Topic
37 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-06-11T12:09:19Z by rbwright
VTerminal
VTerminal
39 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic ISA Memory Anayzer tool tune up

‏2013-06-24T22:46:05Z |

I would to determine the size of heap dump that can be analyezed with ISA 5 Beta3 Memory Analazer with default heap values.

How can i change the heap value of each tools in ISA 5 Beta3. Whats the defualt value used for Memory Analyzer.

Once i change these values, how to restart these ISA 5 to pick up my changes.

I do have a 6GB RAM on my system to suppor these tools.

Updated on 2013-11-05T16:42:04Z at 2013-11-05T16:42:04Z by VTerminal
  • rbwright
    rbwright
    203 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: ISA Memory Anayzer tool tune up

‏2013-06-25T17:05:27Z  in response to VTerminal

Hello Vasanth,

See my post (4th one from the top) in the following thread about changing the heap size for Memory Analyzer. Those suggestions are applicable to the other tools as well.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014935349&ps=25

Regards,

Russell

Updated on 2013-06-28T11:39:51Z at 2013-06-28T11:39:51Z by rbwright
    • VTerminal
      VTerminal
      39 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-26T19:35:13Z  in response to rbwright

Hello Russell,

I can see three diffrent versions for Memory Analyzer.

Whats the diffrence beteen Memory Analzer web version and Memory Analyzer Report version.

As far i can see Desktop version run's on my laptop and i can upload pbd files to it to diagonise those pbd files.

When i tried to log in to Web version i'm getting

" The server session timed out.

Please click here to restart the session."  Once i tried to restart the secession i'm getting the same result.

I'm trying to diagonise a 684 mb pbd file.

Updated on 2013-06-27T17:40:22Z at 2013-06-27T17:40:22Z by VTerminal
      • rbwright
        rbwright
        203 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-27T18:18:12Z  in response to VTerminal

Hello Vasanth,

Yes, you're correct that the desktop edition runs on your workstation as an Eclipse RCP.

The web edition is basically the desktop edition transformed into a web application that runs on the server. It's a fully interactive application just like the Eclipse RCP.

The report edition produces a static HTML report based on parameters you pass to it when you launch it. With the desktop and web editions you're operating on the heap dump in real time.

Has Memory Analyzer successfully parsed the heap dump before you see the session timeout? Have you been able to do any analysis? If you see that problem you can try stopping ISA and restarting it. Memory Analyzer Web Edition starts at the same time as ISA. If you find that this occurs frequently would you post another reply so we can take a closer look?

Regards,

Russell

• VTerminal
          VTerminal
          39 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-27T23:26:49Z  in response to rbwright

Hello Russell,

Thanks for your prompt response. I tried to use the web edition i'm still getting the same response.

The server session timed out.

Please click here to restart the session.

I can't sucessfully analyse the dump using this tool. Its getting timed out before analysing the dumps.

I have followed

1. Use the Web edition. Because it's running on the 64-bit Linux system the Memory Analyzer will run as a 64-bit application allowing it to analyze very large heap dumps assuming there's plenty of free memory. You can change the heap size settings by editing <ISA5_install_dir>/ToolBox/bin/start_mat.sh.

2. Use the Report edition. You can set the maximum heap size in the file <ISA5_install_dir>/ToolBox/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer/runmat.xml. Look for the jvmargs attribute on the <eclipseapplication> element.

My current setting of ISA XMX value is 2048m  on report and web version with the above two steps.

How can update the Destop version xmx vale to 2048 and start with that value.

When i start with the default value i get 18m ot 49m with a max of 248m.

• rbwright
            rbwright
            203 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-28T11:39:34Z  in response to VTerminal

Hello Vasanth,

See my post (4th one from the top) in the following thread about changing the heap size for Memory Analyzer Desktop Edition. It's described in option 3.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014935349&ps=25

Does the report edition of Memory Analyzer analyze the heap dump successfully? If not, would you check the t<timestamp>.log file in the directory where the report is written (i.e., the one that ends with "_ISA_PD") and tell me what errors you see?

I've asked the Memory Analyzer developers about the problems you're having running the web edition.

