IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-11T22:57:26Z by GeethaR
GeethaR
GeethaR
3 Posts

Pinned topic DB2 Schema based

‏2013-09-05T19:44:52Z |

I am totally new to Mainframe and DB2, but experienced in .Net and SQL server.

It looks like I am missing something. Because I can view stored procs from development server in editors but I can not view stored proc statements from mainframe production server in editor. Any option (without directly using Mainframe) to download/import from production DB2 server to visual studio or IBM Data studio.  

All I need is to list, then edit Stored proc from DB2 server.

Please advise. Thank you

• Arvind_Gupta
    Arvind_Gupta
    58 Posts

Re: DB2 Schema based

‏2013-09-08T13:43:11Z  

Hi Geetha,

Please refer below link that list out the steps to view stored procedure script in Visual Studio after installing IBM DB2 Visual Studio add-ins.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v10r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.swg.vs.addins.doc%2Fhtml%2Fibmdevtsk-EditingSourceCode.htm

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v10r1/topic/com.ibm.swg.vs.addins.doc/html/ibmdevtsk-ReviewingUpdatingScripts.htm

Thanks,

Arvind

• GeethaR
    GeethaR
    3 Posts

‏2013-09-09T15:27:09Z  

Hi Geetha,

Please refer below link that list out the steps to view stored procedure script in Visual Studio after installing IBM DB2 Visual Studio add-ins.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v10r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.swg.vs.addins.doc%2Fhtml%2Fibmdevtsk-EditingSourceCode.htm

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v10r1/topic/com.ibm.swg.vs.addins.doc/html/ibmdevtsk-ReviewingUpdatingScripts.htm

Thanks,

Arvind

Arvind,

Thank you for your reply. Links are working in another system.

One more question is that if a stored proc is created as a Package in Mainframe (Component Type: SPQ), may be because of that it is not viewable/editable in VS or any Data studio editor? Because I can see the list of stored procs, but can't open with editor and do not see any text at all. When I did 'Show Script' it showed only 'Grant Execute to Schema.Stored proc name' line only, not the sql statements (CREATE Procedure/ALTER etc).

Does anything else (kind of DE compilation) need to be done to view/edit stored proc files in Data Studio or VS? I need to just do everything in Visual studio or Data studio instead of Mainframe.

I'd appreciate all your help. Thank you.

Updated on 2013-09-10T00:10:55Z at 2013-09-10T00:10:55Z by GeethaR
  • Arvind_Gupta
    Arvind_Gupta
    58 Posts

‏2013-09-11T16:38:15Z  
    • GeethaR
    • ‏2013-09-09T15:27:09Z

Arvind,

Thank you for your reply. Links are working in another system.

One more question is that if a stored proc is created as a Package in Mainframe (Component Type: SPQ), may be because of that it is not viewable/editable in VS or any Data studio editor? Because I can see the list of stored procs, but can't open with editor and do not see any text at all. When I did 'Show Script' it showed only 'Grant Execute to Schema.Stored proc name' line only, not the sql statements (CREATE Procedure/ALTER etc).

Does anything else (kind of DE compilation) need to be done to view/edit stored proc files in Data Studio or VS? I need to just do everything in Visual studio or Data studio instead of Mainframe.

I'd appreciate all your help. Thank you.

Hi Geetha,

Would you please provide information about the stored procedures types native or external and if it is external, in which language they are developed?

Thanks,

Arvind

• GeethaR
    GeethaR
    3 Posts

‏2013-09-11T22:57:26Z  

Hi Geetha,

Would you please provide information about the stored procedures types native or external and if it is external, in which language they are developed?

Thanks,

Arvind

Arvind, Thanks again for your continuing assistance.

Stored procs are native SQL. But few of them created in Mainframe as a Package component (Through ChangeMan). Component type is SPQ (extension).

I tried transferring a Stored proc from Mainframe and tried to import in Data Studio V4. Datat Studio accepts only the following extensions: sql, db2, clp..etc....I renamed stored proc as SQL, still can't import to view/edit in Data Studio. It seems I've only one option to use Mainframe to edit/deploy stored proc? I tried Data source from VS 2010 and there also the same case, I see the list of stored procs, but can't view/update it in editor. I really need to work it out (edit, view, deploy SPs) either through Data Studio or VS 2010.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you very much.