Topic
  • 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-22T15:09:11Z by jcdelmo
gius
gius
3 Posts

Pinned topic how to manage versioning ( pgm changes) in RAA v6 ?

‏2013-10-21T09:41:37Z |

Let's suppose we have a cobol program already referenced in RAA database and this program is changed on mainframe .. The question is:  which is the best way to 'update' the informations related to this program  ?

I can imagine 2 alternatives (I'm referring to  RAA v6 for multiplatform)

1) To substitute the new source version into the containing windows directory and maually perform a "Collect Inventory" action for this program >>> ( in this case I'll loose any info related to the previous version of the program...)

2)  To put each version of this program in a different windows directory : for example I can start from the base version  c:/RAA_programs/cobol_base_version and then I should add c:/RAA_programs/cobol_version1 , version2 and so on )  >>> ( in this case the run unit should become in error)

So the question is: how to manage different version of the same program in RAA repository? Is this possible ? or not?

P.S. I've seen a discussion similar to this topic in this forum https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014726642&ps=25 . nevertheless I still  hope something is changed

Updated on 2013-10-21T11:27:01Z at 2013-10-21T11:27:01Z by gius
  • jcdelmo
    jcdelmo
    352 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: how to manage versioning ( pgm changes) in RAA v6 ?

‏2013-10-22T15:09:11Z  

RAA does not have built in support for versioning.   It was designed, and still architected, to keep the meta-data on one version of a source asset.

Some clients have used the SITE asset to separate 'versions' of the asset meta-data.   This is done by scanning the same container/file into a different SITE with the Inventory Wizard.

While this approach may work, there is no guarentee that future releases/fix packs will allow it to keep working.  (For example, when SYSPLEXs are supported -- collections of SITEs -- the SITE boundary may no longer support meta-data version.

Another reason for not using SITE as 'version' is every query would require the advanced search to allow showing results specific to a version.

A better approach may be to have separate RAA installations for each version --or-- file a Request For Enhancement (RFE) against RAA for versioning support.

• jcdelmo
    jcdelmo
    352 Posts

Re: how to manage versioning ( pgm changes) in RAA v6 ?

‏2013-10-22T15:09:11Z  

RAA does not have built in support for versioning.   It was designed, and still architected, to keep the meta-data on one version of a source asset.

Some clients have used the SITE asset to separate 'versions' of the asset meta-data.   This is done by scanning the same container/file into a different SITE with the Inventory Wizard.

While this approach may work, there is no guarentee that future releases/fix packs will allow it to keep working.  (For example, when SYSPLEXs are supported -- collections of SITEs -- the SITE boundary may no longer support meta-data version.

Another reason for not using SITE as 'version' is every query would require the advanced search to allow showing results specific to a version.

A better approach may be to have separate RAA installations for each version --or-- file a Request For Enhancement (RFE) against RAA for versioning support.