Regards,

Russell

• VTerminal
              VTerminal
              39 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-01T19:11:14Z  in response to rbwright

Hello Russell,

I tried to change the max heap value of Memomry Analyzer Desktop editoin and i i do can open up a heap dump of 668 mb with my max heap value of 2048 M.

At the end of pharsing i have been asked for 3 kinds of reporting Leak Suspects, Top Components and Component Report.

I have selected the option of Leak Suspects and its taking ever to run this report.

Its the same for Top Components too. Its taking longer time and the report is running from few hours.

When i tried to cancel the Top Components report i see cancel requested and its not getting cancelled from Navigation History.

I do see 9 index files with 2.15 gb when i diagose these dumps. These files gets cleaned up after i cose the .pdb files from memory analyzer.

Thank You,

Vasanth

• rbwright
                rbwright
                203 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-02T17:46:23Z  in response to VTerminal

Hello Vasanth,

It sounds like Memory Analyzer successfully parsed the heap dump, but that it's having problems generating reports. Are you able to use other Memory Analyzer features if you click the Cancel button on the dialog that asks which type of report you want to generate? For example:

• Can you display a histogram?
                • Can you open the dominator tree?
                • Can you perform actions from the context menu that appears when you right-click on an object (e.g., a pie chart, a row in the histogram)?
                • Can you successfully generate a Leak Suspects or Top Components report at some point after clicking Cancel on the dialog that opens after parsing completes?

The index files shouldn't be deleted when you close Memory Analyzer. If you open the tool against the same heap dump at a later time Memory Analyzer will use those so that it doesn't have to parse the heap dump again. What are the circumstances when you see those files deleted?

Some other questions where answers might help solve the problem:

• What OS and architecture are you using?
                • How much disk storage is available? (In an earlier post you said you had 6G of RAM, so that should be sufficient.)
                • Are you running the desktop edition of Memory Analyzer on the same system where ISA is running?
                • What type of heap dump are you analyzing (e.g., PHD, HPROF, etc.)?
                • What are the .pdb files you're referring to? Are you attempting to run Memory Analyzer against those?
                • Have you successfully run the Memory Analyzer Report Edition?

Regards,

Russell

• VTerminal
                  VTerminal
                  39 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-01T17:39:26Z  in response to rbwright

Hello Russell,

Thanks a lot for your help. I tried the new ISA 5 Beta installed on my windows server and i can run the desktop edition to look for leak suspects and i can tune the heap for Memory Analyser Desktop tool. For now i'm using PHD files to analyze dumps.

Now i'm trying to do a set up ISA on linux server and trying to make use of this tool to multiple users using

https://<Server>:10943/isa5 . Other users can use this url and see the tool form their local servers.

I can install ISA on Linux but when i tried to use the Memory Anayser Report editon its trying to open up a PMR folder and the control is getting lost.

Also i tried the Memory Analyzer web edition and its trying to open up a PMR folder too.

Run Memory Analyzer Web Edition [Web] (Version 1.2.0.201211291649) -> browse -> select a file and the control is not coming back.

When i tried to go for Tool Adminstration, its asking for username and password. Do we have a standard user name and password for Tool Adminstration.

• rbwright
                    rbwright
                    203 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-02T12:05:55Z  in response to VTerminal

Hi Vasanth,

It sounds like you're trying to launch the tools from the Tools tab without first selecting a case. Most activities in ISA are performed within the context of a case. That's where the files for analysis are stored. (One exception is launching desktop tools. Those run on your desktop, so they don't rely on finding files within a case.) Also, the PMR folder you see is a bug that we're aware of.

To run tools from the Tools tab, first select a case on the Files tab. Then go to the Tools tab and launch a tool. When you click the Browse button you should see the case number at the top of the tree of case files.

For the Tools Administration tab the ID and password are admin/admin.

Regards,

Russell

• VTerminal
                      VTerminal
                      39 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-04T19:13:06Z  in response to rbwright

Hello Russell,

Thanks for your valuable input about tools. I have created files and i'm trying to access those files using Reporting tools. So far i'm sucessful with java core dumps. However i have issues in analysing PHD's using Memory Analyzer report tool. I'm getting

Memory Analyzer completed in error. Return code is: 13.

Memory Analyzer version: 1.2.0.201208221220

I thought its a heap issue and i tried to fix the heap of Memory Analyzer in <Install_dir>/ToolBox/bin/start_mat' script.

