Topic
  • 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-11-08T06:48:22Z by franzw
AdapterDeveloper
AdapterDeveloper
36 Posts

Pinned topic Result of Workflow Approval node activity in time out is showing SF Instead of ST

‏2013-11-01T05:32:43Z |

We have an approval node in one of my person's operation workflow. We are calling this from one Life Cycle Rule. There should be three transition lines after approval node in workflow. One is for approval another is for rejection and the last one is for time out. In the flow of time out there is one modify and one suspension extension node. Requirement is if the request gets timed out user will be suspended.

For three transition lines I have used below conditions.

For Approval activity.resultSummary==activity. APPROVED

For rejection activity.resultSummary==activity. REJECTED

For Time out (activity.resultSummary==activity.TIMEOUT)||(activity.resultSummary==ST")

Approval and rejection are working fine.

Then I tried (activity.resultSummary==activity.TIMEOUT)||(activity.resultSummary=="ST")||( activity.resultSummary=="SF") in time out transition line

After that on time out request goes to modify and suspend extension.

Then I have printed result summary of the approval node using

Process.auditEvent(activity.resultSummary);

It printed SF not ST in case of time out.

It should print ST on time out not SF. Please help me .Is it any issue with itim architecher or am I doing any mistake?

But in case of time out request gets cancelled at the approval node it self without executing the modify and suspend extension.

Attached are the screen shot of Approval node and View Request of ITIM

Attachments

• franzw
    franzw
    390 Posts

Re: Result of Workflow Approval node activity in time out is showing SF Instead of ST

‏2013-11-01T06:53:15Z  

This is illogical - but it is documented : http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IZ13673 and there used to be a technote as well.

I believe the history behind this was that the bug was real - but the decision to live with it was taken because fixing it would upset those customers that had implemented a workaround.

Timeout may still occur - but that is a different story not connected to the escalation.

But if you had taken your time you would probably have found this yourself (hint - use Google) - I believe it has also been discussed here numerous times :-)

HTH

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

• AdapterDeveloper
    AdapterDeveloper
    36 Posts

Re: Result of Workflow Approval node activity in time out is showing SF Instead of ST

‏2013-11-01T11:06:02Z  
    • franzw
    • ‏2013-11-01T06:53:15Z

This is illogical - but it is documented : http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1IZ13673 and there used to be a technote as well.

I believe the history behind this was that the bug was real - but the decision to live with it was taken because fixing it would upset those customers that had implemented a workaround.

Timeout may still occur - but that is a different story not connected to the escalation.

But if you had taken your time you would probably have found this yourself (hint - use Google) - I believe it has also been discussed here numerous times :-)

HTH

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

Thank You Very much. Actually I had no idea about this bug.

Happy Diwali

Regards,

Dipanjan

• franzw
    franzw
    390 Posts

‏2013-11-01T11:33:36Z  

Thank You Very much. Actually I had no idea about this bug.

Happy Diwali

Regards,

Dipanjan

Now now - don't you dare to called it a bug - it is a feature :-)

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

Updated on 2013-11-01T11:38:54Z at 2013-11-01T11:38:54Z by franzw
  • TiborB
    TiborB
    19 Posts

‏2013-11-03T11:01:25Z  
    • franzw
    • ‏2013-11-01T06:53:15Z

HTH

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

Taking a look at ${ISIM_HOME}/data/workflow_systemprocess/workflow.dtd reveals one can define the following attributes on activities which alter their behaviour: SKIP_ESCALATION, SKIP_TIMEOUT, COMPLETE_ON_TIMEOUT. (There are other attributes as well but these 3 will be relevant for the current topic.)

This came to my attention 3 years ago when working with recertification policies. Just view the properties (workflow editor GUI) of a 'Packaged Approval' node and notice there are 2 additional checkboxes which are not present on normal approval nodes ('Skip Escalation' & 'No action when activity is overdue'). These checkboxes allow one to alter the behavior around timeouts. I startet investigating if the same behaviour could be configured for normal approvals as well...

I compared the workflow definitions and spotted those 3 attributes I referred to above, then checked the DTD which specifies the syntax of workflow definitions. Finally, I confirmed the behaviour is changed to match our project requirements after configuring these attributes on the approval node.

I still fail to understand why the additional checkboxes to configure these properties are exposed on the worfkloweditor GUI for a 'Packages Approval' and not exposed for a normal 'Approval', especially since XML attributes to configure the behaviour exist since 4.x times... carefully hand-editing workflows is not unheard of and the workflow engine will execute them as long as they are syntactically valid.

Hope this helps,

T

Updated on 2013-11-03T11:02:17Z at 2013-11-03T11:02:17Z by TiborB
  • franzw
    franzw
    390 Posts

‏2013-11-03T12:56:26Z  
    • TiborB
    • ‏2013-11-03T11:01:25Z

Taking a look at ${ISIM_HOME}/data/workflow_systemprocess/workflow.dtd reveals one can define the following attributes on activities which alter their behaviour: SKIP_ESCALATION, SKIP_TIMEOUT, COMPLETE_ON_TIMEOUT. (There are other attributes as well but these 3 will be relevant for the current topic.)

This came to my attention 3 years ago when working with recertification policies. Just view the properties (workflow editor GUI) of a 'Packaged Approval' node and notice there are 2 additional checkboxes which are not present on normal approval nodes ('Skip Escalation' & 'No action when activity is overdue'). These checkboxes allow one to alter the behavior around timeouts. I startet investigating if the same behaviour could be configured for normal approvals as well...

