Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-08-06T21:05:11Z by fgarat
ppereira
ppereira
38 Posts

Pinned topic SAN boot fails intermittently

‏2013-06-04T16:18:58Z |

Hi; We are experiencing a problem booting some partitions (AIX 6.1 and 7.1) in a Power7 795 with dedicated FC adapters,
from an EMC Symmetrix DMX4 3500.   We have installed power path and followed all the procedures, so rootvg lives in a hdiskpower device.
The thing is that booting the partitions, sometimes they seem to loose the bootlist or cannot reach the boot devices from the bootlist and the boot fails with message "No operating system found", but if you boot to SMS menu and select de devces to boot or simply go to Select Boot Options ->  Configure Boot Device Order -> Display Current Setting, it shows the bootlist, you just exit SMS menu and the partition boots ok.
Any advise?

Thanks in advance.

Pablo.

• tomkiat
    tomkiat
    7 Posts

Re: SAN boot fails intermittently

‏2013-06-26T07:28:00Z  

I experienced this problem before on Symmetrix as well. we had to run through the quick guide on powerpath to rectfy. From memory when using hdiskpower as the boot disk make sure pprootdev tool is used to correctly tell PP about this. After that bosboot had to be run followed by a reboot.

• GlennBrown
    GlennBrown
    10 Posts

‏2013-07-29T20:56:01Z  

Typically what we do before rebooting systems here, we where on a DMX-4, we now are on a EMC Vplex with Vmax 40k behind i, is run pprootdev fix and then bosboot -ad on the valid boot device and ensure the boot order is right. Though with DMX we really didn't have many issues ever and so far same with vplex. We had problems with Clariion arrays though.

• fgarat
    fgarat
    1 Post

‏2013-08-06T21:05:11Z  

Typically what we do before rebooting systems here, we where on a DMX-4, we now are on a EMC Vplex with Vmax 40k behind i, is run pprootdev fix and then bosboot -ad on the valid boot device and ensure the boot order is right. Though with DMX we really didn't have many issues ever and so far same with vplex. We had problems with Clariion arrays though.

Hi, i work with Pablo on this. Sometimes we got "Cannot init link". I think is related to some configuration on the switch or on the physical layer.

Did you need any special configuration on the DMX-4 for SAN booting?, and if you use Cisco MDS, did you need any special configuration on the MDS.

Can someone gave us some guidance on how to debug this on the Power machine Firmware, the Cisco MDS and on the Symmetrix?.

Thanks

Facundo.-