MAT_JVM_MAXHEAP=2200M and  MAT_JVM_STARTHEAP=2200M I'm trying to analyze phd of 640mb. Even after changing these values i'm still getting the same error mentioned above.

Do we have a way to change the default location of cases > 0000. I don't want cases inside my ISA producat location.

Once i'm on Tools Adminstration with defualt credentails, i dont see any tools that are defined as the part of tools tab.

How can i change these defualt credentials.

Updated on 2013-10-04T19:22:46Z at 2013-10-04T19:22:46Z by VTerminal
                      • rbwright
                        rbwright
                        203 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-07T17:43:45Z  in response to VTerminal

Hello Vasanth,

I'll start with the questions at the end of your post and then talk about the problems you see running the Memory Analyzer report generator.

Location of cases

You can change the location of the cases directory by setting the filestore.root property in <ISA_install_dir>/isa.properties. There are comments in the properties file that explain how to do it as well as information in the release notes.

Administration credentials

When you install ISA 5 it's configured with a basic user registry. See the "Configuring IBM Support Assistant" section of the Help Center for details. If you installed ISA with the default ports, then you can get directly to that section with https://<hostname>:10943/help/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.isa.help.doc%2Fhtml%2Fconfigure%2Fauthentication.html

Configure JVM args for Memory Analyzer [Report]

If you have the Memory Analyzer [Report] tool installed then there's a file called mat.properties in <ISA_install_dir>/ToolBox/bin. Edit this file and set the value of the jvm.Xargs property to any values you want Memory Analyzer to use.

Memory Analyzer return code 13

Java return code 13 is fairly generic, so it's difficult to tell what might have caused the failure without checking the t<timestamp>.log files in the folder storing the results of a Memory Analyzer analysis. There might be clues there about why the failure occurred. For example, if you see an OutOfMemoryError exception then you probably need to increase the heap size.

640MB isn't an excessively large heap dump, so I'd expect Memory Analyzer to run successfully as long as there are sufficient resources to perform the analysis. If you suspect an OOM then try increasing the heap size by editing mat.properties.

Regards,

Russell

• VTerminal
                          VTerminal
                          39 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-07T22:19:16Z  in response to rbwright

Thanks Russell for your prompt response.

I have fixed the case location and credials.

Configure JVM args for Memory Analyzer [Report]

However for fixing the heap size. I didn't find a file  <ISA_install_dir>/ToolBox/bin/mat.properties

Under <ISA_install_dir>/ToolBox/bin we have couple of scripts start_mat.sh  stop_mat.sh.

I do can see the option to set

MAT_SSL_PORT=10912
                          MAT_JVM_MAXHEAP=2200M
                          MAT_JVM_STARTHEAP=2200M

I have changed these values. But still i'm facing the same issue.

Wehn i  tried to start the report version of memory analyzer  its going to the folder PMR. As you mentioned its a known issue, do we have a work around for this issue.

Configure JVM args for Memory Analyzer [Web]

I'm getting the error

Processing DTFJ Image form file /..mp.20120509.185641.13087.0002.phd

The server secession timed out.

Please click here to restart the scession.

When i tried to restart the secession i'm getting back to the same page.

Updated on 2013-10-07T22:28:48Z at 2013-10-07T22:28:48Z by VTerminal
                          • VTerminal
                            VTerminal
                            39 Posts
                            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-10T20:38:40Z  in response to VTerminal

Hello Russell,

I'm working on all 3 versions of Memory Analyzer.

General Settings:

ISA process running on Linux

/ISA5/_jvm/jre/bin/java -XX:MaxPermSize=2256m -Xms5152M -Xmx5512M -Xcompressedrefs -Disa.server.http.port=10911 -Disa.server.https.port=10943 -Disa.trace.specification=*=info -Disa.config.root=/ISA5/wlp/usr/servers/isa/apps/ISA5.ear -javaagent:/ISA5/wlp/lib/bootstrap-agent.jar -jar/ISA5/wlp/lib/ws-launch.jar isa -clean

/ISA5/_jvm/jre/bin/java -XX:MaxPermSize=2256m -Xms3512M -Xmx3512M -Dmat.server.https.port=10912 -javaagent:/ISA5/wlp/lib/bootstrap-agent.jar -jar /ISA5/wlp/lib/ws-launch.jar mat (For Web Edison)

