‏2017-09-11T21:12:55Z  

Hi Vishwa,

Thanks for your reply.

I have installed the dsdriver package, latest version (11) and got dlls. I'm wondering whether IBM.Data.DB.Provider is officially released by IBM or third party. If not, which one is offical nuget.

I also create Model with ADO.NET Entity Framework with VS 2015 but no luck. I cannot connect to db server. 

Thus, my another is whether DSDriver and VSAI are able to work with AS400 v7r1

Thanks

IBM still has no support for VS 2017 for their VSAI addon, so you can not create entity models in the traditional way under that platform. It took over 18 months for them to release support for VS 2015, so be aware, you could be waiting awhile for VS 2017 support.

• Rex_Smith
    Rex_Smith
    1 Post

Re: AS400 v7r1 connection from .NET framework 4.6, VS2017 - IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries.dll is correct

‏2018-06-21T20:33:24Z  

Hello Huy,

I just found this discussion thread today so you may no longer need a reply.  However, basically vish2017 is somewhat misinformed in my opinion, as the IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries.dll is published by IBM and is still viable.  We have it working with Visual Studio 2015 and .NET framework 4.6.1 and are on the verge of having it work with Visual Studio 2017.  Not specifically on IBM i 7.1 (I assume you mean IBM i instead of AS/400) but this should be fine.

To get started, Install 2 drivers, the .NET driver and the OLE driver (for maximum flexibility in choices), from Client Access v7.1 level (a custom install) on to your desktop/PC machine on which you are using the Visual Studio IDE.  I just did this onto a Windows 10 machine with Visual Studio 2017 last week.

Note:  I don't believe any of the Access Client Solutions (ACS) versions yet contain any version of this driver.

Go out to NuGet Package Manager and get this driver (search on IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries) and download it to overlay, as I believe it is 1 increment higher/later (posted by Christopher Gunn, version 7.1.0).  Once put into Bin it shows as 12.0.0.0 in GAC but 13.0.0.2 as File Version.

See our website page for a connection string example, http://www.tegratecs.com/IBMDataDB2iSeriesProvider2.aspx

The provider is at the 2.0 .NET Framework level, so if you are wanting to create a web app or web project at a later .NET framework level, you will likely have to do a little bit of fine tuning in the web.config file.  Please contact me or ask in the forum for more details.

This driver allows you to drag and drop from an Db2 for i database file and create a .NET dataset object!  (like a multidimensional data structure based on an external record format only with the added benefits of tied in OO methods).

Please let me know if you need more information.

For the IIS server machine, I believe you only need to install the same 2 drivers (.NET and OLE) from the Client Access 7.1 version (pictures enclosed).  Thus, the IIS server machine gets the same install as the IDE machine.

Updated on 2018-06-21T23:51:01Z at 2018-06-21T23:51:01Z by Rex_Smith
  • VishDev2018
    VishDev2018
    64 Posts

Re: AS400 v7r1 connection from .NET framework 4.6, VS2017 - IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries.dll is correct

‏2018-06-22T06:40:31Z  
    • Rex_Smith
    • ‏2018-06-21T20:33:24Z

Hello Huy,

I just found this discussion thread today so you may no longer need a reply.  However, basically vish2017 is somewhat misinformed in my opinion, as the IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries.dll is published by IBM and is still viable.  We have it working with Visual Studio 2015 and .NET framework 4.6.1 and are on the verge of having it work with Visual Studio 2017.  Not specifically on IBM i 7.1 (I assume you mean IBM i instead of AS/400) but this should be fine.

To get started, Install 2 drivers, the .NET driver and the OLE driver (for maximum flexibility in choices), from Client Access v7.1 level (a custom install) on to your desktop/PC machine on which you are using the Visual Studio IDE.  I just did this onto a Windows 10 machine with Visual Studio 2017 last week.

Note:  I don't believe any of the Access Client Solutions (ACS) versions yet contain any version of this driver.

Go out to NuGet Package Manager and get this driver (search on IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries) and download it to overlay, as I believe it is 1 increment higher/later (posted by Christopher Gunn, version 7.1.0).  Once put into Bin it shows as 12.0.0.0 in GAC but 13.0.0.2 as File Version.

See our website page for a connection string example, http://www.tegratecs.com/IBMDataDB2iSeriesProvider2.aspx

The provider is at the 2.0 .NET Framework level, so if you are wanting to create a web app or web project at a later .NET framework level, you will likely have to do a little bit of fine tuning in the web.config file.  Please contact me or ask in the forum for more details.

This driver allows you to drag and drop from an Db2 for i database file and create a .NET dataset object!  (like a multidimensional data structure based on an external record format only with the added benefits of tied in OO methods).

Please let me know if you need more information.

For the IIS server machine, I believe you only need to install the same 2 drivers (.NET and OLE) from the Client Access 7.1 version (pictures enclosed).  Thus, the IIS server machine gets the same install as the IDE machine.

there is no confusion in the earlier reply:

==> This forum is not for any other products than the one I mentioned. 

==> There is an option to contact the publisher of the package and that is what I am suggesting. 

==> Your reply is useful but it is in the wrong forum since the users of our provider may get confused with the details you have provided. It may be better for you to open a separate forum for IBM I Client Access and related products.

Thank you

Vishwa

• Topshot
    Topshot
    2 Posts

‏2019-03-20T17:11:57Z  

there is no confusion in the earlier reply:

==> This forum is not for any other products than the one I mentioned. 

==> There is an option to contact the publisher of the package and that is what I am suggesting. 

==> Your reply is useful but it is in the wrong forum since the users of our provider may get confused with the details you have provided. It may be better for you to open a separate forum for IBM I Client Access and related products.

Thank you

Vishwa

@VishDev2018,

I'm still puzzled by your response. If this subforum isn't for the IBM recommended .NET provider for DB2 for IBM i otherwise known as IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries then which one is?

The forum info states: This forum provides a place for 'DB2 for z/OS', 'DB2 for IBM i', 'DB2 for Linux Unix and Windows' and Informix developers using the DB2 .NET provider to share their questions, thoughts and ideas with others. This includes topics covering ADO.NET, Entity Framework and OData, IBM Database Add-Ins or Visual Studio and related technologies with the above mentioned IBM data servers.

• VishDev2018
    VishDev2018
    64 Posts

‏2019-03-21T06:39:58Z  
    • Topshot
    • ‏2019-03-20T17:11:57Z

@VishDev2018,

I'm still puzzled by your response. If this subforum isn't for the IBM recommended .NET provider for DB2 for IBM i otherwise known as IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries then which one is?

The forum info states: This forum provides a place for 'DB2 for z/OS', 'DB2 for IBM i', 'DB2 for Linux Unix and Windows' and Informix developers using the DB2 .NET provider to share their questions, thoughts and ideas with others. This includes topics covering ADO.NET, Entity Framework and OData, IBM Database Add-Ins or Visual Studio and related technologies with the above mentioned IBM data servers.

Hi,

this forum is specific to the provider IBM.Data.DB2 and related tools and I am not aware of the forum for IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries. You may have to contact IBM Customer support to get help with iSeries provider.

Thanks

Vishwa

• Topshot
    Topshot
    2 Posts

‏2019-03-21T20:56:20Z  

Hi,

this forum is specific to the provider IBM.Data.DB2 and related tools and I am not aware of the forum for IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries. You may have to contact IBM Customer support to get help with iSeries provider.

Thanks

Vishwa

They should make that distinction clear in the forum description then.