• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-08-31T18:04:02Z by thalapathi
thalapathi
thalapathi
127 Posts

Pinned topic Rebuild ClearCase server

‏2014-08-26T16:15:02Z |

Hi All,

As a part of Hardware refresh, We are planning to rebuild a new ClearCase server (Solaris) with the same ipaddress and firewall rules.

In our environment, we have a single server which serves as "VOB","View","Registry" and License Server.

Could anyone please tell me the precautions to take in Clearcase perspective to rebuild the server?

Cheers,
Jose

• RAHS
    RAHS
    63 Posts

Re: Rebuild ClearCase server

‏2014-08-27T08:59:59Z  

Hello Jose,

When you say Rebuild ClearCase Server, I believe you are going to Un-install & Re-install ClearCase. Right?

If that is the case, then you just need to backup critical ClearCase data before the Un-install to be on safer side.

Things to backup ---> http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/cchelp/v8m0r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.clearcase.cc_ms_install.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_backup_procedures.htm

If you are planning to change IP address / hostname / NIS, consider this ---> http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21125838

Thanks,
    Raghav

• brcowan
    brcowan
    733 Posts

‏2014-08-28T20:05:42Z  

If this server is a NEW server (hardware refresh) I would advise AGAINST the "forklift upgrade" approach. Often times, we get calls with these three statements:

1. The problem started after we upgraded ClearCase
    2. We upgraded ClearCase by replacing the server
    3. the original server is no longer available for comparison.

I would advise:

• Bring the new server up with a new host name and IP address
    • Ensure that your clients can access the server and create views and VOBs where appropriate.
    • Migrate registry server functions to the new server. (if you used a DNS alias as the registry server name, this is simple, if not, you need to use rgy_switchover)
    • Once that is straightened out, move VOBs and views incrementally.

If the old VOBs are Schema 53 or are Feature Level 1 or 2 VOBs, and you're updating to 7.1.x or later, a reformat and feature level change will be needed. Another reason for "incremental" moves.

• thalapathi
    thalapathi
    127 Posts

‏2014-08-31T18:04:02Z  
    • brcowan
    • ‏2014-08-28T20:05:42Z

If this server is a NEW server (hardware refresh) I would advise AGAINST the "forklift upgrade" approach. Often times, we get calls with these three statements:

1. The problem started after we upgraded ClearCase
    2. We upgraded ClearCase by replacing the server
    3. the original server is no longer available for comparison.

I would advise:

• Bring the new server up with a new host name and IP address
    • Ensure that your clients can access the server and create views and VOBs where appropriate.
    • Migrate registry server functions to the new server. (if you used a DNS alias as the registry server name, this is simple, if not, you need to use rgy_switchover)
    • Once that is straightened out, move VOBs and views incrementally.

If the old VOBs are Schema 53 or are Feature Level 1 or 2 VOBs, and you're updating to 7.1.x or later, a reformat and feature level change will be needed. Another reason for "incremental" moves.

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your replies. IP address and Hostname will be the same for the new server. Only hosid will get changed. We will be generating new license keys for the new hostid of the new server. Currently we are in CC/CQ 7.1.2.8 version

Implementation Plan:

1. Shutdown clearcase on the existing server

2. Move the filesystem (vobstore/viewstore and required home dirs to the new server)

3. Install CC/CQ server packages

4. Copy the /var/adm/rational and license files from the old to the new server

5. Create the required symlinks

6. Modify the license files with the new license keys

7. Startup the license server

8. Configure the clearcase and license manager startup jobs (We don't run CQweb (CM Server) on this site)

9. Startup clearcase

10. Test the Clearcase application (Mount the vobs and perform some checkout/checkins)

11. Enable the CC/CQ multisite syncs

12. Smoke test on CC/CQ application from a client machine.

Please let me know if anything I need to add to the list.

Cheers,

Jose