9 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-11-07T20:45:31Z by RickTShaw
yair_shaked
yair_shaked
4 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic redundant license server

‏2013-09-09T12:31:15Z |

when going over the license server help

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rational/v0r0m0/topic/com.ibm.rational.license.doc/topics/r_redundant_servers_win.html?resultof=%22%72%65%64%75%6e%64%61%6e%74%22%20%22%72%65%64%75%6e%64%22%20

i see that i need 3 license servers in order to have redundant , may i ask why i need 3 and not 2 ?

in addition i see that all servers need to be on the same subnet again why ?, (this means that if the network of this subnet in specific site is down no one around the globe can work , i have 4 sites )

• Shijesh Velayudhan
    Shijesh Velayudhan
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: redundant license server

‏2013-09-09T13:29:55Z  in response to yair_shaked

Hi Yair Shaked,

Thanks for registering and welcome to Rational Licensing forum.

Redundant servers are a set of 3 nodes designated to serve the same license file. The license file has 3 SERVER lines. lmgrd is started on all 3 nodes. One of the servers starts out as the master server and serves licenses. If the master goes down, another server takes over as master. Redundant servers require a quorum of 2 servers to be up, or no licenses are served.

All three servers must reside on the same subnet to ensure that they have reliable network communications. Also, the redundant server pool does not provide network fault tolerance.

Find White Paper link on High availability options for IBM Rational License Key Server below for your reference.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27036356&aid=1

• Ashok.Rao
    Ashok.Rao
    18 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-09T13:30:23Z  in response to yair_shaked

Hi Yair, 

Thanks for your post and we are glad to help you with any of the the queries related to Rational Licensing. 

I'll try answering your queries in points as per your ask :

* Redundant server needs 3 servers for the set up for the simple reason, if there is one server down, another 2 server will hold on to the quorum (which means server connection UP) and serve the license. In case of your query, if there is only 2 servers and 1 dummy server you name, if one server is down the whole point of setting up Redundant license server to manage disaster recovery situation, comes to question. So only 2 servers does not serve the whole purpose of redundant server set up, which is mainly set up in high intolerancy level for NOT Serving Rational Licenses. 

* We suggest and it is not mandatory, to have all servers on same subnet, as the 3 servers are to be reachable, communicable and needs to establish a quorum at any point to serve the licenses. In case, the communication to all 3 servers are possible on the network at any given point of time without delay in packets routing to each other, though all 3 servers on different subnets, you need not to consider this situation.

In order to answer more of your queries on the Redundant server, I would suggest you to go through the Redundant server whitepaper http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27036356&aid=1

Should you have further queries, please reply to this thread. 

• yair_shaked
      yair_shaked
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-09T16:50:30Z  in response to Ashok.Rao

* i'm sorry but i still do not get it , it's not that the license server perform as load balancer , in any given time i will have just one license server active and serve all clients , and if the primary server will crush , the secondry server will take his place (i will be inform of that and fix the primary server) ,from High availability concept this should be the same as using cluster while one server is active  the other one is in strand by mode, and the fail over should be automaticly  

Thanks

btw , the link is broken 

• Ashok.Rao
        Ashok.Rao
        18 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-10T11:02:13Z  in response to yair_shaked

Hi Yair, 

Thanks for the response. 

I am afraid if you have understood the functionality of redundant server working. 

* Redundant License server with 2 servers is as equal to a single server. One server goes down the whole redundant set up goes down. At any point a mandatory 2 servers are to be up to serve the licenses in redundant server set up. 

* Redundant server with 3 servers serves as a true redundant server set up. When Primary server goes down, secondary takes over and serve the license, where secondary server and tertiary server are to be mandatorily up. If there is a break down of 2 servers, redudant server functionality fails. Only 1 server up scenario does not serve the license. 

Link is fully functional and I've attached the whitepaper by downloading from the link given in my reply above for your reference. 

Updated on 2013-09-10T11:03:02Z at 2013-09-10T11:03:02Z by Ashok.Rao
    • RickTShaw
      RickTShaw
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-11-07T20:45:31Z  in response to Ashok.Rao

Is it possible to have 2 backup servers (for a total of 4 servers) in a redundant license server setup, i.e. a primary, a secondary, and two backups?

I have two sites and want to use a redundant license server setup to serve both sites for license sharing purposes. I also want to protect one site from total loss of the other site. Of course I would place the primary at one site and the secondary at the other, but whichever of those two sites I place the backup at becomes a single-point-of-failure site. If I could have two backups, one at each site, I would be totally protected.

• yair_shaked
    yair_shaked
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-11T06:38:54Z  in response to yair_shaked

i have another question , if i have 3 sites and each site have it's own license server , is there a way when i can direct the client to other site license server when all license in the current site are taken ? 

• Ashok.Rao
      Ashok.Rao
      18 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-11T11:21:57Z  in response to yair_shaked

Hi Yair, 

Thanks for the response. 

You may point to multiple license servers from the client license key administrator. Please follow this tech note http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21117710 to point to the license server on thhe license key admin. 

• yair_shaked
        yair_shaked
        4 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-11T11:29:58Z  in response to Ashok.Rao

the question is if i add 2 license servers (that hold the same license type like floating clearcase licenses)  to the client license key administrator , does the client know to obtain license from one of the servers while the server is unreachable  and vice verse? 

• Ashok.Rao
          Ashok.Rao
          18 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-11T12:11:15Z  in response to yair_shaked

Yes off course. Thats the functionality of license key admin.