I compared the workflow definitions and spotted those 3 attributes I referred to above, then checked the DTD which specifies the syntax of workflow definitions. Finally, I confirmed the behaviour is changed to match our project requirements after configuring these attributes on the approval node.

I still fail to understand why the additional checkboxes to configure these properties are exposed on the worfkloweditor GUI for a 'Packages Approval' and not exposed for a normal 'Approval', especially since XML attributes to configure the behaviour exist since 4.x times... carefully hand-editing workflows is not unheard of and the workflow engine will execute them as long as they are syntactically valid.

Hope this helps,

T

Interesting.....

Seems to be improvements possible.

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

• AdapterDeveloper
    AdapterDeveloper
    36 Posts

‏2013-11-07T12:41:39Z  
    • franzw
    • ‏2013-11-03T12:56:26Z

Interesting.....

Seems to be improvements possible.

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

Hi I have got below data from property file. But I don't know how to use this.Please help me

<!ELEMENT ACTIVITY (IMPLEMENTATION_TYPE, TRANSITION_RESTRICTION?, PARAMETERS?, SIMULATION_DATA?, PARTICIPANT?, ESCALATION_PARTICIPANT?, SCRIPT?)>
    <!ATTLIST ACTIVITY
            ACTIVITYID ID #REQUIRED
            NAME CDATA #IMPLIED
            DESCRIPTION CDATA #IMPLIED
            LIMIT CDATA #IMPLIED
            RESTRICT_TO CDATA #IMPLIED
            TYPE (RFI | APPROVAL | PACKAGED_APPROVAL | WORKORDER | ASYNC_COMPLETION) #IMPLIED
            PROCESS (SYNC | ASYNC) #IMPLIED
            POST_SCRIPT CDATA #IMPLIED
            PRIORITY (NORMAL | DEFERRED) #IMPLIED
            SKIP_ESCALATION (TRUE | FALSE) #IMPLIED
            SKIP_TIMEOUT (TRUE | FALSE) #IMPLIED
            COMPLETE_ON_TIMEOUT (TRUE | FALSE) #IMPLIED
    >

• franzw
    franzw
    390 Posts

‏2013-11-07T12:51:32Z  

Hi I have got below data from property file. But I don't know how to use this.Please help me

<!ELEMENT ACTIVITY (IMPLEMENTATION_TYPE, TRANSITION_RESTRICTION?, PARAMETERS?, SIMULATION_DATA?, PARTICIPANT?, ESCALATION_PARTICIPANT?, SCRIPT?)>
    <!ATTLIST ACTIVITY
            ACTIVITYID ID #REQUIRED
            NAME CDATA #IMPLIED
            DESCRIPTION CDATA #IMPLIED
            LIMIT CDATA #IMPLIED
            RESTRICT_TO CDATA #IMPLIED
            TYPE (RFI | APPROVAL | PACKAGED_APPROVAL | WORKORDER | ASYNC_COMPLETION) #IMPLIED
            PROCESS (SYNC | ASYNC) #IMPLIED
            POST_SCRIPT CDATA #IMPLIED
            PRIORITY (NORMAL | DEFERRED) #IMPLIED
            SKIP_ESCALATION (TRUE | FALSE) #IMPLIED
            SKIP_TIMEOUT (TRUE | FALSE) #IMPLIED
            COMPLETE_ON_TIMEOUT (TRUE | FALSE) #IMPLIED
    >

You don't....

If you are not understanding XML/DTDs and do not have a deep understanding of the workflow engine you should stick to the solution outlined in the technote mentioned earlier.

The information you see in the file are just a map of how ISIM internally represents an activity.

But if you want to learn you start poking around in the ldap after studying the schema reference...

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

• AdapterDeveloper
    AdapterDeveloper
    36 Posts

‏2013-11-08T03:54:00Z  
    • franzw
    • ‏2013-11-07T12:51:32Z

You don't....

If you are not understanding XML/DTDs and do not have a deep understanding of the workflow engine you should stick to the solution outlined in the technote mentioned earlier.

The information you see in the file are just a map of how ISIM internally represents an activity.

But if you want to learn you start poking around in the ldap after studying the schema reference...

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen

First of all I am not using ISIM .I am using ITIM 5.1 .Is Packaged approval visible in ITIM UI? 

• franzw
    franzw
    390 Posts

‏2013-11-08T06:48:22Z  

First of all I am not using ISIM .I am using ITIM 5.1 .Is Packaged approval visible in ITIM UI? 

In this respect there is no difference  between ITIM 5.1 and ISIM 6.0.

Why do you ask if it is visible ? Can you see it ?

I am trying to tell you that you are going into undocumented/unsupported part of the system - if you want hack around there it is fine for me (I have done this as you may expect) - but I am not going to help you doing this as it requires :

1. .A lot of time
    2. .A lot of knowledge about the internals of ITIM/ISIM
    3. .I may leak things that are considered IBM Confidential

You really have to understand that working on this level requires a lot of yourself - you cannot expect the community to do this for you.

I have given you some hints where to start that journey (poke around in the ldap and look to see have workflows are implemented - then you should be able to guess your next step).

A very important general principle in IT is KISS (Keep It Simple and Stupid) - I have given you the answer to solve your problem.

This will be the last words from me on this unless I see a relevant question.

Regards

Franz Wolfhagen