Topic
  • 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-09-03T22:13:56Z by huangjd
huangjd
huangjd
47 Posts

Pinned topic Process Portal useability bug (tasks not displaying)

‏2013-08-09T19:01:44Z |

Version 8.0.1.1 Advanced

In our process portal when a new user gets a task for the first time it is not displaying. In the Process Inspector I can see the user associated to the task.

To get the task to display I have to do a "hard" refresh. This involves:
1) Clicking on Dashboards -> My Team Performance
2) Wait for it to load
3) Click on Work

Once work loads all the tasks the user is suppose to have is now shown. And once this happens, all the tasks get into his Work queue normally. Has anyone encountered this? Is there a simple fix? We are filing a PMR but are hoping there might be some simple config change that might help.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Updated on 2013-08-09T19:02:23Z at 2013-08-09T19:02:23Z by huangjd
  • kolban
    kolban
    3322 Posts

Re: Process Portal useability bug (tasks not displaying)

‏2013-08-11T14:39:58Z  

Hi Jonathan,

Not familiar with the issue.  Does this problem happen with different browser types?  What type of browser are you using?

Neil

• huangjd
    huangjd
    47 Posts

‏2013-08-11T16:34:20Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2013-08-11T14:39:58Z

Hi Jonathan,

Not familiar with the issue.  Does this problem happen with different browser types?  What type of browser are you using?

Neil

I've noticed this behavior in latest firefox and IE 8. So I don't think it's a browser issue.

This happens for all new process apps for a given user. But once the hard refresh happens, all tasks show up and it isn't a problem until a new Process App is deployed. Then new tasks don't show up for the new deployed process app until a hard refresh happens.

Very strange. The workaround is annoying (not a show stopper in my opinion), but our UAT testing group might not think so.

• AndrewPaier
    AndrewPaier
    832 Posts

‏2013-08-13T14:00:22Z  
    • huangjd
    • ‏2013-08-11T16:34:20Z

I've noticed this behavior in latest firefox and IE 8. So I don't think it's a browser issue.

This happens for all new process apps for a given user. But once the hard refresh happens, all tasks show up and it isn't a problem until a new Process App is deployed. Then new tasks don't show up for the new deployed process app until a hard refresh happens.

Very strange. The workaround is annoying (not a show stopper in my opinion), but our UAT testing group might not think so.

Well, a new deployment is a fairly rare occurrence in production, and usually happens during a planned outage.  This would mean that the scenario you are worried about would generally happen when users are logged off, not actively working.  As such (at least if the above assumptions are valid) the act of the user logging on when the arrive at work in the morning would obviate the need for a hard refresh, correct?

There are some people who will role out a new snapshot without a planned outage.  There are also people who ride motorcycles in t-shirts and flip flops.  I try not to associate with either of these types...

Andrew Paier  |  Director  |  BP3 Global, Inc.
    BP3 Global's Website  |  Twitter  |  Linkedin  |  Google+  |  Blogs

• huangjd
    huangjd
    47 Posts

‏2013-08-13T16:06:34Z  

Well, a new deployment is a fairly rare occurrence in production, and usually happens during a planned outage.  This would mean that the scenario you are worried about would generally happen when users are logged off, not actively working.  As such (at least if the above assumptions are valid) the act of the user logging on when the arrive at work in the morning would obviate the need for a hard refresh, correct?

There are some people who will role out a new snapshot without a planned outage.  There are also people who ride motorcycles in t-shirts and flip flops.  I try not to associate with either of these types...

It would not remove the need for a hard refresh. Users logging in Monday after the outage would still need to do a hard refresh.

That is, unless, during our planned outage part of our rollout is to log in individually and hard refresh every user.

• AndrewPaier
    AndrewPaier
    832 Posts

‏2013-08-13T20:31:50Z  
    • huangjd
    • ‏2013-08-13T16:06:34Z

It would not remove the need for a hard refresh. Users logging in Monday after the outage would still need to do a hard refresh.

That is, unless, during our planned outage part of our rollout is to log in individually and hard refresh every user.

I'm surprised to find out that whatever is being cached in this scenario survives both a user logout/login as well as a server restart but does not persist when following the UI steps you have indicated.  Have you confirmed this to be the case?

• dogren@gmail.com
    dogren@gmail.com
    418 Posts

‏2013-08-13T20:50:07Z  

I'm surprised to find out that whatever is being cached in this scenario survives both a user logout/login as well as a server restart but does not persist when following the UI steps you have indicated.  Have you confirmed this to be the case?

Yes, I'm really surprised by this too. I don't have any answers, so I've refrained from posting. (I've never seen anything like this, but my 8.x portal experience isn't super deep)  But here's some things that I'd investigate and/or try:

#1: What do you mean "new user"? I get the impression from the thread that this happens whenever you give a user permission to a new process app. But it might help to narrow it down. Is every time a new snapshot is deployed? (What is going on with a user with existing permissions to an older version of the process app?) Anytime a PG/team is modified? (Try adding permissions to the snapshot after the fact.) Any time a user is added to a security group that should have permission? Depending on exactly how you can reproduce this, we might be looking at something unusual in the group caches.

