Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-23T21:19:34Z by kolban
RajarshiSadhya
RajarshiSadhya
3 Posts

Pinned topic Updating searchable business data

‏2013-10-22T21:32:11Z |

I have a small business process with a complex variable attached to it. I have exposed some of the data available as searchable business data. I am using a human service to search those business data and showing on a coach using TWSearch API. Now, I want to update those business data externally (say from a service) so that when I run the Human Service again it should reflect the changed data. Do anybody have any idea on how to do that?

Thanks

Raj

• kolban
    kolban
    3316 Posts

Re: Updating searchable business data

‏2013-10-23T03:56:25Z  

Raj,

Imagine a process have a variable.  An instance of that process now has an instance of that variable.  If the variable is flagged as "searchable" what that means is that the name and value of the variable can be retrieved and/or used as a search condition when listing processes.   This variable is commonly termed "business data".  Why is it called "business data" and not simply a process variable flagged as searchable?  Who knows ... some marketing speak me thinks :-)

When you say that you want to "update the business data" ... what I translate that to mean is "I want to update the value of a variable within an instance of a process".

Am I understanding correctly?

Neil

• RajarshiSadhya
    RajarshiSadhya
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-23T13:40:45Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2013-10-23T03:56:25Z

Raj,

Imagine a process have a variable.  An instance of that process now has an instance of that variable.  If the variable is flagged as "searchable" what that means is that the name and value of the variable can be retrieved and/or used as a search condition when listing processes.   This variable is commonly termed "business data".  Why is it called "business data" and not simply a process variable flagged as searchable?  Who knows ... some marketing speak me thinks :-)

When you say that you want to "update the business data" ... what I translate that to mean is "I want to update the value of a variable within an instance of a process".

Am I understanding correctly?

Neil

Hi Neil,

I guess you are undestanding correctly. Let me still explain the scenario in detail.

Say, I have a process with an Activity A which takes a complex variable (e.g account) as an input and the same as an output. The Activity A is a Human Service with the help of which we can update some variables of that particular "account" variable. This "account" variable has some of its parameter as "searchable business data".

I have a separate human service which shows this searchable business data on a coach using TWSearch API. Now if I run this service before and after Acivity A is performed in my business process the coach will show different values because I am updating those data through Activity A.

My question is whether I can update those business data externally, not by the activity within the process but from some external service like a REST API etc.

Thanks

Raj

• kolban
    kolban
    3316 Posts

‏2013-10-23T21:19:34Z  

Hi Neil,

I guess you are undestanding correctly. Let me still explain the scenario in detail.

Say, I have a process with an Activity A which takes a complex variable (e.g account) as an input and the same as an output. The Activity A is a Human Service with the help of which we can update some variables of that particular "account" variable. This "account" variable has some of its parameter as "searchable business data".

I have a separate human service which shows this searchable business data on a coach using TWSearch API. Now if I run this service before and after Acivity A is performed in my business process the coach will show different values because I am updating those data through Activity A.

My question is whether I can update those business data externally, not by the activity within the process but from some external service like a REST API etc.

Thanks

Raj

Raj,

A couple of thoughts come to mind.  There is a REST API that can be used to get/set the variables in a task ... see:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/dmndhelp/v8r5m0/topic/com.ibm.wbpm.ref.doc/rest/bpmrest/rest_bpm_wle_v1_task_taskid.htm

Another idea would be that the data contained in the task is a Shared Business Object.  This should mean that if another process or service modified the Shared Business Object, changes to it made elsewhere should be seen within the task.

Neil