Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-09-16T16:50:03Z by benray
GTalento
GTalento
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Upgrade ClearCase from v7 to v8

‏2013-09-14T20:25:37Z |

I'm in the process to upgrade a client installation from Windows 2003 / CC v7 to a Windows 2008 / CC v8. The installation is pretty simple only one VOB. Client does not what to move whole history, only last four or five versions.

Was thinking to use clearexport / clearimport.

Any tips anyone would like to share?

• benray
    benray
    74 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Upgrade ClearCase from v7 to v8

‏2013-09-16T15:13:01Z  in response to GTalento

Wouldn't it be easier to simply move the vob to the new server? Sure you can export a subset of versions if you like but moving the vob doesn't require any extra steps.

• GTalento
      GTalento
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-16T15:24:42Z  in response to benray

benray thanks for your reply.

I agree is simpler to move the whole VOB, but the client wants only to move part of the history, not everything.

I read that it is not a good practice to execute clearexport / clearimport in different architectures (32 bits / 64 bits). In this case the new server is 64 bits and old server is 32 bits. Any tips on that?

• benray
        benray
        74 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-16T16:50:03Z  in response to GTalento

I can't think of any reason bitness would be a problem for ClearCase. If you're looking at this note in the man page:

Guidelines for handling data

After you export data, do not move the data to another location before importing it.

It is not a good practice to move data between different operating systems or between operating systems with different architectures (for example, 32-bit and 64-bit Windows systems).

I think the point is that the _data_ may have problems after the move. For example if you port a 64-bit binary to a 32-bit host and try to execute it. If you're concerned about CC bitness, why not just make a new vob on the old host and export the data there before moving that one to the new host?