Topic
No replies
KimvandenBerg/Lialis
12 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Paperless meetings with iPad Goodreader and IBM Connections community files

‏2013-07-12T09:24:00Z |

"A meeting is a place where minutes are taken and hours are lost." Paperless meetings assist your organization in eliminating risk associated with printing proprietary, sensitive, and confidential information. A paperless meeting also eliminates paper and its related expenses whether you are a Presenter or a Participant.

Where you can use Virtual meetings even further reduces expenses related to travel and employee impacts. Everyone can make a difference. It's your decision to make that difference a positive one!

This guide describes how people can organize Paperless meetings with a mobile device like the iPad or an Android device, with IBM Connections and Lialis WebDAV. You will be instructed how to use top business apps like Goodreader or Notability with the files in IBM Connections Communities.

If you have an IBM Greenhouse account you can follow the steps below in hands on mode, else read on to understand the approach.

How to Hold a Paperless Meeting

Step 1. Determine who should attend the meeting
Step 2. Send invitations by adding names to an calendar invitation
Step 3. Check availability of attendees via your calendar tool
Step 4. Identify most appropriate meeting type
Step 5. Include "Paperless Meeting Message" in all meeting communications: "All meeting materials should be presented or distributed electronically… Do Not Print!"
Step 6. Add the meeting documents to a folder in an IBM Connections Community
Step 7. Instruct the attendees how to synchronize the meeting documents to their iPad with the Goodreader app
Step 8. During the meeting use Goodreader to annotate the meeting PDF files
Step 9. Sync the annotated meeting PDF files back to the IBM Connections Community
Step 10. Inform the attendees to sync IBM Connections Community to receive the annotated meeting PDF files for review

I can assume you know how to carry out the steps 1 to 5, so I will not go into these steps now. Lets move on with step 6.

6. Add the meeting documents to a folder in an IBM Connections Community

In this example I use IBM Connections on IBM Greenhouse. IBM Greenhouse is IBM's free Connections (test) environment. If you don't have an account you can sign up here.

Go to IBM Connections Homepage

Go to the communities

A community is a place where people can work together. People can share knowledge and documents.

You can start a new community (I'm an Owner) or use an existing one (I'm a Member, I'm Following or Public Communities)

In this example I will use the Lialis WebDAV Community to store the meeting files.

I will make a Library inside this community to store the meeting files. You need to be Owner to be able to this (there can be multiple owners for a community). Please choose Community Actions > Customize

Then press this button to add a Library

A new Library has ben created, in this example the library is called Library 2 because it's the second library. So let's adjust his library. Go back to the Community Overview and then choose

Let's modify the Community Library name to Meetings and give all people Editor rights.

Dont forget to invite people to this community.

During testing I noticed that communities with a space in the name gives problems, so let's call the community Meetings instead of Paperless meetings.

Save and go back to the Community overview, there you will see the Meetings Library

Now its time to add some folders and file to this Library

And add the meeting documents to a particular folder

In this example I will use one PDF file, obvious you might need more files for your meeting.

So all meeting documents are in the Community Library, now it's time to sync them to my iPad.

Step 7. Instruct the attendees how to synchronize the meeting documents to their iPad with the Goodreader app

Install the Goodreader on your iPad or iPhone. If you have an Android you can do the same with the app FolderSync, check out this post for more details

Press the add button to setup a connection to IBM Greenhouse

Choose WebDAV server

For the URL-address enter https://greenc.lialis.com for IBM Greenhouse Connections.
Enter your Greenhouse user name and password and press the save button.

This link will not work in the browser, you will see an error 500. It will only work in WebDAV apps like the Goodreader.

A server connection has been created.

Please press this connection to display the Connections files on the IBM Greenhouse server

Choose Communities to display them

Choose the Community, in this example I choose the Lialis WebDAV Community.
Now you can choose to download the complete Community or a particular folder.
In this example I press the

icon to display the content of the Lialis WebDAV Community.

Yes, there is the Meetings folder I need, so now press on Meetings once to select it.

Then press the sync button at the bottom of the screen.

Let's proceed.

Let's download the folder to the My Documents of the Goodreader.

Then press this button at the bottom of the screen.

I may set the sync parameters like this

Then I press the blue sync button

And the Goodreader will download all files to the iPad.

At the end I have this great green button I can press to sync the Goodreader with the IBM Connections Community Meetings to transfer updates.

You may sync all communities, a few communities, a few folders... its up to you. Goodreader will allow this.

Step 8. During the meeting use Goodreader to annotate the meeting PDF files

At the beginning of the meeting all participants must press this button to download the last minute updates to the iPad so we have all the final documents present.

The left pane of the Goodreader displays the local stored documents.

Let's open the first document and discuss the document details during this meeting.
I must take notes, so I will create an annotated copy of this PDF file and write the notes in this PDF file. I will press in the middle of the PDF file, then I will press this button on the left

Then I press on the PDF file in the Goodreader and I may choose to create an annotated copy.

Then I may add remarks to this PDF file

When you are ready annotating the PDF file you can go back to Goodreader main view (press in the middle of the screen in PDF viewer and press the left top corner button)

Then you will see the new annotated PDF file.

Step 9. Sync the annotated meeting PDF files back to the IBM Connections Community

You only have to press this sync button to send the annotated PDF file from the iPad to the Community

Step 10. Inform the attendees to sync IBM Connections Community to receive the annotated meeting PDF files for review

Inform you users to sync the iPad Goodreader with the Community as described in step 9.

Other apps
The Goodreader is a great app for downloading files to the iPad, but you might need a better app for annotating PDF files. The app Notability is such a app. This app supports WebDAV as well. In this guide I describe how to setup Notability with IBM Greenhouse.

There are more WebDAV enabled apps decribed here.

More on Lialis WebDAV
Its also possible to connect your employers IBM Connections or Lotus Quickr environment to the Lialis WebDAV Cloud server.

Or install Lialis WebDAV on a server on premises and hook it up to you IBM Connections or Lotus Quickr environment.

More product information can be found here.

Updated on 2013-07-12T11:01:30Z at 2013-07-12T11:01:30Z by KimvandenBerg/Lialis