Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-08-21T16:13:45Z by george.baker
george.baker
george.baker
338 Posts

Pinned topic Headless Builds

‏2014-08-19T20:51:50Z |

Most customers are automating their builds using Maven or ANT.  I've discovered how to create an ANT build.xml file for a HATS application by doing a File -> Export -> Ant Buildfiles.  I can successfully run this via Run As - Ant Build.  

The big issue comes next.

When creating Web Services (a lot of them).  Having to manually go through the following process is tedious and error prone:

1. Create Integration Object
  2. Create Web Service Support Files
  3. Create Web Service

I want to be able to automate that entire process with a script.  The processes are there but they are not documented as to how they can be invoked via ANT.  Has anyone tried and been successful that would at least give me a hint as to where to look?

My next stop is to see if RBU will support this and make it any easier.

• george.baker
    george.baker
    338 Posts

Re: Headless Builds

‏2014-08-20T15:43:05Z  

I have looked at the build.xml that is produced within RAD.  It contains many references to WebSphere and HATS jar files; therefore, in order to create a headless build engine I must install a copy of WebSphere and HATS on the build machine in order to locate all the required files.  in order to install HATS I must also install a copy of RAD as it (or one of the other related SDPs) is required to install HATS.  The RAD installation takes a user license.

Did I get anything wrong in this scenario?  Any other way to do this?  

I looked at RBU, but HATS will not install with just RBU.

• tmparker
    tmparker
    534 Posts

‏2014-08-21T15:35:04Z  

I have looked at the build.xml that is produced within RAD.  It contains many references to WebSphere and HATS jar files; therefore, in order to create a headless build engine I must install a copy of WebSphere and HATS on the build machine in order to locate all the required files.  in order to install HATS I must also install a copy of RAD as it (or one of the other related SDPs) is required to install HATS.  The RAD installation takes a user license.

Did I get anything wrong in this scenario?  Any other way to do this?  

I looked at RBU, but HATS will not install with just RBU.

Why can't you get the jars you need and add them to the classpath on your build machine?

• george.baker
    george.baker
    338 Posts

‏2014-08-21T16:13:45Z  
    • tmparker
    • ‏2014-08-21T15:35:04Z

Why can't you get the jars you need and add them to the classpath on your build machine?

I suppose this could be a temporary solution, and I will look into this.  

The issue I have with this as a long term solution is with maintenance.  As products are upgraded keeping up with the copying is again a manual process.  The idea in Headless operations is to avoid manual steps which if forgotten can be disastrous.

How about the part of the original question regarding the ability to automate the creation of the IO, Web service support files and the Web Service.  I suspect if I look hard enough in RBU I can understand how to to create the Web service, but Creating the IO is HATS specific.