Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-05-30T18:54:16Z by alanmoon
marcos_q
marcos_q
8 Posts

Pinned topic RHEL on a Power 795 LPAR

‏2014-05-28T21:37:31Z |

One of our local Cable providers wanted to try RHEL on a Power 795 LPAR. The idea was to perform a proof on concept to run Linux workloads using Power IFL. But when our BP went for the Linux Distro they didn't like the word "beta" next to version 6 for RHEL and stopped the POC. See attached file for screen capture.

Any suggestions?

What should we say to the client?

Is there an alternative?

Are they looking for the Distro in the wrong place?

Thanks & Regards

• wrt
    wrt
    8 Posts

Re: RHEL on a Power 795 LPAR

‏2014-05-29T05:04:42Z  

Hi marcos_q, 

you are at the right place, all you need to do is click on  parent link " Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (v. 6 for IBM POWER) "  (https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/software/channel/downloads/Download.do?cid=10417) which will take you to GA version, instead of clicking on "+" and getting confused for beta/snapshot show up.

if you see, even other arch show up beta links when you click on respective "+" 

Thanks & regards,

• JayFurmanek
    JayFurmanek
    103 Posts

‏2014-05-29T19:25:42Z  
    • wrt
    • ‏2014-05-29T05:04:42Z

Hi marcos_q, 

you are at the right place, all you need to do is click on  parent link " Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (v. 6 for IBM POWER) "  (https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/software/channel/downloads/Download.do?cid=10417) which will take you to GA version, instead of clicking on "+" and getting confused for beta/snapshot show up.

Thanks & regards,

Yeah that download site is unnecessarily confusing. They are not the first ones to think only the beta is there.

Also, they only need the main DVD, they do *not* need the boot.iso.

• marcos_q
    marcos_q
    8 Posts

‏2014-05-29T21:08:16Z  
    • wrt
    • ‏2014-05-29T05:04:42Z

Hi marcos_q, 

Thanks & regards,

wrt, I'm blushing right now! :-)

Since I don't have an user ID to access the RH SW site I could not double check this BP's sayings.

I've shared your answer with them and will come back to you to formally accept it.

Thanks!

• alanmoon
    alanmoon
    2 Posts

‏2014-05-30T18:54:16Z  
    • marcos_q
    • ‏2014-05-29T21:08:16Z

wrt, I'm blushing right now! :-)

Since I don't have an user ID to access the RH SW site I could not double check this BP's sayings.

I've shared your answer with them and will come back to you to formally accept it.

Thanks!

That link is what I have used in the past, but it appears to be down right now.  You can contact a Red Hat sales person and they can get you access to the software.

Alan