Topic
  • 11 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-04-11T02:54:45Z by tomliotta
davbrown2
davbrown2
3 Posts

Pinned topic Update repository for Data Studio 4.1

‏2013-11-06T02:15:22Z |

When I try to check for updates for Data Studio 4.1 in Installation Manager, I get an error that it couldn't connect to the repository:

http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/data/studio/foundation/410/updates

and this doesn't appear to exist anyway.

Does anyone know the correct URL (if there is one) for updates to DS4.1?

• chunnu
    chunnu
    1 Post

Re: Update repository for Data Studio 4.1

‏2013-11-06T03:32:44Z  

I hope that the following should provide some help.

Please keep the list posted about your installation. It shall be of great use to all.

The new release of DS 4.1 and IDA 9.1 included an updated set of JCC drivers.  Connecting to DB2 z/OS v10 with these drivers may fail with a -4499 or -1224 SQL code.  This has been identified as a server defect.  While it has been fixed already, it does require customers to apply a fix to their DB2 z/OS systems.  The fix is labeled PTF UK91146 and can be referenced via Hiper APAR 79161.  (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1PM79161).

Customers who have downloaded DS 4.1 have already encountered this problem.  To provide some guidance, we have written a tech note that describes the problem and solution so that customers are not confused when they can't connect to DB2 z/OS v10.  The tech note is located here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21641377.

• QiM
    QiM
    13 Posts

‏2013-11-19T04:13:16Z  

Data Studio 4.1 is the latest release for now, so there is no update for it until next release is published.

• David Adler
    David Adler
    3 Posts

‏2014-01-09T12:45:42Z  
    • QiM
    • ‏2013-11-19T04:13:16Z

Data Studio 4.1 is the latest release for now, so there is no update for it until next release is published.

The Data Studio page shows that 4.1.0.1 is available but the repository error shown above still occurs.

• QiM
    QiM
    13 Posts

‏2014-01-10T01:16:18Z  

The Data Studio page shows that 4.1.0.1 is available but the repository error shown above still occurs.

Could you upload the screenshot of the error?

• David Adler
    David Adler
    3 Posts

‏2014-01-10T11:58:36Z  
    • QiM
    • ‏2014-01-10T01:16:18Z

Could you upload the screenshot of the error?

I finally got Data Studio 4.1.0.1 installed but it was a bit painful.  The original failure with finding the repository no longer occurs.

I downloaded the Installation Manager 1.7 and installed this but the update of DS 4.1 still failed.

I downloaded the full DS 4.1.0.1 (1.5GB) and started the installation.  This time the Installation Manager allowed the upgrade selection and the installation was successful.

The Installation Manager in general has been more of a headache than a help.  There were similar problems a while back trying to upgrade to DS 4.1.

• QiM
    QiM
    13 Posts

‏2014-02-17T07:29:31Z  

I finally got Data Studio 4.1.0.1 installed but it was a bit painful.  The original failure with finding the repository no longer occurs.

I downloaded the Installation Manager 1.7 and installed this but the update of DS 4.1 still failed.

I downloaded the full DS 4.1.0.1 (1.5GB) and started the installation.  This time the Installation Manager allowed the upgrade selection and the installation was successful.

The Installation Manager in general has been more of a headache than a help.  There were similar problems a while back trying to upgrade to DS 4.1.

Hi David,

Did you use the IM installer from the Developer Works? The IM installer from Developer Works does not provide the update option to upgrade DS because of the web limitation. For now, only the full image can provide both install and update options.

• David Adler
    David Adler
    3 Posts

‏2014-02-17T15:04:46Z  
    • QiM
    • ‏2014-02-17T07:29:31Z

Hi David,

Did you use the IM installer from the Developer Works? The IM installer from Developer Works does not provide the update option to upgrade DS because of the web limitation. For now, only the full image can provide both install and update options.

Yes, I used the IM installer from Developer Works.  Are these limitations documented somewhere?  I've never found the IM to be very useful and more often causes problems rather than helping.

• bthurber
    bthurber
    1 Post

‏2014-04-01T13:37:51Z  

I'm getting this error as well. This problem not only impacts Data Studio users, but RAD 9 users - since the products are installed into the same place.  When RAD 9 is launched both RAD 9 and Data Studio show up n the splash screen as "complementary products" or some such. 

I want to install patches for RAD 9, but am not able to since it insists on contacting the missing Data Studio repo first. I have tried to "fake out" the Install Manager to ignore the repository by adding Disk1 to the repositories dialog in Install Managerbut so far no luck. It seems the only simple fix is for someone at IBM to put something at 

http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/data/studio/foundation/410/updates

...and/or...

http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/data/studio/foundation/410/extensions

...to make Install Manager happy.

Brad

Attachments

Updated on 2014-04-01T13:40:07Z at 2014-04-01T13:40:07Z by bthurber
  • tomliotta
    tomliotta
    7 Posts

‏2014-04-08T07:28:33Z  
    • bthurber
    • ‏2014-04-01T13:37:51Z

I'm getting this error as well. This problem not only impacts Data Studio users, but RAD 9 users - since the products are installed into the same place.  When RAD 9 is launched both RAD 9 and Data Studio show up n the splash screen as "complementary products" or some such. 

I want to install patches for RAD 9, but am not able to since it insists on contacting the missing Data Studio repo first. I have tried to "fake out" the Install Manager to ignore the repository by adding Disk1 to the repositories dialog in Install Managerbut so far no luck. It seems the only simple fix is for someone at IBM to put something at 

...and/or...

http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/data/studio/foundation/410/extensions

Brad

I hate to add "Me, too" posts; but if only one person says something, it's easier to lower the priority. So... Me, too! The repository problem is trouble.

And seriously, IM could be a very useful tool. Unfortunately, it too often seems to add unnecessarily to the difficulties. It should make updates of multiple products easier, but it seems too likely that different products manage to confuse IM. I'd really like to see it work more reliably and be more comprehensible.

Tom

• QiM
    QiM
    13 Posts

‏2014-04-08T08:40:43Z  
    • bthurber
    • ‏2014-04-01T13:37:51Z

...and/or...

Brad

Could you please try to uncheck the Search services repositories... checkbox in preferences and install the patch again? If this checkbox is unchecked, IM should not check the two default repositories anymore.

Attachments

• tomliotta
    tomliotta
    7 Posts

‏2014-04-11T02:54:45Z  
    • QiM
    • ‏2014-04-08T08:40:43Z

Could you please try to uncheck the Search services repositories... checkbox in preferences and install the patch again? If this checkbox is unchecked, IM should not check the two default repositories anymore.

Thanks for that. Now I just need to wait until an update exists to see what happens. Right now, I get a message telling me that no updates are found for installed packages and to select "Search services repositories..." and to try again. I think that I have all current updates for everything handled by IM, so I'm not troubled.

Tom