IC SunsetThe developerWorks Connections platform will be sunset on December 31, 2019. On January 1, 2020, this forum will no longer be available. More details available on our FAQ.
Topic
  • 11 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2016-05-15T14:17:07Z by Ayush_tachyon
DJey
DJey
5 Posts

Pinned topic How to enable VFlow

‏2014-07-24T11:37:47Z |

Dear All,

We have planned to configure VFlow on our Qradar. Please give me information about VFLow.

Thanks

• JonathanPechtaIBM
    JonathanPechtaIBM
    12 Posts

Re: How to enable VFlow

‏2014-07-24T14:01:22Z  

deelasjohn,

VFlow (Virtual Flow) appliances installation is documented in the QRadar Installation Guide. here is also flow information in the QRadar Administration Guide.

If you have additional questions, you can feel free to ask in this post.

• DJey
    DJey
    5 Posts

‏2014-07-24T16:39:55Z  

deelasjohn,

VFlow (Virtual Flow) appliances installation is documented in the QRadar Installation Guide. here is also flow information in the QRadar Administration Guide.

If you have additional questions, you can feel free to ask in this post.

Dear Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply.

We have already 3100 All in one appliance. If i want to add vflow means what i need to do?

Please advice.

Thanks

• Aaron_Breen(IBM)
    Aaron_Breen(IBM)
    13 Posts

‏2014-07-25T15:07:58Z  
    • DJey
    • ‏2014-07-24T16:39:55Z

Dear Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply.

We have already 3100 All in one appliance. If i want to add vflow means what i need to do?

Please advice.

Thanks

You would need to purchase the Vflow package and receive the activation key associated with it. After which you can follow the guides Jonathan has demonstrated to install then add the Vflow to your existing deployment (3100)

• DJey
    DJey
    5 Posts

‏2014-07-25T15:35:34Z  

You would need to purchase the Vflow package and receive the activation key associated with it. After which you can follow the guides Jonathan has demonstrated to install then add the Vflow to your existing deployment (3100)

Dear Aaron,

what are the the features i will get from the vflow ? can you brief me about this. ?

we have enabled the netflow already.  we can go with netflow and vflow at the same time? or we need to remove the netflow after add the vflow?

what is the difference between netflow, qflow & vflow. ?

Please advice

Thanks

• Aaron_Breen(IBM)
    Aaron_Breen(IBM)
    13 Posts

‏2014-07-25T17:09:56Z  
    • DJey
    • ‏2014-07-25T15:35:34Z

Dear Aaron,

what are the the features i will get from the vflow ? can you brief me about this. ?

we have enabled the netflow already.  we can go with netflow and vflow at the same time? or we need to remove the netflow after add the vflow?

what is the difference between netflow, qflow & vflow. ?

Please advice

Thanks

- Netflow is port only and no content

- Qflow is layer 7

- Vflow is the same as a flow collector (netflow and qflow) but on virtual

Collecting netflow from the same switch that is on a span port with Qflow process is redundant and would increase license 

• milorad
    milorad
    1 Post

‏2014-07-30T12:41:42Z  

Hi,

I have a problem deploying VFlow.

I add Host in Deployment Editor, and i got qflow in deployment.

After this i got them in Flow sources.

I put span in eth1 and eth2. 

With tcpdump i can see trafic ont this ports.

I didn't got this trafic on QRadar.

Also, i cannot connect Qflow to Event Collector, this option is grayed. When i add connection and put arrow on Event collector this field remain blank

• RajaJahanzeb
    RajaJahanzeb
    15 Posts

‏2015-01-23T11:02:23Z  

Hi Aaron,

Do we use the same software package when installing VFlow collector as for SIEM console or QFlow collector with the only difference being of the activation key?

Can we install QFlow collector and place it in promiscuous mode as a Virtual Machine for layer7 monitoring in virtual environments ? We have tested this deployment and apparently it works fine.

• Ayush_tachyon
    Ayush_tachyon
    3 Posts

‏2016-05-09T11:13:45Z  

Hi Aaron,

Do we use the same software package when installing VFlow collector as for SIEM console or QFlow collector with the only difference being of the activation key?

Can we install QFlow collector and place it in promiscuous mode as a Virtual Machine for layer7 monitoring in virtual environments ? We have tested this deployment and apparently it works fine.

Hello,

I have the same question that Raja has asked. Do we use the same software package when installing VFlow collector as for SIEM console or QFlow collector with the only difference being of the activation key?

Is VFlow = QFlow on virtual infrastructure?

Raja,

I guess you may have aleardy finished that deployment. How did you do it?

Appreciate if anyone can please provide some answers. Thanks in advance!

• Mike Hardesty
    Mike Hardesty
    1 Post

‏2016-05-09T13:37:57Z  

Hello,

I have the same question that Raja has asked. Do we use the same software package when installing VFlow collector as for SIEM console or QFlow collector with the only difference being of the activation key?

Is VFlow = QFlow on virtual infrastructure?

Raja,

I guess you may have aleardy finished that deployment. How did you do it?

Appreciate if anyone can please provide some answers. Thanks in advance!

Yes it is the same. The activation key is what tells the installer what appliance you wish to make your install. I am currently using VFlow.

• AkhtarR
    AkhtarR
    1 Post

‏2016-05-09T19:27:20Z  

Yes it is the same. The activation key is what tells the installer what appliance you wish to make your install. I am currently using VFlow.

Hi Mike,

Can you point me to the right direction once the vflow is installed ? How do we get the port mirror from the virtual switch ? Do we have any guide for vflow export in VMWare environments ?

Regards,

Akhtar

• Ayush_tachyon
    Ayush_tachyon
    3 Posts

‏2016-05-15T14:17:07Z  

Thanks a ton Mike, your response makes it very clear!