Report Edison:

As i mentioned i'm trying to analyze 680mb phd. I'm getting an error

Memory Analyzer return code 13

Settings: <Install_dir>//ToolBox/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer/runmat.xml

Changed default value-Xms 512m to  -Xms 3512m

How can i check Report version is using 3512m

Errors:

JCL  - 20120713_01
                                 [java] Java Result: 1
                            BUILD FAILED
                            /ISA5/ToolBox/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer/runmat.xml:112: The following error occurred while executing this line:
                            /ISA5/ToolBox/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer/runmat.xml:124: The following error occurred while executing this line:
                            /ISA5/ToolBox/ISAToolsAntTasks/isatoolsanttasks.xml:31: The following error occurred while executing this line:
                            /ISA5/ToolBox/ISAToolsAntTasks/isatoolsanttasks.xml:36:/tmp/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer-t1011.010523.173626.d/eclipse/config not found.
                            Total time: 0 seconds
                            Command exited with non-zero status 1
                            real 0.61
                            user 1.11
                            sys 0.04

rc=1  

Web Edison: 

Settings: <Install_dir>/ToolBox/bin/start_mat'

MAT_JVM_MAXHEAP=3512M

MAT_JVM_STARTHEAP=3512M

Configure JVM args for Memory Analyzer [Web]

I'm getting the error

Updated on 2013-10-11T01:32:49Z at 2013-10-11T01:32:49Z by VTerminal
                            • rbwright
                              rbwright
                              203 Posts
                              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-18T16:59:35Z  in response to VTerminal

Hi Vasanth,

In my earlier response I said that the mat.properties file in ToolBox/bin applied to the Report edition of Memory Analyzer. It actually is for setting properties for the Web edition.

To set the heap size values for the Report edition, edit ToolBox/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer.xml. Then add JVM arguments in the <JavaLaunch> configuration. For example, to set a minimum heap size of 128MB and a maximum heap size of 2GB, edit the <JavaLaunch> configuration to look like this:

<JavaLaunch launcher="apache-ant" >
                                  <vmargs>-Xms128M</vmargs>
                                  <vmargs>-Xmx2048M</vmargs>
                                  <cmd>${LAUNCHER} -file ${INSTALL_DIR}/runmat.xml</cmd>
                              </JavaLaunch>

I need to investigate the "not found" problem in isatoolsanttasks.xml. I'll respond later with what I find.

There's a limitation in the web edition of Memory Analyzer that allows only one session per browser. If you attempt to have multiple sessions with Memory Analyzer Web Edition in the same browser then you'll see session timeouts occurring immediately. The default timeout is 30 minutes, so you should expect to see that message after 30 minutes of inactivity. Is it possible that you're attempting to have two sessions with Memory Analyzer Web Edition in the same browser?

Regards,

Russell

• VTerminal
                                VTerminal
                                39 Posts
                                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-18T21:07:48Z  in response to rbwright

Hello Russell,

Thank you for your response.

Report Version:

I have changed Xms from 512m to 1512m on

/ISA5/ToolBox/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer/runmat.xml

and /ISA5/ToolBox $ vi com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer.xml

Added Xms and Xmx valuses here

<vmargs>-Xms2048M</vmargs>

</JavaLaunch>

After doing these two changes i'm getting

org.eclipse.mat.api:suspects org.eclipse.mat.api:top_components com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer.was:wasanalysis  
                                     [java] JVMJ9GC020E -Xms too large for heap
                                     [java] JVMJ9VM015W Initialization error for library j9gc24(2): Failed to initialize
                                     [java] Could not create the Java virtual machine.

Looks like i can't change Xms value from 512m to 1512m

Why can't i cange this value to a larger heap. Do i need to set any other values for setting this value.

Web Version:

I have cleaned up the old files that been created for webversion and tried to rerun the memory analyzer its working. I  will check the bigger heap and let you know the resulsts soon.

• rbwright
                                  rbwright
                                  203 Posts
                                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-21T11:40:53Z  in response to VTerminal

Hi Vasanth,

It looks like the JVM might not be able to commit 2G of physical memory when it starts up, which is what it tries to do when Xms is set to 2048M. If it can't allocate that amount of memory then it will fail to start.

