Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-06-16T03:47:07Z by TerryYau
frisalde
frisalde
45 Posts

Pinned topic ISIM: separate system upgrade and data migration

‏2013-05-28T14:52:00Z |

Dear colleagues, we want to upgrade from TIM 5.0 to ISIM 6.0 using the separate system upgrade and data migration procedure.

Taking into consideration there is not available two machine, ie  the old and the new Application server (WAS) are installed in the same machine, the statement: "The OLD_ITIM_HOME location from the previous version of Tivoli Identity Manager is preserved when you copy the home directory. For example, if the OLD_ITIM_HOME directory was C:\itim51 (Windows) or /opt/IBM/itim51 (UNIX or Linux), copy the directory to the same path on the new server before you run the installation program." could not be agreed.

Are there anyone with experience to use different source and destination directories?. Of course, the requirement is to keep running both versions.

• goonitsupport
    goonitsupport
    99 Posts

Re: ISIM: separate system upgrade and data migration

‏2013-06-06T10:01:11Z  

Hacking is always possible but if you value your existing environment and don't want to upgrade it insitu find another machine.

Best regards

• TerryYau
    TerryYau
    24 Posts

‏2013-06-08T17:16:41Z  

If I understand your situation correctly, would this also imply that ITIM DB and LDAP will also need to be [shared between] / [serving] TIM and SIM at the same time?  I advice against going down this path as you'll likely experience stability and performance issues.

• frisalde
    frisalde
    45 Posts

‏2013-06-10T17:38:37Z  
    • TerryYau
    • ‏2013-06-08T17:16:41Z

If I understand your situation correctly, would this also imply that ITIM DB and LDAP will also need to be [shared between] / [serving] TIM and SIM at the same time?  I advice against going down this path as you'll likely experience stability and performance issues.

No, the only shared component is the data directory, anything else. It is due to the oldest WAS (v6.0) and the newest WAS (v7.0) is installed in the same machine.

There is no fear of failure, we'll try to define a procedure in TEST enviroment. From our point of view, it is just a n issue to change the reference in the data files.

I will you post.

• TerryYau
    TerryYau
    24 Posts

‏2013-06-10T17:45:07Z  
    • frisalde
    • ‏2013-06-10T17:38:37Z

No, the only shared component is the data directory, anything else. It is due to the oldest WAS (v6.0) and the newest WAS (v7.0) is installed in the same machine.

There is no fear of failure, we'll try to define a procedure in TEST enviroment. From our point of view, it is just a n issue to change the reference in the data files.

I will you post.

Have you also verified the adapters and service profiles compatibility for both TIM and SIM (on the adapter hosts)?  Or are you having a whole set of different adapter host system(s) so the new SIM will be pointers to those instead (and TIM will continue to point to the old adapter hosts)?

Updated on 2013-06-10T17:50:05Z at 2013-06-10T17:50:05Z by TerryYau
  • frisalde
    frisalde
    45 Posts

‏2013-06-15T16:56:41Z  
    • TerryYau
    • ‏2013-06-10T17:45:07Z

Have you also verified the adapters and service profiles compatibility for both TIM and SIM (on the adapter hosts)?  Or are you having a whole set of different adapter host system(s) so the new SIM will be pointers to those instead (and TIM will continue to point to the old adapter hosts)?

What do you mean by "verified the adapters and service profiles compatibility". As I see it, the compatibility of the oldest adapters in the new version it no dependence how the migration is going to do.

On the other hand, in my case, the server is the responsable for getting in contact with the adapter, ie, the adapter never starts a comunication to the server, so it is not needed changes on adapter side. Regarding the server side, it is needed to define new communication ports.

• TerryYau
    TerryYau
    24 Posts

‏2013-06-16T03:47:07Z  
    • frisalde
    • ‏2013-06-15T16:56:41Z

What do you mean by "verified the adapters and service profiles compatibility". As I see it, the compatibility of the oldest adapters in the new version it no dependence how the migration is going to do.

On the other hand, in my case, the server is the responsable for getting in contact with the adapter, ie, the adapter never starts a comunication to the server, so it is not needed changes on adapter side. Regarding the server side, it is needed to define new communication ports.

By that I mean "verified the adapters and service profiles compatibility WITH the server".

You're upgrading the server.  You are, at this point, doing this without upgrading the service profiles, without upgrading the adapters...and expecting / assuming that SIM 6 will have full functional backward compatibility support with service profiles that were designed for TIM 5.0.  This can potentially be an issue for, typically, at least one of two reasons.  One, will SIM be able to technically function with these profiles.  Two, will IBM provide support for this cross-version SIM environment.

For example (You likely have other adapters in use): TIM 5 AD adapter supports Windows Server 2003 as a managed resource.  SIM 6 AD adapter (64-bit) is supported on Windows Server 2003 (64bit) and up...and has to be installed on Windows Server 2008 64bit (note there's no 32-bit support).  But what if you need to manage a Windows Server 2003 32bit system?

TIM 5.0 AD adapter doc: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21292014&aid=66

SIM 6 AD adapter doc: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21599053&aid=38

Under such circumstance, one could try and see if the the 5.0 adapter will work on SIM 6.  It may work, it may not, it may partially work.  And this is something that you will need to take into account...and therefore test out.  Or, you could see if the SIM 6 AD adapter would work on Windows Server 2003...somehow.  Either way, you'll need to know if IBM would provide support to you in such a combination (if being supported is anything to be considered in your (production?) environment).

As an FYI: Adapters can sometimes communicate with TIM, aka, adapter based event notification.  You'll need to see if this feature has been utilised in your environment.

Updated on 2013-06-16T04:00:54Z at 2013-06-16T04:00:54Z by TerryYau