• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-02-03T15:56:34Z by Iainf
Rajeshavanthi
Rajeshavanthi
120 Posts

Pinned topic RPT: "Agent Not Ready" Status

‏2013-06-02T11:59:18Z |

Hi All

We recently encountered a strange behavior in the way RPT (v8.2 IFix001) workbench gets identified by the Agent machine. The following is the scenario:

1)  There are 2 Physical machines which are treated as RPT workbench machine.
2) There are additional 2 virtual machines which are treated as RPT Agent machine.

Fortunately when either of the physical machines are treated as workbench / Agent machines, the "Agent Not Ready" status is not seen.
However when one of the physical machine is treated as workbench  and a virtual machine is treated as "Agent" machine, we notice the "Agent Not Ready" status occurring intermittently.  The vice-versa of this also shows similar error.

Interestingly, we did all the basic troubleshooting and are unable to conclude on this intermittent behavior. Any inputs on this would be highly appreciated.

Basic Troubleshooting done so far:

1) Closed all the RPT related services / processes  on the agent machines and workbench machine and then restated the same.
2) Clean launch of RPT done.
3) Before executing the RPT schedule, click on "Agent Status" icon and verify what is the status shown here...
4) Added the debug switch in the majordomo config file and validated the majordomo log file that generally gets created in the temporary folder. No helpful data found in this file so far.
5) MajorDomo configuration file verified and appears fine.

After all this attempts, I suspect if there is a know behavior when a physical machine (say : RPT workbench machine) gets connected to a virtual machine( Say: RPT Agent machine), resulting in "Agent Not Ready" status message intermittently ....!!

Thanks in advance

• KMooney
    KMooney
    302 Posts

Re: RPT: "Agent Not Ready" Status

‏2013-06-07T16:31:33Z  

This behavior is particular to version 8.3.  The agent poll interval is 10 seconds and not configurable.  The workbench will report "lost contact" if the agent does not respond in 10 seconds.  It's possible the agent actually is "ready".

I would check the majordomo.log for any exceptions.  If there are intermittent DNS problems it may be better to use IP addresses in majordomo.config.

The good news is that at the next major release, which was announced this week, the poll interval is configurable and the workbench will wait pollInterval+60s before declaring lost contact.

• andryi
    andryi
    29 Posts

‏2013-12-02T19:47:59Z  

Well  I have a similar problem , so I recomend this:

- Unable the firewall in all the Agents for they can pin them

- If you work in Windows 7, check if is install telnet client

and then update the majordomo with the Name of the Agents else with the IP's

• PaulLiskay
    PaulLiskay
    905 Posts

‏2013-12-03T15:15:28Z  
    • andryi
    • ‏2013-12-02T19:47:59Z

Well  I have a similar problem , so I recomend this:

- Unable the firewall in all the Agents for they can pin them

- If you work in Windows 7, check if is install telnet client

and then update the majordomo with the Name of the Agents else with the IP's

To add, for systems that dont have telnet installed, you can use PortQry from Microsoft, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17148

The RPT workbench is the listener, so the test must be done from the majordomo machine to the RPT Workbench machine, it doesnt make sense to test from workbench to agent machine because the agents are the clients the workbench is the server.

Example usage (I'm using port 7082)

C:\PortQryV2>PortQry.exe -n clmperf02 -e 7082

Querying target system called:

clmperf02

Attempting to resolve name to IP address...

Name resolved to x.x.x.xx

querying...

TCP port 7082 (unknown service): LISTENING

C:\PortQryV2>

Updated on 2013-12-03T17:56:13Z at 2013-12-03T17:56:13Z by PaulLiskay
  • Iainf
    Iainf
    4 Posts

‏2014-02-03T15:56:34Z  

Check the majordomo config to ensure that both the IP address of the injector machine and the host name are entered into the config e.g.

<canonicalHostName>rptagent1</canonicalHostName>                        
    <ipAddress>10.0.0.1</ipAddress>

Where rptagent1 is the fully qualified host name of the injector machine and ipAddress is the address for the interface that the machine is listening upon.

This issue appears to only happen when there is no DNS entry for the injector from the workbench host, if this is the case then entries should also be added to the hosts file on both the workbench host (controller) for the injector machines and on the injectors a hosts file entry should be added for the controller machine.