Try setting a smaller starting heap size (-Xms). The JVM will try to commit that amount of physical memory at the time it starts up. 128M or 256M might be better starting points. Don't set the Xmx value larger than about 70 to 75% of the physical capacity of the system. Even if Xmx is less that the maximum amount of physical memory, the heap might not be able to grow to that size if other processes are consuming large amounts of system memory.

You could start with a setting like this in ToolBox/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer.xml:

</JavaLaunch>

You could also try stopping some other processes on the system, including the web edition of Memory Analyzer if it's running, to make more memory available. If you see OutOfMemoryError exception in the logs then you can try increasing the maximum heap size (Xmx).

If the report edition still fails to start then we can take a look at the logs and some of the other settings.

Regards,

Russell

• VTerminal
                                    VTerminal
                                    39 Posts
                                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-21T20:10:16Z  in response to rbwright

Hello Russell,

I have fixed my sertting to Xms from 512m on

ToolBox/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer.xml:

</JavaLaunch>

Now i can start up the JVM or memory analyzer using Report version.

I have 22gb of physical memory available and i don't why it was causing issues before.

Now when i tried to add these .phd file sfrom ISA console, i see the file status is uploading even after uploading this file file to a specefic directory. I have chaged the defualt location of the files.

• rbwright
                                      rbwright
                                      203 Posts
                                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-22T11:24:14Z  in response to VTerminal

Hi Vasanth,

It sounds like you have both the report and web versions of Memory Analyzer running now. Are there other outstanding issues that need to be addressed in this thread?

Regards,

Russell

• VTerminal
                                        VTerminal
                                        39 Posts
                                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-22T18:41:53Z  in response to rbwright

Hello,

All i have stopped the web version of Memory Analyzer and trying work only on Report Version.  I have made the above changes and i uploaded the 270 mb and 18 mb  ,phd file by clicking add button in ISA console to add this file. After a wile i have rfresehd the folder in that location and i can see this file, how ever uplodaing sign was still running and the control is not back to add any more files. I can always drag and drop these items.

When i tried to analyze any of these files i get an error on html file.

Memory Analyzer completed in error. Return code is: 13

Attached the errors i have seen during 18 mb file. Also look at the attachment for detailed information abut this error.

java version "1.6.0"
                                        Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build pxa6460sr11-20120806_01(SR11))
                                        IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, JRE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 Linux amd64-64 jvmxa6460sr11-20120801_118201 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
                                        J9VM - 20120801_118201
                                        JIT  - r9_20120608_24176ifx1
                                        GC   - 20120516_AA)
                                        JCL  - 20120713_01
                                             [java] Java Result: 13
                                        real 43.64
                                        user 47.26
                                        sys 0.87

rc=0

Attachments

• VTerminal
                                          VTerminal
                                          39 Posts
                                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-28T16:56:30Z  in response to VTerminal

Do i need to update Java or install a differnt java and set it to ISA tools. How do you want me to proceed with Memory tool.

• rbwright
                                          rbwright
                                          203 Posts
                                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-31T10:10:08Z  in response to VTerminal

Hi Vasanth,

The log shows that the minimum heap size is set to 512, but that there is no maximum heap size set. If the vmargs in ToolBox/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer.xml as show above then the log should also show "-Xmx2048M" on the Java command line. This indicates that the updates to the XML file haven't been loaded into the ISA server. To reload the XML files open the Tools tab and then click the Refresh icon at the top right above the list of tools (see attachment) and try running the tool again. If the settings still don't appear in the log then try restarting the ISA server. If the updates still don't appear in the log, then attach your XML file to a post in this thread.

Regards,

Russell

• VTerminal
                                            VTerminal
                                            39 Posts
                                            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-31T17:35:02Z  in response to rbwright

Hello Russell,

We have the Xmx  setting on ToolBox/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer.xml

</JavaLaunch>       

Also its invoking runmat.xml, on that we have

jvmargs="-showversion -Xms512m -Xdump:system:events=systhrow,filter=java/lang/OutOfMemoryError,request=exclusive+prepwalk,range=1..1"/>

I added -Xmx2048m today.

jvmargs="-showversion -Xms512m -Xmx2048m  -Xdump:system:events=systhrow,filter=java/lang/OutOfMemoryError,request=exclusive+prepwalk,range=1..1"/>

When i tried to run Memory Analyzer Report version i can xms 128m and xmx 2048m gets loaded on err log(t1031.171258.231084-err) and xms512m and xmx2048m  gets loaded on t1031.171258.231084.

