Topic
11 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-07-11T17:45:58Z by CJane
CJane
CJane
41 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic improve quality of OLE object images in RPE output?

‏2013-06-03T14:46:49Z |

My teammates are dissastified with the graphic quality of tables and figures (particularly tables) in the RPE outputs I'm providing from DOORS modules and I wonder if there's anything I can do it improve it.  I'm thinking that the quality denigrates to a certain extent when an OLE object is pulled into DOORS and then maybe further denigrates thru the RPE process?

I start with a figure/table set in a Word document. I import the figure/table as an OLE object into DOORS module (either by the Insert > OLE object method or the Copy > Paste Special method). Then I run an RPE output from the DOORS module. If I start with a good quality image, the denigration is not that noticeable and is essentially acceptable to my team. The tables, however, are another story; the lines and text have a fuzziness to them that nobody's happy with.

Will appreciate any guidance you can offer!

• BillTidy
    BillTidy
    69 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: improve quality of OLE object images in RPE output?

‏2013-06-03T18:16:17Z  in response to CJane

Default RPE is to export as a static image. I forget which version of RPE gives the option to export in native format, eg Visio in the advanced tab on the last RPE export screen, and these are then merged into Word after export, giving no loss of image quality. Theoretically. I think it is available after RPE 1.1.2 but you can confirm with IBM support.

• CJane
      CJane
      41 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-03T19:32:49Z  in response to BillTidy

This is a big help . . . Thank you!!

• ChrisHardy68
      ChrisHardy68
      86 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-04T00:43:41Z  in response to BillTidy

Hi,

The option I think you are referring to is actually in the document spec file (. dsx)

See Runtime - Metadata - OLE's as static images = false

• Dragos.Cojocari
        Dragos.Cojocari
        1606 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-04T07:44:36Z  in response to ChrisHardy68

Bill is right the only addition I want to make is that we had that option available since TPE 1.0 ( if memory server me right).

• ChrisHardy68
          ChrisHardy68
          86 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-04T23:43:42Z  in response to Dragos.Cojocari

opps sorry my mistake, I completely missed the advanced properties!

Have added screen shots to clarify

Attachments

• CJane
            CJane
            41 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-05T16:40:32Z  in response to ChrisHardy68

Now that you've pointed me in the right direction - thank you x 10! - I've got a couple more questions. I think Dragos is saying that the capability to export images in their native format is available in RPE version 1.1.2. If that's the case, I think this capability is discussed on page 31 of the user manual 

• Dragos.Cojocari
              Dragos.Cojocari
              1606 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-10T18:26:11Z  in response to CJane

Just to confirm here, the export OLEs as OLE is available since TPE 1.0.

Regards,

Dragos

• sekrbo
        sekrbo
        1 Post
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-19T12:49:13Z  in response to ChrisHardy68

Since this is set in the document spec, that would mean that 1. This cannot be set to treat different types of OLE differently (would have to be decided in the template) and 2. Another limitation for using RRDG, as RRDG does not use the dsx file... :(

/sekrbo

• Dragos.Cojocari
          Dragos.Cojocari
          1606 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-19T13:16:56Z  in response to sekrbo

Hey sekrbo,

>>> 1. This cannot be set to treat different types of OLE differently (would have to be decided in the template)

This cannot be set at template level since the decission  ( using OLEs or not) affects how RPE pulls data from DOORS and that info is needed before any processing in the template occurs. One way to make this work at template level would be to always export OLEs but that would slow down the document generation.

>>> 2. Another limitation for using RRDG, as RRDG does not use the dsx file... :(

While this makes no difference from the user perspective I'd like to make one clarification here: the limitation is in the implementation of RRDG in DOORS, that is the UI you see when invoking the File->Export menu. In terms of capabilities the RRDG library used in in any product is identical to what you see in RPE but different products provide different capabilities in their reporting UIs.

Regards,

Dragos

• CJane
            CJane
            41 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-27T16:14:47Z  in response to Dragos.Cojocari

Thanks, Dragos, and others who joined in this discussion. I'm now successfully outputting the native graphic images into the Word outputs. It's a miracle!

Pages 62-63 of the RPE User Guide for release 1.1 address whether you output graphics as OLE objects or as originals (native format). I already have a post-RPE macro that updates all the fields, so that part is taken care of. If I understand correctly, I need the "insertOLEs" macro to ensure that the Word document remains self-contained as it travels from one user's computer to another. (This applies even if I've set the "OLEs as static images" to false, right?) Dragos, can you send me this macro? I've checked with the corporate office that handles the RPE license assigned to me and they either don't have or can't locate the macros provided w/ RPE.

• CJane
              CJane
              41 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-11T17:45:58Z  in response to CJane

Dragos, this Issue is completely resolved! Found the rpe macros right where you told me they would be on my C:drive. Incorporated the insertOLEs macro into my post-RPE macro and voila! the images look great and they are positioned correctly!