Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2015-06-11T19:05:56Z by andreasl
PSchmitt
PSchmitt
2 Posts

Pinned topic Informix 9.4 --- PLEASE HELP!

‏2015-06-11T15:21:57Z | 9.4 files informix log

We are upgrading to Informix 12.1 on a new server.  However, our old server is still on version 9.4, limping along.  We are getting a "Long transaction aborted" error.  I think there is a problem with the logical logs.  I just added one yesterday.  Could this be the problem?

• andreasl
    andreasl
    30 Posts

Re: Informix 9.4 --- PLEASE HELP!

‏2015-06-11T15:49:01Z  

Well, adding log. logs certainly would decrease the chances for hitting "long transaction aborted".

Are yo seeing this error during the upgrade process, i.e. under 12.10 already?

Or still in 9.40?  In this case this shouldn't per se hamper the upgrade.

Please attach online.log and describe situation in more detail.

Andreas

• PSchmitt
    PSchmitt
    2 Posts

‏2015-06-11T16:42:44Z  
    • andreasl
    • ‏2015-06-11T15:49:01Z

Well, adding log. logs certainly would decrease the chances for hitting "long transaction aborted".

Are yo seeing this error during the upgrade process, i.e. under 12.10 already?

Or still in 9.40?  In this case this shouldn't per se hamper the upgrade.

Please attach online.log and describe situation in more detail.

Andreas

Andreas,

First of all, thanks for the assistance, it is greatly appreciated.  We are actually doing the upgrade on a new server, this server is going away entirely after the cutoff.  So there shouldn't be an issue with versions.  I have attached the online9.log and onstat -l output for your review.  Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Patti

Attachments

• andreasl
    andreasl
    30 Posts

‏2015-06-11T19:05:56Z  
    • PSchmitt
    • ‏2015-06-11T16:42:44Z

Andreas,

First of all, thanks for the assistance, it is greatly appreciated.  We are actually doing the upgrade on a new server, this server is going away entirely after the cutoff.  So there shouldn't be an issue with versions.  I have attached the online9.log and onstat -l output for your review.  Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Patti

Hi Patti,

from the fact that the current log position didn't more much during the last couple of checkpoints before the long txn aborts I'd conclude these txns just were sitting there open and somebody hadn't closed them, so eventually they reached the configured (LTXHWM) limit and were killed by the system.  From the other fact that fast recovery then only took few seconds, I'd assume that at least the last two aborted txns hadn't done much during their life time.

Not a big thing if no user or application complains.

And probably nothing that would affect your upgrade.

Andreas