I'm attaching t1031.171258.231084-err,t1031.171258.231084, ToolBox/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer.xml and  ToolBox/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer/runmat.xml

I still see the same Java error

Memory Analyzer completed in error. Return code is: 13.

If you need any other information please do let me know.

• VTerminal
                                              VTerminal
                                              39 Posts
                                              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-05T16:43:20Z  in response to VTerminal

Hello Russell,

If you need any other informaiton please do let me know about Report version.

Web Edison: 

I'm getting the error

I tried to close the current secession in IE and cleaned up the files that are created when i'm opening the heap dump in a case. I'm still getting the same error in IE.

I opened up the same url in the google chrome and its working with out issues.

How can i change the defat secession time out value of 30min.

Updated on 2013-11-06T18:21:27Z at 2013-11-06T18:21:27Z by VTerminal
                                              • rbwright
                                                rbwright
                                                203 Posts
                                                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-07T17:28:11Z  in response to VTerminal

Hi Vasanth,

There is a known problem where you might see timeouts within just a few minutes if you have more than one session with Memory Analyzer Web Edition in the same browser. You can work around that problem by having just a single session in a browser. Does this describe the problem you're seeing?

You also mentioned that you don't have problems using Chrome. I haven't tested, but it's possible there could be a problem with the version of IE that you're using. I suggest using Chrome or Firefox if you continue seeing problems using IE.

Regards,

Russell

• VTerminal
                                                  VTerminal
                                                  39 Posts
                                                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-07T18:33:03Z  in response to rbwright

Hello Russell,

Looks like this has been happening with IE and when i tried to close all the web version of Memory Analyzer, closed all IE secessions,leaned up the temp IE files and moved all the files  thats created by web MA in the case to trash.When i tried to open the memory version of a particular .pbd file i'm getting timeout issue. Do we have a way not to use the defualt 30min timeout value.

• rbwright
                                                    rbwright
                                                    203 Posts
                                                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-07T19:53:30Z  in response to VTerminal

Hi Vasanth,

I haven't tried this, but you should be able to set the session timeout for Memory Analyzer Web Edition in its server.xml file.

The server.xml file is located in <isa_install_dir>/ISA5/wlp/usr/servers/mat/ .

Edit server.xml. Then add an httpSession element with the invalidationTimeout attribute set to the length of the timeout in seconds. The default is 1800.

<httpSession invalidationTimeout="1800" />

You should also be able to solve the problem of having two sessions with Memory Analyzer in the same browser by configuring URL rewriting on the httpSession. Here's how the httpSession would be configured for that:

<httpSession cookiesEnabled="false" urlRewritingEnabled="true" />

If you want to change the session timeout and configure URL rewriting, then configure httpSession as:

<httpSession cookiesEnabled="false" urlRewritingEnabled="true" invalidationTimeout="1800" />

where the value of invalidationTimeout is the number of seconds before a session times out.

Regards,

Russell

• VTerminal
                                                      VTerminal
                                                      39 Posts
                                                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-12T23:48:51Z  in response to rbwright

Hello Russell,

Thanks for your input. However redirection is happening but i couldn't see menu in the list.

Atleast the time out value works at this time.

Do i have a way to elimate the time out value.

Atleat let me konw what are the tmp files that needs to be cleaned for eliminating the secssion time out issue.

Attachments

Updated on 2013-11-14T17:59:43Z at 2013-11-14T17:59:43Z by VTerminal
                                                      • VTerminal
                                                        VTerminal
                                                        39 Posts
                                                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-18T19:02:03Z  in response to VTerminal

Hello Russell,

Could try to get the option for disabling time out value insted of redirection.That would fix all this issue.

