Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-26T15:43:20Z by george.baker
george.baker
george.baker
337 Posts

Pinned topic Using a NetScaler Load Balancer

‏2013-09-23T13:52:19Z |

This is not strictly a HATS issue, but if does involve implementing a HATS application.

I have a client that uses Citrix NetScaler load balancer in their network.  They want to use NetScaler to replace an HTTP server with the WebSphere plug-in to front end their WAS cluster, but we they are having troubles configuring it properly.  

Has anyone successfully implemented this type of environment that can share their NetScaler configuration rules?

• smithkenny
    smithkenny
    39 Posts

Re: Using a NetScaler Load Balancer

‏2013-09-23T15:05:39Z  

If they want to do that, they should use NetScaler to redirect to their HTTP servers, not the WAS servers. If you circumvent the HTTP servers, you're short circuiting the logic that the HTTP servers use to cache static information, and to route requests to WAS. The WAS HTTP Transport chain has no intelligence for caching of static data, and is not as robust as the apache stack for HTTP transfer. At the very least, put the HTTP servers on the same boxes as the WAS servers. The IBM HTTP Server is the best, and easiest to manage of all of the available HTTP servers.

• george.baker
    george.baker
    337 Posts

‏2013-09-23T16:18:46Z  

If they want to do that, they should use NetScaler to redirect to their HTTP servers, not the WAS servers. If you circumvent the HTTP servers, you're short circuiting the logic that the HTTP servers use to cache static information, and to route requests to WAS. The WAS HTTP Transport chain has no intelligence for caching of static data, and is not as robust as the apache stack for HTTP transfer. At the very least, put the HTTP servers on the same boxes as the WAS servers. The IBM HTTP Server is the best, and easiest to manage of all of the available HTTP servers.

My original design was to do just this, but the customer initially insisted that NetScaler could do the job.  We even had an IBMer WAS expert say that this should work.  However, we have since discovered that there are many issues with NetScaler in this type of configuration, so I'm recommending that we fall back to this environment.  

Thank you for your comments.

• george.baker
    george.baker
    337 Posts

‏2013-09-26T15:43:20Z  

My original design was to do just this, but the customer initially insisted that NetScaler could do the job.  We even had an IBMer WAS expert say that this should work.  However, we have since discovered that there are many issues with NetScaler in this type of configuration, so I'm recommending that we fall back to this environment.  

Thank you for your comments.

We are in fact resolving the issue by placing Web Servers behind the NetScaler and letting NetScaler balance among the HTTP Servers which are running the plug-in.  BTW, this was my initial recommendation.