• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-24T12:12:43Z by DannyRo
infusednz
infusednz
9 Posts

Pinned topic DS3524 firmware update

‏2013-09-22T23:01:10Z |

Hi All,

We have a production DS3524. It's currently running firmware 07.83.27.00. I see there have been quite a few releases since this firmware. We have it connected to x3650 M4's.

Should I be worried about doing this on a production system? What are the failsafes if this does not go as planned?

Thanks

Updated on 2013-09-22T23:01:20Z at 2013-09-22T23:01:20Z by infusednz
  • AndersLorensen
    AndersLorensen
    156 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DS3524 firmware update

‏2013-09-23T14:55:44Z  
    • infusednz
    • ‏2013-09-23T08:56:44Z

Yes, dual controllers. We have one expansion bay as well, going to each controller, so I assume the expansion will be fine since it has redundancy.

Regarding hdd firmware updates, are these really necessary? I've never, ever done them on any storage device.

Yes, upgrading the controller firmware will not affect the expansion enclosure.

Upgrading the Expansion enclosure ESM firmware requires downtime for all disks/raid sets that uses that enclosure.. (in my experience its less than 30 seconds)

Upgrading the HDD firmware requires downtime, how much depends on number of disks, but last time I updated a 96-disk system it took less than a minute for all 96 disks.

Whenever there is anything important in the HDD firmware updates requre you to look at the release notes/changelogs for the firmware for your HDD's. Some have some very critical updates (especially the 3½" SAS disks) while others are minor issues, that in certain situations could be bad.

--

Anders

• AndersLorensen
    AndersLorensen
    156 Posts

‏2013-09-23T08:41:46Z  

First of all, IBM have a thing called Minimum firmware level, which is basicly the oldest firmware you can still get support for. You want to always stay above that firmware level. If you dont have that firmware or above, you'll be asked to upgrade the firmware before they start to help you. (Time you often dont have in that situation)

You can see the minimum firmware level here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=ssg1S1003713

Currently the minimum level is 7.77.38 - so you are fine.

Doing a firmware upgrade can be simple, and mostly dont give any trouble at all. (I've upgraded alot of DS3500 and never had a problem).

You need to be sure you have working multipath drivers installed on all hosts using the DS3524. And you need to read some readme.txt files, and after that, its really just starting the upgrade.

ESM and harddisk firmware upgrades are a bit tricky as they cannot be done online. So if you have expansion shelfs connected, you might need to Schedule a service window for it.

As for Fail-safes, The system upgrades one controller, then checks that it is working as intended, switches over, and then upgrades the other. So you'll always have 1 working controller during the upgrade. If an upgrade failes, it wont start upgradeing the other controller.

(I'm asuming you have a dual-controller DS3524, single controller version requires downtime)

--

Anders

• infusednz
    infusednz
    9 Posts

‏2013-09-23T08:56:44Z  

Yes, dual controllers. We have one expansion bay as well, going to each controller, so I assume the expansion will be fine since it has redundancy.

Regarding hdd firmware updates, are these really necessary? I've never, ever done them on any storage device.

• AndersLorensen
    AndersLorensen
    156 Posts

‏2013-09-23T14:55:44Z  
    • infusednz
    • ‏2013-09-23T08:56:44Z

Upgrading the Expansion enclosure ESM firmware requires downtime for all disks/raid sets that uses that enclosure.. (in my experience its less than 30 seconds)

Upgrading the HDD firmware requires downtime, how much depends on number of disks, but last time I updated a 96-disk system it took less than a minute for all 96 disks.

Whenever there is anything important in the HDD firmware updates requre you to look at the release notes/changelogs for the firmware for your HDD's. Some have some very critical updates (especially the 3½" SAS disks) while others are minor issues, that in certain situations could be bad.

--

Anders

• infusednz
    infusednz
    9 Posts

‏2013-09-24T00:55:48Z  

--

Anders

Thanks for your assistance, much appreciated.

• DannyRo
    DannyRo
    1 Post

‏2013-09-24T12:12:43Z  

--

Anders

In my experience, upgrading the ESM firmware did not require any downtime.  We have 3 dual controller DS3512's behind an 8 node SVC cluster, it transfers the code to one ESM on Side A first then Side B so you will always be up and running on one ESM.  This is of course taking into account that you have two ESM's.