• rbwright
                                              rbwright
                                              203 Posts
                                              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-07T17:21:10Z  in response to VTerminal

Hi Vasanth,

Except for return code 13 I don't see indications of problems in any of the logs you've provided. I believe that if the problem were OOM there would be a message in the logs stating that. Unfortunately return code 13 is fairly generic and doesn't offer much help on its own. I've asked our Java tools team to take a look at your posts and logs for their advice on how to continue.

Regards,

Russell

• This reply was deleted by RickyHolcomb 2013-11-07T21:25:28Z.
                                              • VTerminal
                                                VTerminal
                                                39 Posts
                                                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-12T23:49:55Z  in response to rbwright

Once we have the right team, lets try to look more in to this issue. However web version is working wiht out any java issues.

• VTerminal
                                                VTerminal
                                                39 Posts
                                                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-14T17:58:04Z  in response to rbwright

Hello Russell,

About return code 13, do you think i can enable log level form info to finest or all option to get more details in the log.

Could you check my java is compatablie to the ISA Memory Analyzer report tool.

when i checked which java i see /usr/bin/java  

/usr/bin/java -version
                                                java version "1.6.0_35"
                                                Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_35-b10)
                                                Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.10-b01, mixed mode)

Could you provide me the other statble java version that is compatable to this tool. If the above version is not compatable can i install a sperate java and point that java to this tool.

• rbwright
                                                  rbwright
                                                  203 Posts
                                                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-15T15:31:18Z  in response to VTerminal

Hi Vasanth,

Memory Analyzer uses the JRE and Eclipse runtime that's included with ISA 5, so installing a new JRE on your system won't affect the Report edition. However, the Desktop tools do use the JRE you have on the workstation when those tools run.

I'll follow up with the Java Tools team to see if they have ideas about the return code 13 in your setup.

Regards,

Russell

• VTerminal
                                                    VTerminal
                                                    39 Posts
                                                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-15T16:48:18Z  in response to rbwright

Thanks for your input. Do we have ways to dump more information to the log files about this issue.

• PeteRobbins
                                              PeteRobbins
                                              33 Posts
                                              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-15T16:53:18Z  in response to VTerminal

Hi, it looks from the logs that the initial parsing of the dump has taken place and the index files produced. Can you try running the analyzis but not asking for any reports to run. This should complete normally. Next can you re-run the analysis, which should use the index files produced by the first run, but ONLY select the Leak Suspects report.

Cheers,

Pete

javatool@uk.ibm.com

• VTerminal
                                                VTerminal
                                                39 Posts
                                                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-18T18:29:09Z  in response to PeteRobbins

Hello Pete,

I tried to run the memory analyzer report version with out  selecting any reports,i'm getting the following error.

Error: Unable to locate tools.jar. Expected to find it in /hosting/products/ISA5/_jvm/lib/tools.jar

cd /hosting/products/ISA5/_jvm. I can go until _jvm

There is no such jar file in this location lib/tools.jar

I tried to just create Leak suspect report.

I'm still missing the above tools.jar file, then the inex files are getting created and teh ecplise application failing at

[java] Subtask: Test 'Biggest Objects (Overview)' of section 'Top Consumers'

[java] [

[echo] Eclipse application finished with return code: 13

copyEclipseLog:

Whats the step suppose to continue after this step

[java] Subtask: Test 'Biggest Objects (Overview)' of section 'Top Consumers'

For sure this is nothing to with the memory size. All i'm trying to diagonise is a 18 mb phd file.

Attachments

Updated on 2013-11-18T18:58:53Z at 2013-11-18T18:58:53Z by VTerminal
                                                • VTerminal
                                                  VTerminal
                                                  39 Posts
                                                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-13T17:21:48Z  in response to VTerminal

Hello,

I'm facing issues with Web Memory Analyzer on Internet Explorer. When this tool is getting started it has missing radio buttons and icons. I have attached the version of IE and the missing icon's screen shot. I have tried cleaning IE history/cookies, cleaned up the work area for web MA. I did not have any luck with IE. Same url is working fine  and i can see icon's on Chrome and Fire Fox.

• This reply was deleted by VTerminal 2013-10-18T18:46:45Z.
  • rbwright
    rbwright
    203 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-06-11T12:09:19Z  in response to VTerminal

In IBM Support Assistant Team Server 5.0.1 you can easily configure the heap sizes for problem determination tools. See the following resources for details.