Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-10-08T23:52:14Z by PaulPhillabaum
jnichols91
jnichols91
4 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic TEM 9.0.777.0 Upgrade Fixlet

‏2013-09-18T16:23:51Z |

We are currently running TEM 9.0.649.0 and the fixlet upgrade offer for 9.0.777.0 recently appeared.

Normally, the "Updated Server Manager Components" will show 2 applicable computers: the server (all components) and my workstation (console).  However, the 9.0.777.0 update is only showing the server as applicable, not the console software on my own workstation (I did a refresh to verify).

I'm assuming something is wrong with the fixlet, since the console has needed to be updated with all previous upgrades.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

• MMcGough
    MMcGough
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: TEM 9.0.777.0 Upgrade Fixlet

‏2013-09-18T17:37:58Z  in response to jnichols91

If you look at the applicability relevance you will probably see what is ruling out that console system. Here are a few of the requirements per the applicability relevance for the 9.0.777.0 console (fixlet ID 1587):

Windows OS, Registration Server is already upgraded to 9.0.777.0, Not an eval client, BES Console doesn't already exist as a regapp on the target

In your case you can probably upgrade the server, then use the TEM Remove Utility to uninstall the console from your workstation - but YMMV so do go through the relevance for the console fixlet before taking my assumption as a prescription. In other words the fixlet isn't an upgrade, it is a fresh console install. Meaning there isn't technically anything wrong with the fixlet. It just isn't the fixlet you were expecting.

If you meant the other fixlet, the manual upgrade fixlet (ID 1594) then you may be experiencing something similar to the deployment I'm currently working on:

In my case I have an implementation with local SQL but the server is being treated as though it has a remote DB requiring manual install. The relevance that is causing the confusion in this case is 

not exists service "BESWebReportsServer" OR (if (windows of operating system) then (exists key "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\BESWebReportsServer" whose (value "ObjectName" of it = "LocalSystem") of registry) else (true))

The reason this implementation is false for that relevance is because it uses a local service account, but that account isn't "LocalSystem." At this moment it appears that because we despite having a local DB, SQL authentication drops us off in manual upgrade territory.

• MMcGough
      MMcGough
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-18T18:24:15Z  in response to MMcGough

I ended up just upgrading manually. Here are the steps I used to upgrade the server and console from. 9.0.649.0 to 9.0.777.0.

1. Updated the installation folders. I copied the existing installation folders, then ran the fixlet to update the Installation Generator. Then I manually removed the old Installation Generator and manually ran the new Installation Generator. This created a media set for me to perform the rest of the upgrade.

2. Backed up the local SQL DB. Made a note of the DB UID/PW credentials. Made a note of all the service account UID's and PW's.

3. Used the TEMRemove Utility to uninstall the Server and Console.

4. Installed the Server from the media set created in step 1.

5. Installed the Console from the media set created in step 1.

6. Went through a rudimentary test plan - checked all the services and logs, logged in to the console, sent a blank custom action to some clients.

The entire process from Step 1 through Step 6 took about 1/2 hour. I'm ready to go through a more formal test plan. 

• PaulPhillabaum
    PaulPhillabaum
    20 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-08T23:52:14Z  in response to jnichols91

This is what I see with 9.0.787 but I suspect 9.0.777 was doing the same thing. The 9.0.787 Server Components upgrade fixlet has a note:

It is recommended that you run this upgrade targeted to ALL COMPUTERS to allow the server to upgrade and then consoles to upgrade

And the relevance for the console portion includes a check that the Server is running 9.0.787.

Feels like a bad change to me. A few days after the release of the old style "Server and Console" fixlet, all your workstations with console would have checked in and show as applicable. Then you could make sure all those workstations were turned on so they could get updated before you proceed to the relays. 

Seems clunky to have to go over to the BES Component Versions" analysis to find out what the old fixlet more or less told you.