• 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-08-08T10:12:09Z by chriscanto
Elchin84
Elchin84
5 Posts

Pinned topic Storwize v3700 Degraded Ports

‏2014-08-06T06:44:29Z |

Hi Guys,

We have blade server that using Brocade SAN switch connected to DS5200. As sys admins asked more space for blades I have connected Storwize v3700 via 4 FC ports to the Brocade SAN switch. Blade has two HBAs. I haved zoned appropriate ports. So I tried to add host and therefore WWPNs to storwize but it coudn't find these port by RESCAN button. When I tried to add them manually, It has showed one port as "degraded" and onother as "offline" state. Anyway Linux OS which runs inside the blade could see the LUNs, and as we mounted it's worked. 

Why these ports doesn't seem as ACTIVE instead of DEGRADED or OFFLINE?

• chriscanto
    chriscanto
    291 Posts

Re: Storwize v3700 Degraded Ports

‏2014-08-06T08:12:35Z  

The host port status of degraded indicates that the host port isn't logged into both node canisters.  Offline says it doesn't have a login to either.

As the host OS can see the volumes that suggests it's using one of the online paths,  but by itself it doesn't tell you which paths the host has discovered.

You can use the "multipath -ll" output on Linux to see how many paths there are for each volume.

Suggest you check the switch port status to confirm each of the connections is online, check the zoning, then check the host definition on the V3700.

• Elchin84
    Elchin84
    5 Posts

‏2014-08-07T05:39:55Z  

The host port status of degraded indicates that the host port isn't logged into both node canisters.  Offline says it doesn't have a login to either.

As the host OS can see the volumes that suggests it's using one of the online paths,  but by itself it doesn't tell you which paths the host has discovered.

You can use the "multipath -ll" output on Linux to see how many paths there are for each volume.

Suggest you check the switch port status to confirm each of the connections is online, check the zoning, then check the host definition on the V3700.

I have checked all config and physical state of SAN. But just one port is shown on storage, all port are online licensed and working state :(

• Elchin84
    Elchin84
    5 Posts

‏2014-08-07T06:57:52Z  

OMG!!! WTF??? I have disabled zoning but wwpn is still shown on storage!!! It doen't shown if I plug the cable out or disable the port but as I enable it without zoning it immediately shown on storage )))) What a dilemma?! :(

• chriscanto
    chriscanto
    291 Posts

‏2014-08-07T08:31:29Z  
    • Elchin84
    • ‏2014-08-07T06:57:52Z

OMG!!! WTF??? I have disabled zoning but wwpn is still shown on storage!!! It doen't shown if I plug the cable out or disable the port but as I enable it without zoning it immediately shown on storage )))) What a dilemma?! :(

Some switches have different behaviour for when zoning is disabled.  On some it means "all access" on others it means "no access".  Brocade, for example, have a configuration setting to change the default zone access.  You can display the current setting with the "defZone -show" command.

• Elchin84
    Elchin84
    5 Posts

‏2014-08-07T09:31:25Z  

Some switches have different behaviour for when zoning is disabled.  On some it means "all access" on others it means "no access".  Brocade, for example, have a configuration setting to change the default zone access.  You can display the current setting with the "defZone -show" command.

Default Mode is "all access" but I haven't disabled zoning. Effective Zone Config is config that I configured. I didn't remove all zone, just deleted appropriate ports to diagnose. Even If "all access" is effective config, it needs to see other ports too, that I didn't zoned. It just sees port 16 whether Zoned is configured or not.

• Elchin84
    Elchin84
    5 Posts

‏2014-08-08T10:02:23Z  

I've found solution! After saving config the effective config should to be re-enabled on Brocade switched.

Thank you for you effort man!!!

• chriscanto
    chriscanto
    291 Posts

‏2014-08-08T10:12:09Z  
    • Elchin84
    • ‏2014-08-08T10:02:23Z

I've found solution! After saving config the effective config should to be re-enabled on Brocade switched.

Thank you for you effort man!!!

:-)

Glad it was a simple solution in the end.