• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-30T10:01:18Z by Needaf1x
Needaf1x
Needaf1x
193 Posts

Pinned topic Empty &parameters an issue following Hot Fix 9

‏2013-07-25T14:22:59Z |

Hi,

We recently applied Hot Fix 9 to our 1.1.2 development install.  Immediately after, all our reports started prompting for all un-provided parameters.

All of our reports have been developed the same way:  A HTML screen created using Composer which calls a simple fex, passing many &variables (some supplied and some not) to a stored procedure.   

For example a report may offer many selections (up to 80 in some cases!); Order Number/s, Customer Number/s, Product Number/s, Order Date, Invoice Date etc etc.  The stored procedure would then build an SQL statement based on which parameters had been provided.

Our reports designed in this way have been in use for over 3 years and have been run in total more than 500k times, across multiple WebQuery environments at 1.1.1 and 1.1.2.  They have not once prompted for parameters, unless we have made a mistake in the HTML design and had an Unresolved Parameter in the 'Parameters' tab within Composer.    The reports only started prompting immediately after applying Hot Fix 9.  

We opened a PMR with IBM (93917,001,866) who initially said this was 'expected behaviour', yet this certainly had not been the case as we have been heavy users of Web Query for a long time, from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 and this had never happened.

The final response from IBI was:

"This is working as design and is the behaviour as IBI expects going forward.  Programming made a change in behaviour which has caused this.  It used to be that if you did not enter a value, IBI sent up a blank, and IBI changed the behaviour to not assume blanks are wanted now.   This current behaviour will remain unchanged. You need to change your reports to include this behaviour"

Therefore it now seems we have no choice but to edit 200+ reports, adding code to supply a blank default for every parameter, eg;

-DEFAULT &ABC= '';

-DEFAULT &DEF= '';

-DEFAULT &GHI= '';

I wanted to raise this to see if any others have experienced this problem or if others out there have Stored Procedures that are designed to accept blank variables and in which case to forewarn you of the issue.

I would also like to here IBM's view on this. 

Thanks

Mark

Updated on 2013-07-25T14:53:13Z at 2013-07-25T14:53:13Z by Needaf1x
  • GeneCobb
    GeneCobb
    371 Posts

Re: Empty &parameters an issue following Hot Fix 9

‏2013-07-25T17:28:28Z  

Hi Mark - we had a rather lengthy discussion about this during our development interlock call today. Bottom line is that is was a bug that many WebFOCUS customers had been complaining about and it was fixed. Unfortunately the fix broke your working code. We are looking at some options for you. One would be to send you the older version of the javascript code - this would be a temporary solution though as it would cause maintenance issues for everyone involved.

I am not sure I like the option of manually editing the FEX's either. This may disable InfoAssist as the tool does not currently support the specification of default values. More testing is needed here to verify this.

In any case, both IBM and IBI are continuing to look at this to see what the best possible solution is for you going forward. I will post here when more is known. Thanks.

• Needaf1x
    Needaf1x
    193 Posts

‏2013-07-25T20:16:37Z  
    • GeneCobb
    • ‏2013-07-25T17:28:28Z

Hi Mark - we had a rather lengthy discussion about this during our development interlock call today. Bottom line is that is was a bug that many WebFOCUS customers had been complaining about and it was fixed. Unfortunately the fix broke your working code. We are looking at some options for you. One would be to send you the older version of the javascript code - this would be a temporary solution though as it would cause maintenance issues for everyone involved.

I am not sure I like the option of manually editing the FEX's either. This may disable InfoAssist as the tool does not currently support the specification of default values. More testing is needed here to verify this.

In any case, both IBM and IBI are continuing to look at this to see what the best possible solution is for you going forward. I will post here when more is known. Thanks.

Hi Gene,

Great, thanks for the prompt reply.  Its' good to know that it is being looked at by both parties and that it is not a 'tough luck' situation which it had started to feel like.

Cheers

Mark

• GeneCobb
    GeneCobb
    371 Posts

‏2013-07-29T17:48:25Z  
    • Needaf1x
    • ‏2013-07-25T20:16:37Z

Hi Gene,

Great, thanks for the prompt reply.  Its' good to know that it is being looked at by both parties and that it is not a 'tough luck' situation which it had started to feel like.

Cheers

Mark

Mark - One of the developers has an idea for a "compromise work-around" - it involves setting up global default values for specific parameter names. Those parms would then not be prompted for. IBM support should be contacting you soon with the details on how to implement.

Hope this is good news for you!

• Needaf1x
    Needaf1x
    193 Posts

‏2013-07-30T10:01:18Z  
    • GeneCobb
    • ‏2013-07-29T17:48:25Z

Mark - One of the developers has an idea for a "compromise work-around" - it involves setting up global default values for specific parameter names. Those parms would then not be prompted for. IBM support should be contacting you soon with the details on how to implement.

Hope this is good news for you!

Hi Gene,

Great, we will eagerly await contact to see how this could work.   Hopefully it will be manageable as it would certainly be a long list of parameters!  Although we do try to maintain naming standards, so the parameter for Order Number or Customer Number will be the same in all reports, so this should hopefully reduce repetition.

We are entering holiday season here, so any response may be initially delayed.

Cheers

Mark