#2: Does a user login/logout solve it? You seem to indicate that it doesn't in your response to Andrew, but login/logout is where all of the permissions are recalculated, I find it very hard to imagine a situation where login/logout didn't solve the problem, but clicking a report would.

#3: Is there really a connection between the team performance report and the inbox? I have a really hard time thinking of any connection between the team performance report and the state of the inbox. (The Team Performance report doesn't even use any of the normal caches of the system. Or at least it didn't when I worked with it.) Have you really established that only this report will cause the inbox to refresh? How about clicking anywhere else on the portal?

#4: If none of the above helps, check to see if this is really at the portal layer. Try creating a test service that returns the inbox of the user using TWSearch and the javascript API. Trying running the REST APi test sandbox and getting the inbox that way. Try logging on from a different computer and seeing if it might be related to a browser cache.

David

Updated on 2013-08-13T20:51:14Z at 2013-08-13T20:51:14Z by dogren@gmail.com
  • huangjd
    huangjd
    47 Posts

‏2013-08-14T15:23:16Z  

I have noticed this behavior in both our SIT and UAT environments. I have not noticed this in DEV or PROD. Previous deployed app to PROD doesn't seem to be effected (can't confirm this though).

WAS App server restarts and complete server recycles do nothing to fix the issue.

1) New user is probably a bad term. It seems more like when a new process app is deployed. In the Process Inspector I see the username attached to activity if I try to run it there. He's in the group and able to run it. It just doesn't show up in the Process Portal.

2) No

3) No connection. I have only so many test users to try out before the problem goes away. I haven't tried clicking elsewhere. It seems all it does is force the rest API to do an actual call. But then why doesn't a login do the same thing? That's why this is so bizarre!

4) Good idea. When I find time i'll try it out. But in the meantime, a PMR is opened. I'll let IBM help figure this one out.

• dogren@gmail.com
    dogren@gmail.com
    418 Posts

‏2013-08-14T17:31:43Z  
    • huangjd
    • ‏2013-08-14T15:23:16Z

I have noticed this behavior in both our SIT and UAT environments. I have not noticed this in DEV or PROD. Previous deployed app to PROD doesn't seem to be effected (can't confirm this though).

WAS App server restarts and complete server recycles do nothing to fix the issue.

1) New user is probably a bad term. It seems more like when a new process app is deployed. In the Process Inspector I see the username attached to activity if I try to run it there. He's in the group and able to run it. It just doesn't show up in the Process Portal.

2) No

3) No connection. I have only so many test users to try out before the problem goes away. I haven't tried clicking elsewhere. It seems all it does is force the rest API to do an actual call. But then why doesn't a login do the same thing? That's why this is so bizarre!

4) Good idea. When I find time i'll try it out. But in the meantime, a PMR is opened. I'll let IBM help figure this one out.

Weird. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

• jesusNieblas
    jesusNieblas
    7 Posts

‏2014-08-30T18:16:10Z  
    • huangjd
    • ‏2013-08-14T15:23:16Z

2) No

Hello Jonathan,

I know this post is very old but I would like to know if you found the solution to this problem?... now we are experiencing something very similar to this in our 8.0.1.2. We did a new deployment to our production environment, we migrated the data from the old version to the new one and then, some users started to report us that their tasks were not appearing in the portal.

We checked the processAdmin and we saw that the tasks were indeed assigned to these users. At first we thought this was a problem related to orphan tokens, so we opened a PMR in this direction. The IBM Team told us to run the BPMCheckOrphanTokens command but it didn't show up any problem between the snapshots so now we are not really sure this problem is related to orphan tokens. 

We haven't request the users to make this "hard" refresh in the portal (it might be a little confusing to the user to do this), so first I would like to know how it turns out for you Jonathan.

Thank you very much,

• huangjd
    huangjd
    47 Posts

‏2014-09-03T22:13:56Z  

Hello Jonathan,

I know this post is very old but I would like to know if you found the solution to this problem?... now we are experiencing something very similar to this in our 8.0.1.2. We did a new deployment to our production environment, we migrated the data from the old version to the new one and then, some users started to report us that their tasks were not appearing in the portal.

We checked the processAdmin and we saw that the tasks were indeed assigned to these users. At first we thought this was a problem related to orphan tokens, so we opened a PMR in this direction. The IBM Team told us to run the BPMCheckOrphanTokens command but it didn't show up any problem between the snapshots so now we are not really sure this problem is related to orphan tokens. 

We haven't request the users to make this "hard" refresh in the portal (it might be a little confusing to the user to do this), so first I would like to know how it turns out for you Jonathan.

Thank you very much,

Wow, can't believe this happened a year ago... Unfortunately we never came across a solid definitive answer and the problem just stopped showing up. And it was never an issue for us in production, so we just sorta left it alone. 

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.