4 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-08-26T08:56:16Z by franzw
KarthickJr.
KarthickJr.
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Hostname/IP changes changes for all the ISIM Components

‏2014-08-25T13:21:42Z |

Hello All,

We have ISIM cluster environment running on the virtual servers. We are planning to clone all the ISIM component servers to setup a test environment. After cloning, there will be a relica of production environment. Just  hostname/IP address changes are required to be done for each components(DB2, TDS, WAS, ISIM, IHS and TDI) to make it a separate environment 

I am aware about hostname changes for DB2 and TDS. Could you please guide me about changing the hostname and IP for other components? Also, please highlight the risk involved in this and how to mitigate it. 

Thanks,

• yn2000
    yn2000
    1075 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Hostname/IP changes changes for all the ISIM Components

‏2014-08-25T13:53:55Z  in response to KarthickJr.

WAS host name change is worse than DB2/TDS hostname changes, because usually if you don't plan ahead the name of the node is based on the hostname. I am not saying it is impossible, but if I were you, I would avoid choosing this avenue. IMO, reinstalling a fresh ISIM and migrate the configuration is easier than changing a hostname. In fact, you must test the migration process itself, right? Because, one way or another, you must migrate other configuration setting from TEST to PROD again, right?

Rgds. YN.

• KarthickJr.
      KarthickJr.
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-08-25T16:32:57Z  in response to yn2000

Thanks for your quick response, YN.

For us, it is gonna be a new test clustered environment and does not require a detailed planning or testing. Still, our estimation for this task is 10 days including unit level testing. I feel it's a time taking process to begin fresh installation of all the components and setting up the environment so we have decided to just clone the virtual servers from Production environment. This is not from TEST to PROD but it is other way.

Would you be so kind as to give me an idea or a reference on changing the host name and IP for WAS? I think these values can be easily changed for ISIM thru WAS console. 

Appreciate your helps!

Thanks,

• yn2000
        yn2000
        1075 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-08-25T17:43:24Z  in response to KarthickJr.

IP change is different. You can change IP any time, but not hostname change. To clarify, please check the file structure of WAS. The hostname is part of the folder. That means that you need to remove and recreate the node to make it work, where reinstalling brand new WAS is faster. There are some tricks, like playing with hosts file, but that is dangerous game. So, if you can avoid changing the hostname, please do so.

Rgds. YN.